Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Language » What are some words* that you know ONLY because they are used in your profession or field of expertise? ~

What are some words* that you know ONLY because they are used in your profession or field of expertise? ~

*Please also post their definitions and/or their meanings as they relate to your job. Gracias.

Posted - September 28, 2017

Responses

On myself? Sounds like you need the strap-on department. And that purveyor you like so much, the one who looks like Beatrice Arthur, works there now so after you make your selection, she can take you for a ride.   
      September 29, 2017 12:28 AM MDT

Jake brake. A device used to slow a diesel powered truck, they make a lot of noise and are prohibited in some areas.
      September 28, 2017 10:02 PM MDT

Thank you!
    ~
      September 28, 2017 10:08 PM MDT

Is the Blue Ox engine compression brake still available? I seem to remember that they were supposed to be a LOT more quiet than the Jake Brake . . .
      September 29, 2017 9:50 PM MDT

There are way too many to list, but have a look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_legal_terms
      September 28, 2017 11:17 PM MDT

So, I've gotta wonder . . . if "the Law" is "of the People" and "by the People" and "for the People" why do we have to make it incomprehensible to "the People"? And if it's "by the People" where are all those "People" that speak Latin on a daily basis? This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at September 29, 2017 4:15 PM MDT
      September 29, 2017 4:09 PM MDT

The governing is by and for the people.  The law, other than for Louisiana, was borrowed from England in the beginning.  Much of that English common law is still the law here in both federal and state law.  Much of it has been replaced by American congressional bodies as well as case law.  
      September 29, 2017 6:47 PM MDT

They speak Latin in England? Who knew? (Doctors also used Latin very heavily at one time but it's no longer a required course of study in Med school, by the way.) 

Yes, I'm quite familiar with the USA's legal system having roots in English common law, one of its continuing weaknesses. One might even conclude that might have something to do with the fact that the USA was born out of the original 12 British colonies?

We used to be a nation of Laws, not a nation of lawyers. Given that, it's not possible to separate the Laws from the self-governance "by the People" irrespective of what legal circumvention skills are being taught in what passes for law schools these days. So the quaint tradition of intermixing Latin into our system of jurisprudence only serves to take that governance away from the People and to generate "billable hours" for those with those circumvention skills. 
      September 29, 2017 9:47 PM MDT

A more intelligent reply would have been a simple thank you.
      September 30, 2017 1:24 AM MDT

• Air brake "GLAD HANDS" are coupling devices
    used to connect the service lines (blue) and
    emergency air lines (red) from the truck or tractor to the trailer.

September 28, 2017 11:40 PM MDT

Thanks!
    ~
      September 29, 2017 12:22 AM MDT

• "Top Weight"  (Bowling Ball)  .. is defined as the actual weight difference between the Bottom Half and the Top Half of the Bowling Ball.

September 28, 2017 11:52 PM MDT

Thanks!
    ~
      September 29, 2017 12:23 AM MDT

• "COUNTERSTEERING" ... is used by single-track vehicle operators, such as cyclists and motorcyclists, to initiate a turn toward a given direction by momentarily steering counter to the desired direction ("steer left to turn right").

September 29, 2017 12:00 AM MDT

Thanks!

~
      September 29, 2017 12:23 AM MDT

I know what it is, but I didn't know there was a word for it.
      September 29, 2017 2:41 AM MDT

• I rode with a guy that had been riding for years and he had never heard of it.  He told me I was wrong and didn't know what I was talking about.  I hope he's still alive.  :))
      September 29, 2017 12:54 PM MDT

Ischial tuberosity

That's your butt bone. Massage Therapy.    Hamstrings end there (or start, I think start) and gluteus maximus also has an attachment for sure.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 29, 2017 3:42 PM MDT
      September 29, 2017 1:05 AM MDT

My mother once broke her Ischial tuberosity when her boss pulled a chair out for her to sit in!  
      September 29, 2017 7:21 PM MDT

'Stiff cock' -a faulty angle cock that can cause emergency brake application on a train.

'Kicker' -the railcar with the stiff cock is called a Kicker and may have to be set over into a siding.
      September 29, 2017 1:47 AM MDT

Oh you.
      September 29, 2017 1:41 PM MDT

Recursion, NP.problem, bitslice delay, multi-process races.
      September 29, 2017 2:38 AM MDT

Klystron. It creates microwave radiation for ovens and radars. Just about any electronic component. Those are from the Navy.
      September 29, 2017 12:00 PM MDT

If you're gong to talk klystrons then ad "perveance" to the word list.

But no, typically klystrons don't, or shouldn't be creating microwave energy. If a klystron is creating the signal then it's in self-oscillation and doesn't have very long to live, like minutes, or less. (OK, there's a few self-oscillating klystron designs out there but they're not widely used outside of the laboratory and very specialized applications . . .)

Klystrons typically only amplify the RF signal that's created by the "exciter" and fed to their input. And they have "cavities" that have to be tuned to the frequency on which they're operating. If you want broad-band operation from a microwave tube then you need to go with a TWAT (traveling-wave amplifier tube).

Very high power klystrons used to be used in UHF television transmitters too, at frequencies well below the microwave bands. (Like the Varian VA-955, 55-kW PEP from a single tube, 6-feet tall. VERY inefficient with about -25,000-volts on the cathode end and 6-amperes of "beam" current, to get an average power output of around 30-kW in "visual" service. LOTS of water being turned into steam to keep it cooled). They were replaced with IOT's (inductive-output tubes) and depressed-collector klystrons, then depressed-collector inductive output tubes and now . . . LDMOS transistors. (Those three-toed devices have even worked their way up to C-band satellite uplink amplifiers, formerly the domain of klystrons and TWAT's .)  Although TV transmitters using klystrons went the way of the dodo bird when analog TV went away there's still a lot of depressed-collector IOT tubes out there in that realm. 

Microwave ovens typically use a high-powered self-oscillating/self-excited tube called a magnetron. (I've had to put 3 of those in my own microwave oven over the years . . .) I'm betting that if someone did use a klystron in a microwave oven it would end up costing somewhere north of $20,000.

September 29, 2017 3:26 PM MDT

I was going to say that.
      September 29, 2017 3:43 PM MDT