Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » According to the Bible getting into heaven for the rich people isn't gonna be so easy. How DO YOU pass through the eye of a needle?

According to the Bible getting into heaven for the rich people isn't gonna be so easy. How DO YOU pass through the eye of a needle?

Posted - October 1, 2017

Responses

• Jesus spoke more about money in his ministry than about Heaven and Hell. That, I believe, is due to the pitfalls associated with wealth. The greatest of those problems is the fact that where a man's treasure is, there his heart is also. God doesn't condemn wealth in and of itself. If He did, He would not have made Solomon fabulously wealthy, nor would He have restored the wealth and holdings of Job many times over what he had originally before he suffered loss. It's when a man's attitude toward wealth becomes a barrier between himself and God that the problem arises. When wealth becomes an obstacle in a man's relationship with God and takes on a greater importance than his faith walk, therein lies the foundation for trouble. So, while it is easier for a camel to go through the  eye of a needle than for a rich man to obtain  Heaven, it's not impossible. Again, it's the love of money and not money itself that's the root of all evil. 
      October 1, 2017 6:10 AM MDT

When one studies the history of the Bible’s origin, one thing becomes very obvious: it was written by, and for poor people. There is bias there. 

This isn’t to say it’s texts aren’t applicable to all walks of life, but the general message (as with the nature of religion in general) applies to those who are disenfranchised, or in need of hope or comfort. 

I think we can all agree not everyone who follows the Bible adheres literally to every verse therein. Just as there are those who vilify people who don’t, there are others who rationalize to those who do. Pick and choose is the preferred approach. 

History shows in bold relief that the Bible has been the most reproduced, most cited, the most devisive and misrepresented collection of writings in human history. Since it can be shown with the backing of real evidence that the Bible got the account of where we came from wrong, I can therefore question with confidence it’s claims of where we are going. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 1, 2017 6:27 AM MDT
      October 1, 2017 6:19 AM MDT

Many wealthy people are evil bastards so they can't enter heaven later on, can they? I guess this makes more sense than some of the sh*t the bible say.

October 1, 2017 8:19 AM MDT

There are plenty of evil people who are broke, too. 
      October 1, 2017 9:08 AM MDT

Sure there are but we are talking about wealthy people and goodness. It's easier to be kind, helpful and giving as a rich person. However when a person struggle to put food on the table and roof over her head, then resorting to other things is more justifiable. Rich people can be avaricious. Broke people sometimes do what they do just to survive. Affluent people don't.

October 1, 2017 12:41 PM MDT

Yep. Definitely 
      October 1, 2017 2:21 PM MDT

Speaking of 'evil bastards,' compare god's body count in the bible with satan's, then tell me who is an 'evil bastard'.
      October 7, 2017 10:15 PM MDT

Two wrongs don't make a right sweetheart.
      October 8, 2017 5:11 AM MDT

So where are satans wrongs?
      October 8, 2017 2:00 PM MDT

As I recall, I read about 'The Needle" that was common in the old days of the middle east, most cities were walled and a needle had something to do with a gate. Easy for people to walk through but a bit tight for large animals to pass through. I guess the needle was to keep maurading gangs of  horsemen out.
      October 1, 2017 8:17 AM MDT

It is talking about rich people often rely on thier money as a way of solving thier problems rather than relying on God.
    The "eye of the needle" is about the gate being closed. So if you arrived late, a person would have to unload thier camel and carry it in and the camel actually had to lower itself to get in as well. Making it hard but not impossible.  
      October 1, 2017 1:20 PM MDT

I post this only because it is something I had not heard of before---

In this case, the illustration concerns a dispute between two rabbis, one of whom suggests that the other is speaking "things which are impossible".

The camel was the largest animal seen regularly in Israel, whereas in regions where the Babylonian Talmud was written, the elephant was the biggest animal. Thus the aphorism is culturally translated from a camel to an elephant in regions outside of Israel.

The aim is not, then, to explain away the paradox and make the needle a huge carpet needle for, elsewhere, the Jewish writings use the "eye of the needle" as a picture of a very small place, "A needle's eye is not too narrow for two friends, but the world is not wide enough for two enemies."6 . The ludicrous contrast between the small size of the needle's eye and the largest indigenous animal is to be preserved for its very improbability.

Jesus' hearers believed that wealth and prosperity were a sign of God's blessing (cf. Leviticus and Deuteronomy). So their incredulity is more along the lines that, "if the rich, who must be seen as righteous by God by dint of their evident blessing, can't be saved, who can be?". Later Christians have turned this around to portray wealth as a hindrance to salvation, which it can be – but no more so than many other things, when the message is that salvation is impossible for all men for it comes from God alone.

But beyond impossibility is possibility with God for, elsewhere, a Jewish midrash records:
    "The Holy One said, open for me a door as big as a needle's eye and I will open for you a door through which may enter tents and [camels?]"7
    In other words God only needs the sinner to open up just a crack for him and God will come pouring in and set up room for an oasis. God only needs a 'foot in the door', so to speak.

https://www.biblicalhebrew.com/nt/camelneedle.htm
      October 1, 2017 3:35 PM MDT

they might need god's help to do that
      October 1, 2017 4:53 PM MDT

Article from 1992:

This Is Impossible!
    “IT IS easier for a camel to get through a needle’s eye than for a rich man to get into the kingdom of God.” (Matthew 19:24) Jesus Christ said this to teach his disciples a lesson. A rich young ruler had just turned down an invitation to become Jesus’ follower and share many wonderful spiritual opportunities. The man chose to hold on to his many possessions rather than follow the Messiah.
    Jesus was not saying that it is totally impossible for a rich person to gain everlasting life in the Kingdom arrangement, for certain wealthy individuals became his followers. (Matthew 27:57; Luke 19:2, 9) However, this is impossible for any rich person having a greater love for his possessions than for spiritual things. Only by becoming conscious of his spiritual need and seeking divine help can such a person receive God-given salvation.—Matthew 5:3; 19:16-26.
    The illustration of the camel and the needle’s eye is not to be taken literally. Jesus was using hyperbole to emphasize the difficulty facing wealthy people who try to please God while maintaining a rich, materialistic life-style.—1 Timothy 6:17-19.
    Some say that the needle’s eye was a small gate in a city wall through which a camel could pass with difficulty if relieved of its load. But the Greek word rha·phisʹ, translated “needle” at Matthew 19:24 and Mark 10:25, comes from a verb meaning “sew.” At Luke 18:25 the term be·loʹne denotes a sewing needle, and there the New World Translation reads: “It is easier, in fact, for a camel to get through the eye of a sewing needle than for a rich man to get into the kingdom of God.” Various authorities support this rendering. W. E. Vine says: “The idea of applying ‘the needle’s eye’ to small gates seems to be a modern one; there is no ancient trace of it.”—An Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words.
    A huge camel trying to fit through the eye of a tiny sewing needle “savours of Eastern exaggeration,” says one reference work. And regarding some so shrewd that they seemed to do the impossible, The Babylonian Talmud says: “They draw an elephant through the eye of a needle.” Jesus used typical hyperbole and vivid contrast to emphasize an impossibility. It is impossible for a camel, or an elephant, to go through the eye of a sewing needle. With divine help, however, a rich man can abandon a materialistic view and truly seek everlasting life. So can all who have a heartfelt desire to learn and do the will of the Most High God, Jehovah.

Cited verses:
    (Matthew 19:24) Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to get through a needle’s eye than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God.”
    (Matthew 27:57) Now as it was late in the afternoon, a rich man of Ar·i·ma·theʹa came, named Joseph, who had also become a disciple of Jesus.
    (Luke 19:2) Now a man named Zac·chaeʹus was there; he was a chief tax collector, and he was rich.
    (Luke 19:9) At this Jesus said to him: “Today salvation has come to this house, because he too is a son of Abraham.
    (Matthew 5:3) “Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need, since the Kingdom of the heavens belongs to them.
    (Matthew 19:16-26) Now look! someone came up to him and said: “Teacher, what good must I do to gain everlasting life?” 17 He said to him: “Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is who is good. If, though, you want to enter into life, observe the commandments continually.” 18 He said to him: “Which ones?” Jesus said: “You must not murder, you must not commit adultery, you must not steal, you must not bear false witness, 19 honor your father and your mother, and you must love your neighbor as yourself.” 20 The young man said to him: “I have kept all of these; what am I still lacking?” 21 Jesus said to him: “If you want to be perfect, go sell your belongings and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come be my follower.” 22 When the young man heard this, he went away grieved, for he had many possessions. 23 Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Truly I say to you that it will be difficult for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of the heavens. 24 Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to get through a needle’s eye than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God.” 25 When the disciples heard that, they were greatly astounded, saying: “Who really can be saved?” 26 Looking at them intently, Jesus said to them: “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
    (1 Timothy 6:17-19) Instruct those who are rich in the present system of things not to be arrogant, and to place their hope, not on uncertain riches, but on God, who richly provides us with all the things we enjoy. 18 Tell them to work at good, to be rich in fine works, to be generous, ready to share, 19 safely treasuring up for themselves a fine foundation for the future, so that they may get a firm hold on the real life.
    (Matthew 19:24) Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to get through a needle’s eye than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God.”
    (Mark 10:25) It is easier for a camel to go through a needle’s eye than for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of God.”
    (Luke 18:25) It is easier, in fact, for a camel to get through the eye of a sewing needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God.”
      October 1, 2017 7:35 PM MDT

Thank you for your very thoughtful reply tex and Happy Monday! :)
      October 2, 2017 2:42 AM MDT

Jesus spoke about entering the kingdom of God. He wasn't so much referring to entering heaven. For the majority of mankind entering the kingdom of God is entering God's earthly kingdom. This kingdom is soon to be established here on earth. (Revelation 21:4; Daniel 2:44)
      October 1, 2017 8:51 PM MDT

Yes, that's true. Just as the majority of the Kingdom of England are not part of the government but benefactors of it, so it is with the Kingdom of God. 
    (Matthew 5:5) “Happy are the mild-tempered, since they will inherit the earth.
    (Matthew 6:10) Let your Kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also on earth.
    (Revelation 5:10) and you made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God, and they are to rule as kings over the earth.”
    (Revelation 20:6) Happy and holy is anyone having part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no authority, but they will be priests of God and of the Christ, and they will rule as kings with him for the 1,000 years.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102014241#h=96-120:0
      October 1, 2017 9:51 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Autumn and Happy Monday! :)
      October 2, 2017 2:41 AM MDT