Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Is there no way to escape the Jehovah Witness's?

Is there no way to escape the Jehovah Witness's?

Posted - October 5, 2017

Responses

Quote: "I am not condemning the bible, just saying that there is no reason to assume it was 'written by god' (and quite a few reasons to assume that it was written by many different people at different times in Jewish history)."

Why are you even trying to make a point about anyone assuming it was 'written by god' or that it was written by many different people at different times in Jewish history? That's like me making a point that you and me are participating in a thread on answermug. It's obvious. 

Your comments in several threads on answerbag sure gave the impression of condemnation towards the Bible. No one ever said it was written by God. Pretty much everyone agrees that the Bible was written over a period of some 1,600 years by about 40 different men. Christians believe that they wrote under inspiration of God while they wrote in their own style.
    (2 Peter 1:21) For prophecy was at no time brought by man’s will, but men spoke from God as they were moved by holy spirit.
    (2 Timothy 3:16) All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness,

Quote: "And by the way, I have read it, to the point where I know it better than most Christians do."
    That's not a hard claim to make. I don't believe that very many 'Christians' have read it. 
    What translation did you read? How did it translate God's name? Did it have Hell in it, if so, what words were translated that way?
      October 6, 2017 8:17 AM MDT

Although the original post is funny standing on it's own, I'm distressed for my friends here who are JW, over the subsequent conversation.  Out of all of the Christian based religions, I find Jehovah Witnesses to be the nicest and most respectful to others, of the adherents.  And, they are, without a doubt, being persecuted in Russia.

This post was edited by Harry at October 6, 2017 3:44 PM MDT
      October 6, 2017 7:04 AM MDT

That was sweet. Love your non-biased tolerance of those that have different beliefs than yourself.
      October 6, 2017 8:04 AM MDT

Just as ex JW's throughout the world are persecuted by current members of the cult.
      October 6, 2017 6:06 PM MDT

You must have a different perception to what persecution is than most. You are pleased with what Russia is doing and apparently pleased with those that have turned on their former brothers and turned apostate. If I follow the scriptures and quit responding to all of your taunts, will you think that I am persecuting you?
      October 6, 2017 7:04 PM MDT

Here we go yet again, will you please stop telling me what you think I think or what you think pleases me, I have never said that 'what Russia is doing' gives me any sort of pleasure. It does give me pleasure when someone starts thinking for themselves but how you see that as turning on there former brothers I do not understand when it is you who turn on them by ostracizing simply because the no longer feel sure that your governing body speaks for anyone other than themselves.

As you appear not to feel good if you are not persecuted, here is a little 'taunt' to keep you going.

This post was edited by myonemaster at October 6, 2017 7:41 PM MDT
      October 6, 2017 7:40 PM MDT

And if I remember correctly from those old CD films they're the ones most likely to survive a nuclear attack. (Seek shelter in a doorway(.

(It's just a joke people, not to be taken seriously . . .)
      October 6, 2017 8:46 AM MDT

Lol. 
      October 6, 2017 9:02 AM MDT

Too funny!! :)
      October 6, 2017 3:47 PM MDT

Yes some other persons door, don't they have doors of their own to knock on.
      October 6, 2017 6:03 PM MDT

• Although I don't agree with everything the Jehovah Witnesses believe I've never tried to escape them nor have I ever had a problem with them at any time.
      October 6, 2017 12:17 PM MDT

Q "Is there no way to escape the Jehovah Witness's?"

Not if you're in a space capsule, I'm afraid.

Seriously though, I always give them at least a few minutes at the door and have on many occasions invited them inside. They're always keen to read their selected Bible passages. I think they get brownie points for successfully engaging people in Bible study.
      October 8, 2017 5:05 PM MDT

I am going to try to answer the original question rather more generally...

It asks, "Is there no way to escape the Jehovah's Witnesses?"

Unless you live in a dogmatic theocracy as in parts of the Middle East where apostacy is a very serious criminal offence, or in some other countries where it is legal but extremely dangerous, you are free to "escape" - or just leave - ANY religion or cult.

Being a Jehovah's Witness, as with other churches, implies you attending its meetings or other activities reasonably regularly. You do not have to do so, if you wish to leave that church or cult - you simply go and do something you feel personally better; and if they try asking why you hath forsaken them, say politely but firmly, "It's no longer for me, it's nothing personal against you, but I have given up the cult so Good-bye.." (They might not like the word "cult"!)

However....

Whilst in a democracy like ours you have both legal right to walk away and legal protection from harassment should the organisation or individual followers try that, you may find it socially and familiarly extremely difficult and emotionally very hard, because some religions, sects, cults and churches cannot abide apostacy and are terrified of losing both power over members, and the "members" themselves. Hence as was alleged above, its willingness to break up a family rather than see it accommodate both followers and non-followers.

I recall the now-defunct Experience Project had a number of threads with titles like "I Escaped the Jehovah's Witnesses". (I think one or two even "Survived" it, which is absurd - for all its mental and social cruelty I can't imagine the JW organisation would officially sanction attempts to murder its own apostates...) What was clear that of all the various para-Christian cults and sects going, the JWs seemed to have spawned more "I Escaped" web-sites and stories than the rest put together.

Maybe next time some JW or Mormon evangelist tries door-stepping me I will ask their cult's attrition rate from voluntary leavers....

October 23, 2017 6:00 PM MDT