Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » What causes feet cramps?

What causes feet cramps?

Posted - October 29, 2017

Responses

not sure, go see a doctor and you'll find out
      October 29, 2017 2:34 PM MDT

Never figured that out.  I inherited leg and feet cramping from my mother. I discovered kratom which works well to prevent the cramps. It's a mild opioid sold legally,  might take some searching to find an outlet that sells it -then I found a  'Compassion Club' in my area where it can be got much cheaper: dollar a gram at the store or 20 capsules for $5. (about 14 grams). 3 grams does me fine, also serves well to eliminate other kinds of pain. 
    Not addictive. 
      October 29, 2017 2:55 PM MDT

Disgruntled cobblers?
      October 29, 2017 4:55 PM MDT

Sometimes, foot and leg cramps can be due to something as simple as not drinking enough fluids.  Have you seen your doctor to rule out any issues?
      October 29, 2017 4:59 PM MDT

I drink a lot of coffee and am wondering if that is causing to trouble. I know I need to drink more water, but somehow I drink other things first.
      October 30, 2017 11:22 AM MDT

There are several possible causes such as potassium deficiency, magnesium deficiency, and insufficient blood supply. If you are getting old, those three are about equally likely.
      October 29, 2017 7:19 PM MDT

Recently I started getting painful leg cramps.  When I started taking Magnesium they went away.  I also took Potassium for awhile but it gave me heart palpitations.  It is known to do that so I quit the Potassium.
      October 29, 2017 7:29 PM MDT

"Body Cue No. 5: Crazy muscle cramps in the form of stabbing pains in toes, calves, arches of feet, and backs of legs.

The Deficiency: Magnesium, calcium, and potassium. "If it's happening frequently, it's a tip-off that you're lacking in these," Blum says. And if you're training hard, you can lose more minerals (and water-soluble B vitamins) through heavy sweating.

The Fix: Eat more bananas, almonds, hazelnuts, squash, cherries, apples, grapefruit, broccoli, bok choy, and dark leafy greens like kale, spinach, and dandelion."

https://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/05/09/5-weird-signs-youre-vitamin-deficient.html
      October 29, 2017 10:21 PM MDT

The given answers about, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium etc are right on.
    For me, as well as those supplements listed that I use...and extra bananas,
    Gas was also a culprit. Gas would block the Chi going down through the legs,
    and I would get incredibly painful calf muscle cramps.
    Once I take Rolaids (Calcium, Magnesium) or something for gas, and belch it all out
    the beginnings of leg cramps subside and they don't happen.
         I get gas from almost whatever I eat, tried acupuncture a few times, and the Dr
    and I realized what the problem was almost at the same time. The gas 
    would block the Chi and the muscle would start twitching, because
    the energy flow was being blocked by the Gas.
         I go to bed at one AM and like clockwork three hrs later the muscle starts twitching
    and wakes me up. So I take a few Rolaids, belch it all out, and the twitching goes away.
    And i have avoided a tightened up painful calf muscle cramp.
         Two bananas a day is good prevention as well...

This post was edited by Baba at October 30, 2017 6:50 AM MDT
      October 30, 2017 6:29 AM MDT

I take Tums every day because of the stuff that is in it. Maybe I need to take more.
      October 30, 2017 11:19 AM MDT

Neglect

Also, do not drink any coffee for a good week or so and see what happens.  No cramps?  There's your answer.

Quick Answer

Severe foot and leg cramps can be the result of magnesium or potassium deficiency, problems with blood circulation in the legs, nerve malfunction, dehydration and muscle fatigue, among other conditions, according to WebMD. They can also be a side effect of certain medications, such as Lasix, Aricept and Procardia. Continue Reading
    Keep Learning

How do you eliminate leg cramps at night?
    What causes feet and leg cramps?
    What causes muscle cramps in the thigh?

Full Answer

Muscle cramps may also be exercise related, resulting from inadequate stretching before exercise, over-exertion of the muscle while exercising or exercising in the heat, explains WebMD. In pregnant women, leg and foot cramps can be the result of a calcium deficiency. To help ease a muscle cramp, sufferers can try massaging the muscle, warming or icing the muscle, stretching or taking a bath with Epsom salt. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 30, 2017 12:47 PM MDT
      October 30, 2017 11:20 AM MDT