Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » What mistranslation in the Bible grants the Pope power to mistranslate everything else in the Bible and make it law?

What mistranslation in the Bible grants the Pope power to mistranslate everything else in the Bible and make it law?

Posted - October 31, 2017

Responses

Probably something in the Apopcrapha that gives Pope authority.
      October 31, 2017 7:25 AM MDT

I didn't think the Old Testament mentioned anything about the Pope.

Given your suggestion that any of us could be trolls, perhaps you might indulge us and post a reference. 
      October 31, 2017 11:10 AM MDT

I am talking about the Books that were removed from to make the Protestant Bible, there must be something somewhere as Protestants do not follow the Pope and Catholic do...so I assume there is supporting scripture in the Books that were removed.  I have not read them so just a guess on my part.
      October 31, 2017 11:49 AM MDT

Well, assuming can make an a** out of one of us.  Why would you assume the pope was ever mentioned in the Old Testament? This post was edited by tom jackson at October 31, 2017 1:18 PM MDT
      October 31, 2017 1:18 PM MDT

My bad....I did not realize the Apocrypha was only Old Testament.
      October 31, 2017 3:34 PM MDT

From what I remember, the apocryphyl writings are kinda dispersed in with the Hebrew scriptures in Catholic Bibles. The original 1611 KJV also had them. There are other later writings sometimes called something like 'Apocryphal Works'.

https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01601a.htm

Gnostic acts of the apostles

Acts of St. Peter

There exist a Greek and a Latin Martyrdom of Peter, the latter attributed to Pope Linus, which from patristic citations are recognized as the conclusion of an ancient Greek narrative entitled "Acts, or Circuits of St. Peter". Another manuscript, bearing the name "Actus Petri cum Simone", contains a superior translation with several passages from the original narrative preceding the Martyrdom. The work betrays certain tokens of Gnosticism, although it has been purged of its grossest features by a Catholic reviser. It describes the triumph of St. Peter over Simon Magus at Rome, and the Apostle's subsequent crucifixion. These Acts as we have them are of high antiquity, though it is impossible to always discern whether patristic writers are quoting from them or an earlier tradition. Undoubtedly Commodian (c. 250) employed our extant Acts of Peter.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200000305?q=apocrypha&p=par
    Apocrypha

October 31, 2017 5:53 PM MDT

What have you been smoking and where can I get some?

Give me ONE example. Just one.
      October 31, 2017 9:13 AM MDT

• Catholics don't believe in sola scriptura. They believe that revelation continues into the modern day, and that some theological knowledge comes from outside the Bible. 
      October 31, 2017 10:45 AM MDT

If the Pope is the temporal head of Christ's church, then he was given that authority (Christ...Peter...Pope).

Whether he exercises that power properly is a separate issue.

While the ordinary teaching magisterium of the church carries great weight in the formation of conscience for the individual Catholic; the Pope is guaranteed freedom from error when speaking "ex cathedra"  (From the chair, as the Pope).

And that's only happened what---6 times in 2000 years?---and it relates to what you must believe to be considered a "Catholic." 
      October 31, 2017 11:05 AM MDT

not sure
      October 31, 2017 4:57 PM MDT

• For all intents and purposes, Catholics accept the traditional teachings of the Vatican as superior to whatever the Word of God actually says. So what the Pope says and does has little or nothing to do with the Bible. He makes up his own rules, laws, and regulations as he go's. Jesus plainly condemned placing the traditions of religion over the Word of God.  Mark 7:6-13,  Psalm 118:8 
      November 2, 2017 10:10 AM MDT