Active Now

Flint Ironstag
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Apparently General Kelly is unaware of why the Civil War was fought. Are Generals generally that ignorant of US history?

Apparently General Kelly is unaware of why the Civil War was fought. Are Generals generally that ignorant of US history?

Posted - October 31, 2017

Responses

this one is
      October 31, 2017 2:50 PM MDT

It seems that nobody knows why the civil war was fought. The best theory is put forth by an economist named Kondratieff who studied market records and found a cycle of 35 to 70 years, with two distinct types of wars in each cycle. So the only real reason for any war is that it was time for one.
      October 31, 2017 7:20 PM MDT

The war was fought because the South attempted to secede. They tried to secede because:
    1. Taxes and Tarriffs
    2. The South were loosing political power. They had controlled the Federal gov since the beginning. Because of population (3/5th compromise) But the North slowly began to out populate the South mostly because of new immigrants. 
    Lincoln won the 1860 election without one electoral vote from the South....his name was not even on the ballot.

Yes some were fighting against slavery (those new radical Republicans) 

But as most things in life...it always comes down to money. This post was edited by my2cents at November 1, 2017 3:05 PM MDT
      November 1, 2017 9:56 AM MDT

Succeed at what?
      November 1, 2017 10:39 AM MDT

Oops.. typos
      November 1, 2017 12:10 PM MDT

Typos, like a weapon accidentally discharging, occasionally happen.  

But when a gun fires 6 times, somebody is pulling the trigger.

How do one make a "typo" that many time.

I suspect it's more similar to your using "rhino" instead of "rino" when talking about Senator John McCain
      November 1, 2017 1:12 PM MDT

It was twice. I guess the McCain thread is still bothering you. 
      November 1, 2017 1:17 PM MDT

First, a very VERY poor analogy using firearms as a comparison.

And your English is abysmal.  

How do does one make a "typo" that many time times.
    Unless you're speaking in a language other that English (Ebonics, perhaps?) you have an issue with tense and verb conjugation. 
    This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at November 1, 2017 3:05 PM MDT
      November 1, 2017 1:20 PM MDT

I would describe your response to my analogy as "sour grapes"---typical of someone who is unable to understand my analogies.

I occasionally promulgate an esoteric cogitation with the intent to obfuscate, but this was not one of those times.  I suspect the problem is with you as the receiver, not I as the sender.

The internet was "hanging" that day---not all the letters I typed showed up immediately.  After a while, I stopped bothering to proof read, since the letters seemed to be showing up eventually as I typed.

But no one who reads my answers on this or any other site would ever think that I am unaware of any English grammar rules.

November 4, 2017 2:33 PM MDT

:):):) Happy Thursday tom.
      November 2, 2017 3:05 AM MDT

Generals are usually very knowledgeable about history, but apparently, this one isn't.
      November 1, 2017 1:21 PM MDT

So what "historical inaccuracies" did General Kelly espouse? This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at November 1, 2017 1:29 PM MDT
      November 1, 2017 1:29 PM MDT

Unless Kelly is just playing dumb so he doesn't outshine The Donald John. Thank you for your reply Zack and Happy Thursday to you m'dear! :)
      November 2, 2017 1:59 AM MDT

Do you mean The "War of Northern Aggression" ?

What, exactly, did the good General say about why the Civil War was fought? And now that we're on the subject . . . what did MSNBC tell you to think about the reason for that insurrection? This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at November 1, 2017 3:06 PM MDT
      November 1, 2017 1:22 PM MDT

History has always been debated. If people can't agree on the present, why the hell would they be able to agree on the past?

The civil war wasn't really about slavery. It was much more complex than that.

Kelly's comments were absolutely correct and I don't care if a few race baiting, neo Marxist, scumbag historians disagree. Their comments are very transparently politically motivated. This post was edited by Zeitgeist at November 1, 2017 6:17 PM MDT
      November 1, 2017 1:30 PM MDT

For some, apparently slavery was a big issue, but for the majority, I think it was something else. I don't think that non-slave owning whites in the South would be willing to put their lives and the lives of their families on the line to keep slavery and also not sure how many whites in he North that didn't know any slaves or perhaps didn't realize how bad the maltreatment of slaves was, would have been willing to put their lives and the lives of their families on the line to prevent slavery?

https://www.civilwar.org/learn/articles/reasons-secession
      November 1, 2017 3:05 PM MDT

The war was fought because the pro-slave folks wanted to keep that awesome tradition alive. There was no other reason for it tex. It tore the nation apart. The union folks and the confederates. The folks that joined underground railways to help slaves escape wasn't confederates. The issue isn't dead. That's what racism is all about. Racists believe they are superior to and better than people of color. They reek of it. The stench surrounds them in everything they say and do.  I think it is a big part of many peoples lives. The belief they are so much better based simply on the color of their skin. It is what it is. People will never change. The ones who believe they are better will always be among us. If it isn't because of skin color(racism) then it is because of religion or politics or how much money you make (bigotry). Bigots/Racists. I can do without them very nicely thank you but I fear there are millions and millions and millions of them. How many I don't know but one is way too many. SIGH. Thank you for your reply. Patriots fought on the Union side. Traitors fought on the Confederate  side. Yesterday General Kelly said that Robert E. Lee was a great man. A good man. I rest my case. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      November 2, 2017 2:08 AM MDT