Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » There are structures on earth that were built thousands of years ago. What have we built in modern times that will last thousands of years?

There are structures on earth that were built thousands of years ago. What have we built in modern times that will last thousands of years?

Posted - November 3, 2017

Responses

Funny enough. I just thought about it. I searched and couldn't point out any. 
      November 3, 2017 10:22 AM MDT

Isn't that sad?  We modern folks tear down to make room to build anew. We continually erase traces of ourselves. I think that is very peculiar. Thank you for your reply palmagolden and Happy Saturday! :)
      November 4, 2017 1:36 AM MDT

youre welcome. Happy Saturday 
      November 4, 2017 4:31 AM MDT

Thank you m'dear! :)
      November 4, 2017 7:35 AM MDT

The human race will never think in those terms anymore. I guess you can say that our mindset has dumbed-down through the centuries. This post was edited by Zack at November 4, 2017 1:37 AM MDT
      November 3, 2017 10:26 AM MDT

We build for short-term, not long-term. We don't treasure the past. We erase it. Go figger! Thank you for your reply Zack and Happy Saturday! :)
      November 4, 2017 1:38 AM MDT

Landfill sites.
      November 3, 2017 11:39 AM MDT

Trash heaps? How sad is that? Thank you for your reply Kg and Happy Saturday to thee.
      November 4, 2017 1:39 AM MDT

Greece has the largest Rubbish tip in the world....they recycle noting ....the site is so vast and the ground level has risin 700 metres higher......when Rubbish lorries drive across the site the whole Rubbish pile moves.....

They  never sweep up or keep the site clean and the whole place looks like a tip.......
      November 6, 2017 5:47 PM MST

Greece? Oh gosh NJ that seems blasphermous to me! Ancient Greece! Responsibl for so much beauty and intellectual giants! A vast trash heap? That hurts my heart tell you the truth. Thank you for the info though I can't say it makes me want to sing!   Not your fault. It is what it is!  :(
      November 7, 2017 7:49 AM MST

not sure
      November 3, 2017 12:46 PM MDT

Quiet a few would if left to Nature, though change of use or disuse, and erosion, would considerably alter them. It is highly unlikely any would survive millennia intact.

So what would leave at least significant traces?

Large earthworks like road and railway embankments, cuttings and tunnels, to some extent.

Massive concrete structures such as military blockhouses and bunkers, at least some dams and harbour walls to some degree.

The more heavily-built roads though probably not recognisably, and after centuries of disuse their ruins would be buried below soil and vegetation.

Quarries (if you can call big open holes in the ground, "structures" and "built").

Some mines, though probably not coal-mines.

Foundations of buildings, below the soil and vegetation.
      November 6, 2017 3:34 PM MST