Active Now

Echooos
Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Is forcing change a good or bad thing?

Is forcing change a good or bad thing?

Change for the good that is.

Posted - November 6, 2017

Responses

bad cause youre forcing it, good if youre not
      November 6, 2017 2:38 PM MST

• Most often the answer is no, it's not a good thing or idea.  The outcome and intentions may be good and just but the the act of forcing often causes unseen damage while hampering the nobility of the cause.
      November 6, 2017 2:42 PM MST

If a thing is 'forced' on you, then who is it that gets to decide what is 'good'? This post was edited by DCLXVI at November 7, 2017 5:22 AM MST
      November 6, 2017 3:10 PM MST

Inspiration to change would usually work better but in Canada we were forced to change to metric many years ago,  lotta grumbling and cost lotta $$$ to change. 
    I guess it works more efficiently with international trade,  most countries are methic. Science is all metric.
      November 6, 2017 3:19 PM MST

I think it's sometimes necessary and turns out to be a good thing, but it's always more effective if it doesn't appear to be forced (even if it actually is). Most people respond better to suggestions, rather than orders.  
      November 6, 2017 3:54 PM MST

• That's the difference between persuading and forcing. The needed changes come from educating and reasoning.
      November 6, 2017 4:19 PM MST

Yep. Or just plain trickery. 
      November 6, 2017 4:25 PM MST

Really not good to force anyone into
    an understanding to evoke change-
    the understanding will not be correct.
         Doors open perfectly easy 
    when correct attitude is embellished
    and understood and change happens
    automatically without being forced.
         When Heart is in balance
    change can be talked about with understanding
    embellishing change as it is changing....
    .....so if you force it
    some of the understanding is lost 
    some of the beauty is lost
    some of the feeling is lost

November 6, 2017 6:31 PM MST

No, it's better to convince people to accept the change. If you force it then people are more likely to reject it and push back against it.
      November 6, 2017 7:17 PM MST

Lately, to me, it seems that even before the forcing began, no one would even agree on what is "good" and what is "bad" in the first place.
    :)
      November 6, 2017 8:32 PM MST

Don't leave it to my imagination, Welby...explain now;))
      November 6, 2017 9:41 PM MST

I guess using general politics as a way for a positive growth in societal progress was what I was thinking about -- heated arguments seem to happen all the time about gun control, tax increases/decreases and for whom, world climate change, etc. Though there is consensus on some of these, there are people who disagree on what should be done for the good process/change.

I hope that made some sort of sense - - it doesn't so much to me as I read it.

There was a couple of more 'interesting and intriguing' applications to my answer, too, ha!
      November 7, 2017 5:21 AM MST

Smooching is a bad thing forcing it by saying it is good is bad...;))
    Zack...just kidding;))
      November 6, 2017 9:44 PM MST