Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Why do some Christians associate the Lament of the King of Tyre in Ezekiel with lucifer or satan?

Why do some Christians associate the Lament of the King of Tyre in Ezekiel with lucifer or satan?

In the lament of the prince of tyre, it says that he was an anointed cherub in the garden of Eden, and designed by God.  What on earth is this all about?

Posted - December 3, 2017

Responses

KJV says Tyrus instead of Tyre.
    https://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/eze/28/12/t_bibles_830012
    Ezek 28:12 (KJV) Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.
      December 3, 2017 6:06 PM MST

Thank you texasecimo, funny you type in king of Tyre and it associates both Tyre and Tyrus as the same thing.

Wikipedia - The traditional king-list of Tyre, the ancient Phoenician city in what is now Lebanon, is derived from Josephus, Against Apion I.121-127, and his Antiquities of the Jews VIII.141-149. His list was based on a lost history by Menander of Ephesus, who had drawn his information, Josephus asserts, from the chronicles of Tyre itself.

Quote Biblehub - And, O daughter of Tyre, with a gift shall the rich of the people intreat thy favour, making the bride a Tyrian princess. But apart from other objections, the daughter of Tyre should mean, according to the analogy of the similar phrases, daughter of Zion, daughter of Babylon, not an individual Tyrian woman, but the city and people of Tyre personified as a woman

https://biblehub.com/commentaries/psalms/45-12.htm

There is also a king of tyre in greek mythology and he has a daughter called Europa which is what Europe was named after, she is seen on European money and in European countries seen riding the bull Zeus. |I wonder if there is a link, since much mythology tells the same story?

This post was edited by kjames at December 6, 2017 1:58 PM MST
      December 6, 2017 1:34 PM MST

"I wonder if there is a link, since much mythology tells the same story?"

Like maybe they were all looking at the same thing? You don't have to read many pages in history to realize that the sky above the Earth looked very different just a few thousand years ago. You might wonder why the ancients named their god after a planet that most people now can't even point to. Well, they were quite explicit about that: they didn't worship gods named for planets, they worshiped the planets. In ancient days, Jupiter and Saturn dominated the sky, and Venus and Mars put on quite a show for a long time.

Here is a careful investigation of ancient myths and legends, considering stories in hundreds of languages from all over the world and going back to 10,500 BC. It is very long, and it is still in progress. https://www.saturniancosmology.org/
      December 7, 2017 9:16 AM MST

Thank you Jewels Vern, I cannot get the link up, it's telling me page cannot be displayed.
      December 7, 2017 4:58 PM MST

You have to type in the website, removing the 's' from 'https' that answermug always adds to 'http'. Or copy and paste but delete the 's' before submitting.
      December 7, 2017 5:44 PM MST

Ok, thank you texasescimo
      December 7, 2017 7:41 PM MST

So obvious.  It is out of someone's head that lived 30 centuries ago for starters.

So, it means zilch. 

I have stories that are just as bizarre and not provable either.  Any time we have spirituality and mysticism combined, we cannot begin to imagine what was meant zillions of days ago.

Let's see what I, a non-bible thumper can find for ya.  What a surprise.  The exact question is already ON here.  You must have ESP.

Is the king of Tyre prophecy in Ezekiel 28 referring to Satan?
    Subscribe to our Question of the Week:
    King of Tyre
    Question: "Is the king of Tyre prophecy in Ezekiel 28 referring to Satan?"

Answer: At first glance, the prophecy in Ezekiel 28:11–19 seems to refer to a human king. The city of Tyre was the recipient of some of the strongest prophetic condemnations in the Bible (Isaiah 23:1–18; Jeremiah 25:22; 27:1–11; Ezekiel 26:1– 28:19; Joel 3:4–8; Amos 1:9, 10). Tyre was known for building its wealth by exploiting its neighbors. Ancient writers referred to Tyre as a city filled with unscrupulous merchants. Tyre was a center of religious idolatry and sexual immorality. The biblical prophets rebuked Tyre for its pride brought on by its great wealth and strategic location. Ezekiel 28:11–19 seems to be a particularly strong indictment against the king of Tyre in the prophet Ezekiel’s day, rebuking the king for his insatiable pride and greed.

OK  I read this so far and I know that I can answer you.  I get it.  This is the center of ego.  This is the opposite of God.  The Devil is the mind.  What comes from the mind is the stuff of Satan.  Greed, desire, want, envy, lust... you know... the 7 deadlies.  Those.  That was what this city symbolized.

So, Tyre is the opposite of God who is pure love, acceptance, desireless, giving not taking, etc.  It does not matter who he was or what transpired much beyond this lesson. This is the lesson.   When ego manifests and takes over love of God, that is the end result.  Whether you are in Tyre or in the White House.

However, some of the descriptions in Ezekiel 28:11–19 go beyond any mere human king. In no sense could an earthly king claim to be “in Eden” or to be “the anointed cherub who covers” or to be “on the holy mountain of God.” Therefore, most Bible interpreters believe that Ezekiel 28:11–19 is a dual prophecy, comparing the pride of the king of Tyre to the pride of Satan. Some propose that the king of Tyre was actually possessed by Satan, making the link between the two even more powerful and applicable.

Before his fall, Satan was indeed a beautiful creature (Ezekiel 28:12–13). He was perhaps the most beautiful and powerful of all the angels. The phrase “guardian cherub” possibly indicates that Satan was the angel who “guarded” God’s presence. Pride led to Satan’s fall. Rather than give God the glory for creating him so beautifully, Satan took pride in himself, thinking that he himself was responsible for his exalted status. Satan’s rebellion resulted in God casting Satan from His presence and will, eventually, result in God condemning Satan to the lake of fire for all eternity (Revelation 20:10).

Like Satan, the human king of Tyre was prideful. Rather than recognize God’s sovereignty, the king of Tyre attributed Tyre’s riches to his own wisdom and strength. Not satisfied with his extravagant position, the king of Tyre sought more and more, resulting in Tyre taking advantage of other nations, expanding its own wealth at the expense of others. But just as Satan’s pride led to his fall and will eventually lead to his eternal destruction, so will the city of Tyre lose its wealth, power, and status. Ezekiel’s prophecy of Tyre’s total destruction was fulfilled partially by Nebuchadnezzar (Ezekiel 29:17–21) and ultimately by Alexander the Great.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 3, 2017 5:52 PM MST
      December 3, 2017 4:43 PM MST

Thank you for your input Sharonna, a good read.
      December 3, 2017 5:28 PM MST

That was most kind of you.  I really was interested in the story once I looked it up.  Pretty cool.
      December 3, 2017 5:30 PM MST

I do appreciate a thoughtful response and the time it takes, it makes the question worthwhile and I get to learn something.
      December 3, 2017 5:33 PM MST