Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Borrowing a Randy~ Challenge. Name all the examples Alanis Morrisette gave in this song that are NOT ironic. This song is wrong.

Borrowing a Randy~ Challenge. Name all the examples Alanis Morrisette gave in this song that are NOT ironic. This song is wrong.

Ironic
Alanis Morissette
An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day
It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
Isn't it ironic, don't you think
It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought, it figures
Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids good-bye
He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
And as the plane crashed down he thought
"Well, isn't this nice."
And isn't it ironic, l don't you think
It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought, it figures

Posted - December 4, 2017

Responses

I don't think it's ever ironic for a 98 year old man to die, is it? And what could he have really done with that money, anyway? 

Chardonnay is white wine, so at least you can see the fly, right? It's just a glass of wine, ffs. 

That death row pardon... that's not ironic, it's criminal! 

You're right, the song is complete crap! :)
      December 4, 2017 10:42 AM MST

Well I see where you are going, but I am kind of more looking to show that none of these fits the example of irony.  ...

none of these examples she gives in the song are ironic because they don't fit this defnition

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
    i·ro·ny1
    ˈīrənē/
    noun
    noun: irony

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
    "“Don't go overboard with the gratitude,” he rejoined with heavy irony"
    synonyms: sarcasm, causticity, cynicism, mockery, satire, sardonicism
    "that note of irony in her voice"
    antonyms: sincerity
    a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.
    plural noun: ironies
    "the irony is that I thought he could help me"
    synonyms: paradox, incongruity, incongruousness
    "the irony of the situation"
    antonyms: logic
    a literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the full significance of a character's words or actions are clear to the audience or reader although unknown to the character.
    noun: dramatic irony

Origin
    early 16th century (also denoting Socratic irony): via Latin from Greek eirōneia ‘simulated ignorance,’ from eirōn ‘dissembler.’
    i·ro·ny2
    ˈīərnē/
    adjective
    adjective: irony

of or like iron.
    "an irony gray color"

Translate irony to
    Use over time for: irony
      December 4, 2017 10:53 AM MST

I thought about it more later. The "meeting the man of my dreams, and then meeting his beautiful wife". Not ironic at all. More like meeting a dreamy man and then discovering he's gay. More ironic and more realistic, too. :)
      December 7, 2017 11:48 AM MST

If I don't remember about none of it being ironic, I like the song.
    :)
    I like how she sings here and the melody.

I still can't keep the "irony" definition straight in my head -- even though you've added a great definition in your reply above.

Hey, would it be ironic that I like very much a song about irony, as long as I pay no attention to the words and Alannis' intended meaning? AS in, "I very much like your song as long as I pay no attention to the words!"
    Ha!
      December 4, 2017 1:52 PM MST

I never liked her music.

I like her. 
      December 4, 2017 2:18 PM MST

I'm starting to like her music more and more for some reason. Her 'older' hits I should say. When I first heard them I didn't so much like them --  not I'm beginning to.
    I like her, too.
      May 20, 2018 7:28 PM MDT

I think the examples she gives just about qualify as ironic

See definition #2;

From the Collins online dictionary ...

ironic

(
    aɪrɒnɪk  ) or ironical (aɪrɒnɪkəl  )

1. adjective
    When you make an ironic remark, you say something that you do not mean, as a joke.
    At the most solemn moments he will flash a mocking smile or make an ironic remark.
    People used to call me Mr Popularity at high school, but they were being ironic.
    2. adjective
    If you say that it is ironic that something should happen, you mean that it is odd or amusing because it involves a contrast.
    Does he not find it ironic that the sort of people his movie celebrates hardly ever watch this kind of movie?
    Synonyms: paradoxicalabsurdcontradictorypuzzling

But the difference of opinion is probably because American's have a slightly different interpretation, note definition #4;

ironic in American

(aɪˈrɑnɪk  īränˈik)

adjective
    meaning the contrary of what is expressed
    using, or given to the use of, irony
    having the quality of irony; directlyopposite to what is or might be expected
    marked by coincidence or by a curious or striking juxtaposition of events
    regarded by many as a loose usage

If you guys over the pond really consider definition #4 to be a loose usage, then certainly it's normal that you'd object to Morrisette's lyrics - especially as there are so many other words we could use to describe the examples she gives! Rain on wedding days is supposed be lucky - as are other things that can ruin your clothing (like being shat on by a bird for example!) - and the late reprieve is tragic
      December 4, 2017 10:39 PM MST

Is it mere coincidence that I happened to be ironing just as I logged on and came across this question, a question that not only names me but its topic is irony?

~
      December 5, 2017 12:27 AM MST

Nothing hotter than a man with an iron. 
      December 7, 2017 11:45 AM MST

The only ironic thing about the song is that it doesn't include a single example of irony.
      December 5, 2017 5:22 AM MST