Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Peter Jackson is one of the GREAT directors. Here's why below. Choose your favorite and tell us why. This is supposed to be intelligent

Peter Jackson is one of the GREAT directors. Here's why below. Choose your favorite and tell us why. This is supposed to be intelligent

Jackson is known for his attention to detail, a habit of shooting scenes from many angles, a macabre sense of humour, and a general playfulness—the latter to a point that The Lord of the Rings conceptual designer Alan Lee jokingly remarked, "the film is almost incidental really".[90][full citation needed]

Jackson was a noted perfectionist on the Lord of the Rings shoot, where he demanded numerous takes of scenes, requesting additional takes by repeatedly saying, "one more for luck".[91][92] Jackson is also renowned within the New Zealand film industry for his insistence on "coverage"—shooting a scene from as many angles as possible, giving him more options during editing. Jackson has been known to spend days shooting a single scene. This is evident in his work where even scenes featuring simple conversations often feature a wide array of multiple camera angles and shot-sizes as well as zooming closeups on characters' faces. One of his most common visual trademarks is shooting close-ups of actors with wide-angle lenses.[93] He was an early user of computer enhancement technology and provided digital special effects to a number of Hollywood films.[94]

Posted - December 23, 2017

Responses

Ok, but how soon before he's also out on his ear due to sexual harassment claims like so many others of his ilk?

~
      December 23, 2017 4:56 PM MST

Completely ballsed up LOTR, twisted the storyline into something completely unrecognizable by Tolkien fans - and went against the author's express wishes by dramatizing it in the first place. In his essay On Faerie, JRR Tolkein stated that the whole point of fantasy is to stimulate the reader's imagination. When portrayed on stage or screen, imagination is taken out of the equation - which renders the entire genre pointless. 
    I was so bitterly disappointed by the Fellowship that I've never watched another Peter Jackson movie and never will. No Bombadil. No Gildor Iglorion. Arwen (who, Appendix B aside, gets three paragraphs in the entire six books) mutated into a major character in a sop to gender inclusion, something Tolkien didn't do because it got in the way of the story. The love affair between Aragorn and Arwen, while sweet, had little or no bearing on the War of the Ring and the Red Book of Westmarch, penned by Bilbo and Frodo, would not have mentioned it.
      December 23, 2017 5:44 PM MST

I thought Ernest Borgnine would have made a great Bombadil.
    :)
      February 26, 2018 9:36 AM MST

My favorite Peter Jackson film (pre-"Lord of the Rings")
    This movie is in my Top Ten list.
    :)

"Heavenly Creatures"

Melanie Lynskey and a Pre-Titanic Kate Winslet are terrific!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 23, 2017 8:55 PM MST
      December 23, 2017 7:17 PM MST

Sorry never heard of him.  Or saw any of those films.  But will take your word for it. 
      December 23, 2017 8:04 PM MST