Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Do you have a favorite bird?

Do you have a favorite bird?

I have three. The Robin, the starling and the swallow.

Posted - December 28, 2017

Responses

I love hawks.  I saw one rip the head off a dove and I wasn't even mad about it.

December 28, 2017 12:27 PM MST

• Last year I disturbed a hawk that had just caught a pigeon. He didn’t want to finish the kill with me watching. He let it go, or it managed to get away.
      December 29, 2017 6:05 AM MST

I love whippoorwills. They always remind me of my childhood when I would play outside or go fishing until the evening and they would start singing.
      December 28, 2017 11:11 AM MST

• I’d never heard of those. I had to google it
      December 28, 2017 12:17 PM MST

I most definitely do.  I like birds of prey (especially Kitty and Hawk) and seagulls very much.... BUT I have one bird in specific that I am particularity fond of.  The crow. 
    I have a wild pet crow named Crawford.  Years ago he made his presence known.  At that moment we had a love/hate relationship.  He drove me CRAZY.  I thought of every humane way to get rid of this bird and he wouldn't budge. Thank goodness for the wisdom of him.
    Time came and passed and we have become the bestest of friends.  I rely on him and say good morning to him every morning.  He does the same.  I truly love Crawford.  We've been friends for many, many years. This post was edited by Merlin at December 30, 2017 10:37 AM MST
      December 28, 2017 11:40 AM MST

• Aww that’s nice. I like crows too. They can be friendly. I did a job last year for a woman who would put water and food out for one. It was cool. They can be noisy though, they nest on my roof
      December 28, 2017 12:21 PM MST

Hi Gypsyking~ Ahhhh Yes!!!  They certainly can!!  My mother isn't fond of them at all.  She used to work nights at the hospital.  When she tried to sleep, there were a bunch of them that would keep her up all day.  This was waaaayyyy before Crawford.  This didn't win them any points with her.  She has since forgiven them but I don't think they make her top 10 list.
    Crawford and I started out not on the best of terms for that exact reason, too.  Not only was he loud, he was persistent as well.  Then, I noticed he followed me when I went to the market or to Don's work.  I have a convertible so I could not only hear him, at times I could see him along the way.  I do know there is more than one crow in Southern California (giggles) but it was him.  His loyalty immense.  I began to appreciate his worry and hovering.  I talk to him all the time and told him I think he should find a girlfriend.  About a two years ago, I'm pretty sure he did.  He seems to be a little distracted from time to time and I've seen him flying with another, too.  I'm extremely happy for him.  A little jealous but happy!  (Big blushing smiles).  
    I feel your pain about them being noisy on your roof.  I've been told, however, by a few bird extraordinaires that crows are very intelligent and if you are chosen, like it sounds you have been, you should be flattered.
    I've always wondered if they told me that to make me feel better.... but, I like to think it's true.  Sorry for the screeches though... trust me, I feel ya and hear ya.  ;) ;) This post was edited by Merlin at December 29, 2017 7:31 AM MST
      December 28, 2017 5:46 PM MST

• I bet he still thinks about you even though he has a girlfriend now. I don’t mind the noise too much it’s not bad. I’m glad I posted this bird question. It’s  been a fun one :) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 29, 2017 7:31 AM MST
      December 28, 2017 6:59 PM MST

What a nice thing to say Gypsyking!  Thank you.  I hope he does ;)  I'm glad you posted this question too.  I like all the questions you've posted. :)  I look for them when I come on :)  See you on another soon, I hope :) :)
      December 28, 2017 8:13 PM MST

• Thanks I will look out for yours too :)
      December 29, 2017 6:16 AM MST

Mine, too.
    :)
      December 29, 2017 6:20 AM MST

Hi Welby~ I always look for yours!  Big hugs, winks and smiles :) :D ;)) !!
      December 29, 2017 8:31 AM MST

Thanks Merlin! I greatly appreciate your kind words here.
    :)
    I posted an answer with crows, too.
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 30, 2017 10:31 PM MST
      December 30, 2017 7:24 AM MST

I think it has to be the Lyre Bird or Mockingbird.  Those are the most amazing, mind-blowing of birds.

I remember the Baltimore Oriole was my first favorite because of the way they make those nests.

But my babies are my parakeets, all 7 of them.

They fly free in the house and remind me of how life should be.

Free and easy.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 29, 2017 6:22 AM MST
      December 28, 2017 12:21 PM MST

• Don’t get many bright coloured birds like that here. They look cool :)
      December 28, 2017 12:23 PM MST

I love your pics and this question.  I love all animals but birds are my heart.

December 28, 2017 12:28 PM MST

• Thanks for sharing your pictures, they’re good
      December 28, 2017 12:32 PM MST

• Turkey, quail, and [pheasants.  So delicious.
      December 28, 2017 12:28 PM MST

• I’m sick of turkey now. I’ve never tried quail or pheasant. I’d like to one day though
      December 28, 2017 12:34 PM MST

They are all delicious.  I love them all.  Bird is fantastic.

As a sacrifice to show my love for God, I gave up meat and any animal (besides fish...another story) so of course, I don't eat bird.

But I remember the taste, the aroma and I happily cook it for others.  I just don't need to partake any longer.

Free of that attachment.  I like power. 

December 28, 2017 12:38 PM MST

I find them very oily and rich.  Not to say that is bad.  It's just different than white turkey meat.  I happen to like dark turkey meat so it's all good with me.  I just wanted to give you a heads-up :)
      December 28, 2017 10:30 PM MST

• Yeah ive heard that goose is very fatty too
      December 29, 2017 6:11 AM MST

Those who go dark never go back.
      December 29, 2017 7:33 AM MST

I am very fond of blue tits, they are so cute :P  Robbins are probably the friendliest birds.. (European ones I mean) and I have always loved starlings, (they used to be so common, now relatively rare). I am inordinately fond of sparrows. again once so common, now much less so and who could fail to love Swifts and Swallows. 
      December 28, 2017 2:02 PM MST

I think that most of your starlings are now this side of the pond. They're quite an invasive nuisance here. 

Maybe we could arrange to send them back in exchange for some blue tits and your robins? I watched some of the live stream of your "Springwatch" and fell in love with those blue tits! Absolutely precious birds. 

December 29, 2017 8:13 AM MST