Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Travel » Is this all you need to know about Australia?

Is this all you need to know about Australia?

Posted - January 5, 2018

Responses

It has a good climate and nice areas and very close to New Zealand.

You cannot beat that.  And don't get me started on Tazmania.  So exotic.

January 5, 2018 6:03 PM MST

That and people who think they know about the US.
      January 5, 2018 6:10 PM MST

They know we were stupid enough to elect Trump.  There is nothing much else to know.

If you think you know everything about how the president feels about women, listen as former co-chief of staff and chief strategist Steve Bannon relays the president’s disgust for Yates. Trump, Wolff writes in Fire and Fury, was up against the Justice Department but thought he was “up against Sally Yates, who was, he steamed, such a c---t.”

For its crudity and window into Trump’s misogynistic mind, this is as revealing as the Access Hollywood tape. The “c” word, which still has the power to shock, was reportedly employed by the president to describe the former acting attorney general of the United States for taking actions in her official capacity he didn’t like.
    ADVERTISING
    inRead invented by Teads

How cheek, what nerve for Yates to follow the rule of law, as was routinely done in those long-ago days before a sitting president challenged the authority of the Justice Department and the FBI as if he were a Nigerian prince. Trump told Bannon, says Wolfe, that Yates had been “lying in wait” to unload on him when she testified before the Senate in May ever since he’d fired her at the end of January for her decision—the same one reached by most legal scholars and U.S. judges—that the law did not support the president’s travel ban blocking entry to the U.S. to people from seven majority-Muslim countries.

Still worse, from Trump’s view, was Yates telling the White House six days after the inauguration that—contrary to the story that then-National Security Adviser Michael Flynn was swearing to, and the White House (including Vice President Mike Pence) was spreading—the feds had incontrovertible proof that the general, who had lucrative business dealings with Russia, had in fact talked to Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak about easing up on sanctions. (Wolff notes that when Flynn’s business came up during the campaign, those concerns were shrugged off, because no one really expected Trump nor Flynn to make it to the White House.)

The day after Yates warned the West Wing about Flynn’s potentially treasonous actions, White House counsel Donald McGahn summoned her back, not to say thanks but to ask why this concerned her at all. “What does it matter to the Justice Department if one White House official lies to another?” he asked.

That line should figure prominently in any history of this period or at least on a needlepoint pillow as the operative ethic of the Trump administration. It wasn’t until word about Flynn leaked out to the press that Trump felt the heat to get rid of him. By that time, Yates, whose grandmother was one of the first women admitted to the Georgia Bar and whose father was an appellate court judge, was gone, sent packing by Trump a mere three weeks into her tenure as acting AG. Flynn stayed on for another 18 days, privy to the most sensitive intelligence the country has, including joining Trump for a phone call with Russia President Vladimir Putin. When Trump finally let Flynn, “a great guy,” go, he did so without any nasty name-calling. “I believe that it would be very unfair to hear from somebody who we don’t even know,” the president said, referring to Yates, “and immediately run out and fire a general.”

A lieutenant general, actually, but who’s counting stars. In firing Yates, Trump picked on the wrong woman. While those accusing Trump of sexual assault go largely ignored by Republican leaders, Yates got a full-fledged hearing before a Senate Judiciary Committee subcommittee to tell what happened. With courtroom skills honed over 27 years of service, during which she prosecuted a number of Democratic officials for corruption, Yates testified about Flynn’s conversations (they were on tape), his lies about them, and how those subjected him to blackmail. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 6, 2018 11:59 AM MST
      January 5, 2018 6:38 PM MST

I was asking about Australia. You can't leave Trump out of any discussion?
      January 5, 2018 7:03 PM MST

That's about it.  I just refuse to talk to the foreigners about America, politics in particular.  
      January 6, 2018 5:09 AM MST

Sharonna's not a foreigner. She just appears to have a thing for President Trump.
      January 6, 2018 7:23 AM MST

Sharonna's not a foreigner? L I B, didn't know she was from Texas. 
      January 6, 2018 7:47 AM MST

All of that and no Donald Trump?

Where do we sign up? :)
      January 5, 2018 6:21 PM MST

I also found out that the summers there are hot as ballz. In November for Christ's sake.
      January 5, 2018 6:51 PM MST

• I've looked at Street View of South Australia and there are some areas that are so similar to California that it would be indistinguishable (if not for the fact that all the oak trees are eucalyptus trees). I could see myself living there :)
      January 5, 2018 8:41 PM MST

I don’t think you can really “know” a country until you’ve been there, met it’s people, heard it’s sounds, sampled the food, breathed the air. 
    There are always facts or photos that anyone can dig up about a place, but what can that convey about what it’s really like “on the ground”?
    There’s getting a taste, and then there is attending the banquet. With a few exceptions, I much prefer the latter. This post was edited by Don Barzini at January 6, 2018 12:00 PM MST
      January 5, 2018 9:09 PM MST

It's not to be confused with Austria!  I just thought that was another good thing to know about Australia.

January 5, 2018 11:47 PM MST

Damn! And all these years I thought Vienna was a short drive from Sydney, lol.
      January 6, 2018 8:08 AM MST

No, Vienna is where they make those tiny sausages in a small can you get at the dollar store.
      January 6, 2018 12:02 PM MST

January 6, 2018 12:40 PM MST

LOeffingL.
      January 6, 2018 12:47 PM MST

His father was from Vienna.  His mother was from Frankfurt.

That makes him a cross between a Wiener and a Frankfurter!

January 6, 2018 3:46 PM MST

Yes!  They're just down the road from each other!

This post was edited by Livvie at January 6, 2018 3:48 PM MST
      January 6, 2018 3:29 PM MST

• They say, "God made Australia last, don't ya know, after he got tired of making everything else the same." ... Quigley Down Under
      January 6, 2018 5:18 AM MST

I'd like to know if their otters are as cute in person as they are on TV. 
      January 6, 2018 7:53 AM MST

yes
      January 6, 2018 4:25 PM MST