Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Is Oprah the liberal-values alternative to Trumpism?

Is Oprah the liberal-values alternative to Trumpism?

She may be a better, more humane alternative, but would she be the choice of a people determined to suppress the real conflicts at the heart of the country?

Posted - January 9, 2018

Responses

The GOP is already researching dirt on her as we speak, I am sure.

January 9, 2018 10:24 AM MST

Standard operating procedure I'm afraid.
      January 9, 2018 10:30 AM MST

I think Sally Jessy Raphael should run for president.
      January 9, 2018 11:14 AM MST

Yes! She's perfect! 

Or Jenny Jones... remember her? :)
      January 9, 2018 7:55 PM MST

Oh, yeah! Ha ha. 
      January 9, 2018 9:14 PM MST

maybe
      January 9, 2018 11:18 AM MST

Oprah For President?...I don't think so.
    WE don't need someone else that knows nothing about
    how to run a country. I love her, lots of Love in that heart of hers,
    and she does really great things. but not for Pres.
         Who was the Vice President for Obama?
    Maybe him? LOL...Can't remember his name...
    but him for Pres and Oprah for Vice??? 
      January 9, 2018 1:38 PM MST

Joe Biden. But he's 75.
      January 9, 2018 2:02 PM MST

Hmmm maybe.. hard to say.. if people are gullible to vote for someone as vile, so obviously deficient in terms of verbal or written communication, not to mention so appallingly lacking in style and class - well they might just as well vote for Oprah... IMO a better choice, she at least demonstrates savvy, intelligence and understanding of issues.  Let's face it... stranger things have been known... I cite Prez Ray-gun 
      January 9, 2018 2:17 PM MST

• Interesting - never thought of her as a potential politician - but she is extremely popular and a good networker.
    She would be highly articulate, very good at diplomacy and have a genuine empathy for a broad range of people's situations,
    but I suspect that she might prove naive in the tough, gladiatorial arena of politics.
      January 9, 2018 3:33 PM MST

To the point of your question:
    Yes, possibly. But why should she be the only such alternative? For all of the superlatives we can lavish on Oprah, I’d rather see an experienced administrator (or two) with similar positions and enthusiasm vie for the job. By necessity, it probably has to be a Democrat, as the GOP is less likely to blaspheme its own in hoping to gain the nomination. 

The interests of those who want to “suppress the conflicts at the heart of our country” have stoked the mass dysfunction that now prevails. They are a shrinking cult; humiliated, I hope.
    What of those who’d seek to honestly address these conflicts in their discourse? This, to me, is where Oprah’s persona sets apart, but politics is not a place for neophytes when so much is awry. This post was edited by Don Barzini at January 10, 2018 6:57 AM MST
      January 9, 2018 5:57 PM MST

I've honestly been wondering if this is what it's come to. The (alt)right embraced a B-list celebrity with zero political experience and won. Is this how it's going to be now? Why not just make it a reality TV competition, something like American Idol or The Voice. Each party starts off with 5 contestants and whoever's left at the end wins. 

If democrats fall in line with republicans, shouldn't they nominate Jerry Springer, rather than Oprah, though? I mean, it's not as if Donald Trump is A-list! 

Wait, that won't work. Jerry Springer actually has political experience. Maybe Maury Povich? 
      January 9, 2018 7:54 PM MST