Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Isn't it nice that a balance is coming to the mug and Trump supporters are not wanting to leave immediately?

Isn't it nice that a balance is coming to the mug and Trump supporters are not wanting to leave immediately?

It is really nice to have peaceful interactions with all of you, regardless of your beliefs. I admire people who stand for what they believe even if I do not agree. Thank you all for being so peaceful even when we disagree.

Posted - January 12, 2018

Responses

My experience with chat sites is there can be a lot of personal slinging which I don't get.  I usually won't debate politics because of it.  I consider myself a "moderate", and probably tend to lean more to the left.  Before I found this site, I came from a much larger site that was dominated by conservatives, including the moderators.  The name calling was appalling and I'm sorry, I still see the same rhetoric on Facebook where I am if not here. 

Caring about society and other people does not make me or others like me a "snowflake".  And that is just some of the nicest I have heard Democrats called.  It's sad when I see some of my conservative friends saying some pretty broad statements about who some of us are.  I don't do that with them.  

Are some liberals really vocal now?  Some are and I thing some are way over the top.  I stay away from that too.  Am I vocal about what I think of Donald Trump?  If asked, I have plenty to say.  But my feelings are no different than what a lot of conservatives felt about Obama and Clinton.
      January 12, 2018 12:35 PM MST

Liberals have been really vocal online since I first got on the internet. I don't like to affiliate myself with either major party, tho I am much farther to the right. I still share a lot of views of folks from the left. I despise huge corporations that purposefully choke out smaller businesses, or buy them out to expand their corporate empire. We no longer have a capitalistic society. I came from a family that had devout Republicans and Democrats as well, we did not judge one another on that because there was a lot we did have in common. I simply want to offer respect to all people. I can be a bit obnoxious, but that is my nature,
      January 12, 2018 12:46 PM MST

I worry most about social programs being attacked.  I watched my mother get by on so little on her social security.  If she didn't get what little help she got, she wouldn't have had anything.  She worked until she was 70.  I also worry about health insurance.  I am not saying the ACA was not without its' problems, but for the first time ever, my adult daughter had health insurance.  She works long hours as a waitress, so affordable healthcare to her was just a dream.  She just had her first child at age 33 and is scared she won't have insurance down the road.  I don't blame her for being scared.  
      January 12, 2018 1:03 PM MST

If she was 33 and working she could have more easily afforded health insurance before the ACA.  Her child will be able to be covered under your state's CHIP program.

I just read that only able-bodied people are subject to the work requirement.  People 50+ are not considered able-bodied.  I guess they are considered "older."  :)  My mother also get help with food and housing.  She worked her whole life but retired with just her social security and that  is just not very much to live on. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at January 13, 2018 11:38 AM MST
      January 13, 2018 4:29 AM MST

Nope.  You are wrong.  Why would I say something that wasn't true?  

She does have coverage now for her and the baby.  But that was because of the expansion of Medicaid in my state.  Trump wants to undo that.
      January 13, 2018 11:40 AM MST

BTW, I do think you personally speak of the issues from your perspective.  It's nice to see.  
      January 12, 2018 12:42 PM MST

There isn't any true balance on any website.  The best that I have seen is when there is a good mix (not only of left/right and Rs/Ds, but all of us that don't fit a neat little label) rather than an echo chamber.  An atmosphere that is conducive to discussion and debate, rather than automatic dismissals of and slurs thrown at those of differing views is nice, but politics tend to stoke the fires in people, and a bit of heat makes for more honest debate, and a greater exchange of ideas.  Finding a website with a good mix and where people have the freedom to express themselves honestly, without it becoming a complete conflagration is rare in my experience. 

As for this site, in particular, I like seeing more of a mix of views lately.    
      January 12, 2018 1:05 PM MST

i think so
      January 12, 2018 2:51 PM MST

I'm ok, you're ok, let's just not talk about that.
      January 12, 2018 3:12 PM MST

• I'm still waiting for him to reply to my tweets.  Seems he's a sender, not a receiver. :P
      January 12, 2018 6:46 PM MST