Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Have you ever fallen in love with an online friend on a social media site such as this one, based only on your verbal exchanges?

Have you ever fallen in love with an online friend on a social media site such as this one, based only on your verbal exchanges?

Does that person know how you feel? 

Posted - January 27, 2018

Responses

Not on social media no... but I have fallen in love with people online from dating sites without ever meeting them.. a little or alot in love... and sometimes when we met the reality didn't live up to expectations.. that happened at least a few times that I can remember.... I still think it was a shame.. there was one I never did meet...  but I really felt he was something special...  

Words can be very powerful
      January 27, 2018 1:41 PM MST

Does that mean that on dating sites you can chat for a while without meeting the person?  So what happened to the one you never did meet? How long were you chatting with him?
      January 27, 2018 3:12 PM MST

Yes, lots of people, do just chat and not meet.. that was never my style really but one cannot physically meet everyone.. so it's a case of you chat.. you meet or chat some more... if after that you both want to meet you do...  I was trying to figure out your angle on this one.. are you implying that sometimes women, (or men) are just there to chat and not meet? i have heard men say that about women online..  but the truth is that more than a few men just want to chat and not meet too.. there's (shock horror lol) a significant proportion of men on dating sites just looking for online entertainment if you know what I mean.. thrills and spills while the wife's in the next room. cheating but not cheating... 

As for me I met those I deemed worthy... and presumably they met me on the same basis... the one I really liked but didn't meet... well he was a little scared of me I think :P We nearly met.... but it didn't happen cos I was watching a film with my daughter when he said he was free.. after that if fizzled out a bit.. on his side not mine...
      January 27, 2018 3:30 PM MST

I will say too.. that I advise anyone, especially woman to talk to people online for as long as it takes for you to be very , very sure they are safe to meet. even then meet in a public place and tell someone where you are going.. Men per se are not bad or nasty.. but we have to accept that there are dangers for women out there and we do owe it to ourselves to protect ourselves
      January 27, 2018 3:32 PM MST

No, it's just I thought on dating sites people just gave details about themselves and then they met up. In fact I'd never really thought about it. I bit silly of me I suppose. Obviously you're going to try to get to know the person first.
      Too bad you didn't meet the guy you nearly met. Did you get very attached to him mentally?
      January 27, 2018 3:47 PM MST

I was completely besotted with him.. and he knew this.. lol I think that's what scared him :P Mainly cos he couldn't work out why :P I loved his sense of humour :) I am not in the least scary but I had around 4 or so who were too scared to meet me... I did meet a lot of people, many are still friends :)
    Dating sites are skewed.. too many men and too few women, or even the plainer among us are very much in demand, so aside from the safety element you really do, as a woman, have to filter them... so yea you talk online a while.. however long it takes, some take longer than others but you really do have to be smart and be careful who you meet.   The good thing can be that when you meet you feel like yu already have a bond :)
      January 27, 2018 3:58 PM MST

The three times I've chatted with girls for a long period of time, when they disappeared for a while, or completely, I suddenly realized that I had become very fond of them, and it hit me really hard. Was I in love with them? How can I say that when I had never met them? I think that you create a presents in your mind and it accompanies you even when you're not on the site. Then suddenly that person disappears, and you find yourself alone. I think it's better to meet real people that really like or love you for what you really are. They're not so likely to abandon you. I never met any of them.

I take it, it has happened to you. If so, what happened.....
      January 27, 2018 3:34 PM MST

No can't even imagine anything like that.  How can you even know someone at all at arms length?  Besides I'm a hands-on girl. 
      January 27, 2018 4:50 PM MST

One occasionally comes across someone online who does seem to stand out from the crowd, easy-going, thoroughly engaged, interesting, unaffected, a nice personality. Without being intrusive you never know that persons situation though. Then there is geography. I am also wondering how online friends ever do actually get together, and if they do, how true to life the necessarily limited online impression came to reality.     
      January 27, 2018 6:24 PM MST

Short answer...Yes.
      January 27, 2018 6:46 PM MST

Yes.
      January 27, 2018 8:43 PM MST

Wait, I thought we had a deal, didn't we agree not to tell anyone?  Shhhhh. 

~
      January 28, 2018 4:04 PM MST

No, because that isn’t love. Its a sad, desperate self-deception born from loneliness and low standards. 
      January 27, 2018 8:58 PM MST

How do you know that? Have you experienced it before and felt that way?
      January 29, 2018 7:55 AM MST

Because I’ve been married to the same amazing woman for three decades. We are one; two minds and two lives united in common experience and to common purpose, each taking care of the other, picking up where the other leaves off with Unquestioned affection and loyalty.

Try getting THAT online... This post was edited by Don Barzini at February 14, 2018 7:45 PM MST
      February 14, 2018 7:23 PM MST

No.  I did come to love someone I met online but no, I didn't fall in love with him until after we were actually together.  We spent several years together and the relationship is a very good memory for me.  People are brought into our lives, sometimes for a season.  Never regret letting yourself feel and love; it's not always forever. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at January 28, 2018 3:59 PM MST
      January 27, 2018 11:27 PM MST

So, if I understand rightly, after reading all the ladies comments on here, as a male, it would be better not to bother trying  to get into a close relationship with girl on social media sites?
      January 28, 2018 2:35 PM MST

IMO, where you meet doesn't matter. I doesn't work out most of the time, but it does some of the time, probably no different than in real life. As the old adage goes, "It's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all." 
      January 28, 2018 3:23 PM MST

I'm not sure that is true.
      January 29, 2018 7:57 AM MST

Which part? 
      January 29, 2018 5:03 PM MST

• I disagree, Winston. I've had a beautiful online relationship, strictly non-sexual, where he and I share many private and sometimes intimate aspects of our lives. 
      January 28, 2018 5:08 PM MST

I've met people from sites I've belonged to in the past.  Most were/are just very good friends, though there was a man I met on a political site that I dated and nearly moved to another state to be with.  We hit it off instantly in the open chat and were soon talking on the phone daily.  We met in person shortly after that.  Was it love, yes.  Did it develop before we'd actually met in person, yes.  
      January 28, 2018 3:03 PM MST

Are you still seeing one another?
      January 28, 2018 3:10 PM MST

No. 
      January 28, 2018 3:42 PM MST