Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » They always talk about going back to a simpler time. Do you really think life was simpler 200 years ago?

They always talk about going back to a simpler time. Do you really think life was simpler 200 years ago?

Can harder really be simpler?

Posted - January 29, 2018

Responses

• I think it's a natural process that life becomes more complex, from the first cellular organisms to mammals, from the first tribes to vast nations full of many social sub-groups, from the first cuneiform to the internet, from sharing how to make a flint spear, to banks of knowledge so vast that experts cannot know all that is known within their fields.
    But some things remain simple, like what we need for good health and good relationships.
      January 29, 2018 11:42 PM MST

The they I hear talk about a time when life was simpler are referring to 40-50 years ago, and I agree with them. 
      January 30, 2018 12:18 AM MST

Simpler for whom? Life is simple now for many.
      January 30, 2018 7:16 AM MST

Historians have described life before world war 1 as being idealistic and an innocent era. This time encompassed the 1890s up until 1914.
      January 30, 2018 11:43 PM MST

Lice in your hair. Fleas in your armpits. Childbirth mortality high, infant mortality gruesome. Poliomyelitis cripples in iron lungs. Your daily bread won only with backbreaking toil, die at 60.
    I'll take today, thanks.
      January 31, 2018 4:47 AM MST

Simpler for whom?

January 31, 2018 6:24 AM MST

Unfortunately, man has been inhumane to man since Adams fall. Colonial slavery is one of the worst atrocities committed. It is my understanding that some 'Christian preachers' tried to say the Bible condones that cruel type of slavery. 

(Exodus 21:16) “If anyone kidnaps a man and sells him or is caught holding him, he must be put to death.
    (Ecclesiastes 8:9) All of this I have seen, and I applied my heart to every work that has been done under the sun, during the time that man has dominated man to his harm.
    (Acts 10:34, 35) At this Peter began to speak, and he said: “Now I truly understand that God is not partial, 35 but in every nation the man who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.

(Psalm 72:7, 8) In his days the righteous will flourish, And peace will abound until the moon is no more.  8 He will have subjects from sea to sea And from the River to the ends of the earth.
    (Acts 24:15) And I have hope toward God, which hope these men also look forward to, that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.
    (Revelation 21:3, 4) With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. 4 And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”
    (Isaiah 65:21-23) They will build houses and live in them, And they will plant vineyards and eat their fruitage. 22 They will not build for someone else to inhabit, Nor will they plant for others to eat. For the days of my people will be like the days of a tree, And the work of their hands my chosen ones will enjoy to the full. 23 They will not toil for nothing, Nor will they bear children for distress, Because they are the offspring made up of those blessed by Jehovah, And their descendants with them.
    (Psalm 72:16) There will be an abundance of grain on the earth; On the top of the mountains it will overflow. His fruit will flourish as in Lebʹa·non, And in the cities people will blossom like the vegetation of the earth.

(Isaiah 11:1-5) A twig will grow out of the stump of Jesʹse, And a sprout from his roots will bear fruit.  2 And the spirit of Jehovah will settle upon him, The spirit of wisdom and of understanding, The spirit of counsel and of mightiness, The spirit of knowledge and of the fear of Jehovah.  3 And he will find delight in the fear of Jehovah. He will not judge by what appears to his eyes, Nor reprove simply according to what his ears hear.  4 He will judge the lowly with fairness, And with uprightness he will give reproof in behalf of the meek ones of the earth. He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth And put the wicked to death with the breath of his lips.  5 Righteousness will be the belt around his waist, And faithfulness the belt of his hips.
    (Psalm 37:10, 11) Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there. 11 But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.
    (Psalm 37:29) The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it.
      January 31, 2018 8:08 AM MST

(Adam's)
      January 31, 2018 8:18 AM MST

Hey, ya trying to replace Randy er something?
      January 31, 2018 8:23 AM MST

He is my grammar mentor. I especially like it when he screws up.
      January 31, 2018 10:32 AM MST

Next time he does, let me know, otherwise I might not recognize it. lol
      January 31, 2018 2:22 PM MST

Well it was simpler 40 years ago!  Not all this technology.  We were content with what we had until all this new stuff came down.  But the trick is to make your life simpler.  If that means it has to be harder then so be it. 
      January 31, 2018 8:31 AM MST

Simpler back then because people were more likely  happy to believe in the bible/scriptures now we have TV and the Internet to help make things all the more confusing. 
      January 31, 2018 10:04 AM MST

I wish to answer the second question. Harder is simpler.
      January 31, 2018 8:20 PM MST

i dont think life is ever simple no matter when it is
      February 14, 2018 5:24 PM MST