Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » What's worse? Screws left over after fixing your car or not having enough screws after fixing your car?

What's worse? Screws left over after fixing your car or not having enough screws after fixing your car?

Inspired by this question https://answermug.com/forums/topic/49921/how-many-screws-is-a-quot-safe-quot-number-to-have-left-over-a

Posted - February 3, 2018

Responses

The first one!
    ~
      February 3, 2018 1:29 PM MST

That depends upon where the lost screws ended up and where they are missing from. 
      February 3, 2018 1:33 PM MST

That's true.  I'm sure that missing screw will turn up somewhere!

February 3, 2018 3:43 PM MST

There are some parts of cars that don't require all the screws (or bolts) to do the job they were intended to do---similar to how commercial jets are capable of flying with only 1 or 2 engines rather than the all of the ones actually on the plane....

I'm going to go with "not having enough screws"---based on experiences rather than simple logic.
      February 3, 2018 1:37 PM MST

they both sound bad
      February 3, 2018 2:34 PM MST

Both conditions are reasons for having a collection of miscellaneous parts in your tool box.
      February 3, 2018 5:28 PM MST

A screw left over... You've forgotten to fit it where it should go.

A screw left over that appears not to match any others you had removed and refitted... the ill-begotten fruit of cluttering your toolbox with all manner of obscure fasteners, brackets, clips and general small rammel acquired over many years.

A screw missing... It is either simply on the ground below the car or in a harmless bodywork recess.... Or it has found somewhere inaccessible whence it can cause as much havoc as it likes.
      February 7, 2018 4:56 PM MST

• I think one is just as bad as the other.

Your question reminded me of me when I first started swapping engines in my cars many moons ago. The very first time I performed an engine swap, I ended up with around six or seven bolts left over. I scratched my head for a while, but was stumped as to where they went.
    So the next thing I did was take the car for a test drive - It performed like it should, with no rattles or funny noises, so I left it the way it was, and tossed the bolts.
      February 18, 2018 5:32 PM MST