Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Electronics » How many hopelessly broken cell phones (smart phones, mobile phones) have you had to replace in your lifetime? ~

How many hopelessly broken cell phones (smart phones, mobile phones) have you had to replace in your lifetime? ~

Posted - February 4, 2018

Responses

Every one of them, excepting the one I am currently using...that will change. 
      February 4, 2018 6:27 PM MST

• i have never broken a single cellphone screen in my entire life 

i never understood how people even manage to do that. just be more careful with your things 
      February 4, 2018 6:42 PM MST

"Broken" does not imply the screen alone...or at all. 
      February 4, 2018 7:10 PM MST

None really.  I had an I Phone for a specific purpose several years ago and when I no longer needed it I let it go.  And is still in working order far as I know - haven't used it since 2013.
      February 4, 2018 6:48 PM MST

I have never cracked a phone screen. This post was edited by my2cents at February 4, 2018 6:55 PM MST
      February 4, 2018 6:52 PM MST

The photo is only an example; there are other ways a phone could be considered broken. 
    ~
      February 4, 2018 7:12 PM MST

Sorry I must have been distracted with the Super Bowl. I have only broken 1 phone. I dropped it in the toilet.
      February 4, 2018 8:22 PM MST

Gracias. 
    ~
      February 4, 2018 9:00 PM MST

One. I am on my third flip-phone in 15 years.
      February 4, 2018 6:53 PM MST

None.  I have about a half-dozen that just went the way of the totally useless.

February 4, 2018 9:52 PM MST

None. I've cracked a few screens (including that of the tablet I'm usung right now), but none so badly that the device was unusable. I've replaced a few that simply stopped working - but not actually broken.
      February 4, 2018 11:17 PM MST

Zero.  I've had to replace them because of network upgrades but I've never broken one.  One of my daughters fell into the lake  with it in her pocket and we had to replace that one.
      February 5, 2018 4:48 AM MST

Only one, damaged by damp, not by impact. It was only about 12 years old, and apart from having had to replace its battery only a few months before it failed, it was perfectly serviceable until moisture penetrated and ruined its liquid-crystal display.
      February 7, 2018 4:22 PM MST

At least 6.....none were ever dropped and broken.......most all had inherent  manufactures faults.......
    All phone providers continue selling their stock of phones until all are gone..... They know know quite early that their phones are faulty ,yet still treat their loyal customers like shit....
    Once out of guarantee they couldnt care less about their customers.....
      February 7, 2018 5:03 PM MST

none , i take good care of them
      February 11, 2018 3:59 PM MST

Two now - for the same reason, damp (see my previous offering, 3 posts back).

Number One was a Nokia some-number at least 12 years old. I'd replaced its battery then a year or so later water ruined its liquid-crystal display, and the 'phone was irrepairable.

Number Two expired only a week ago, after a damp week camping. A DORO flip-top device only a few years old, the screen started playing very strange games. When not simply white and blank it was a mass of random colours. Or it would show the image, but mirror-imaged although the keys were still working properly: e.g. if it was meant show "OK" and "Back" in left and right bottom corners respectively, it now shows "Back" and "OK" and in mirror-writing - but you still press the original buttons.

I managed to make a call but the signal was obtainable in only one room, so I had to go to a mirror elsewhere to read the contacts list and key it, then run back to the first room to call!

Luckily I found I still had for some reason a Nokia slide-cased phone I'd stopped using, and even luckier, a SIM-card adaptor compatible with both phone & transferred card. So back in business...  

Not destroyed but being taken out of service, a 4G-rated, LG K8 the EE shop persuaded me to buy only last November; but on a 2-year contract costing some £11 a month - much more than my normal PAYG costs. I'd thought I was buying it on full PAYG although it was actually in a full portable, land-line and broadband deal. Then when BT replied with a new LL+BB tariff matching the much lower EE price I stayed loyal to BT and cancelled the EE broadband contract under the "cooling-off" rights. Ironically EE is owned by BT, but as a separate company!

So I paid off EE's phone-only contract and am now awaiting the unlocking. I was impressed: EE's call-centre is in Newcastle, not Nepal! It might take that DORO card (with suitable adaptor) but to be honest... why?  I don't need a bulky (160 X 75 X 8 mm), heavy, over-complicated, battery-draining thing whose only advantage is a virtual keyboard making text entries easier than by multiple button-pressing.

I might be able to sell it card-less and unlocked, only 10 months old, hardly used - but don't know how much to ask. The paperwork doesn't reveal its retail price; I'd guess around £70 - £80. Can anyone help me there?

{Edited for minor errors.} This post was edited by Durdle at August 31, 2018 2:57 PM MDT
      August 31, 2018 2:51 PM MDT