Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Have you ever had a close encounter with a bear?

Have you ever had a close encounter with a bear?

Posted - February 7, 2018

Responses

Close enough.  We used to camp often up in the Smokies and the bears would come into the campgrounds looking for food during the night.  We would be in a tent and could hear them rattling garbage cans and trying to get into cars.  That's plenty close enough for me.   People did get hurt by the bears by trying to interact with them or feed them.  You just don't.  We also stayed at a lodge at the top of LeConte where bears hung out outside of the dining hall.  There was a big window and I did enjoy watching them.

Also, about three years ago I saw a bear running down the street one block over from the house.  I was startled but learned that they do sometimes wander out of the wildlife refuge into town.  This post was edited by Thriftymaid at February 7, 2018 8:47 PM MST
      February 7, 2018 12:37 PM MST

They do seem intimidating.
    Thank you for your response.
      February 7, 2018 12:53 PM MST

Yep ... twice.

The first time, my dog was at the window barking so I looked out to see what he was so agitated by.
    I saw a "weird looking dog" across the street, at the back of the neighbor's yard.
    Only when it ran into the woods did I realize it was a bear cub.

The second time, I was walking my dog when he started barking at something ahead.
    I couldn't see anything, so we kept going.
    Suddenly, a bear poked it's head out of the tall grass about 30 feet ahead and looked at us.
    I stopped, then slowly backed up ... not making eye contact with the bear, but not turning from it either.
      February 7, 2018 12:42 PM MST

Wow, that was close.
    Maybe it's good to walk with a dog to keep us alert in case a bear is near.
    Thank you.
      February 7, 2018 12:55 PM MST

No. You don't get that many bears in deepest, darkest Surrey, England :P 
      February 7, 2018 3:18 PM MST

not yet
      February 7, 2018 3:55 PM MST

I once encountered a bull wandering along the other way on a narrow path along a steep hillside in Morar. Decided discretion was the better part of valour.  This post was edited by Malizz at February 7, 2018 9:39 PM MST
      February 7, 2018 5:20 PM MST

Yes...my favourite teddy Hugsy when I was little....  I still have him .......he's not for sharing either....:)
      February 7, 2018 5:55 PM MST

Yes, twice.  We have also camped in the Smoky Mountains among the bears.  One came around the corner of the road toward our campsite and started heading up drive.  I was sitting right there at the entry.  It looked so much like dog that without really thinking, I stood up and yelled to it to get out of here.  It ran a little way off so I made more noise and it left.  Later I wondered how safe that was and was really surprised how well it worked.  We told the ranger and he said next time they would have to remove that bear.
    During the same trip we were walking at night.  My wife went into the ladies bathroom and I headed around the corner of the building for the men's room.  There was a big bear just there as I rounded the corner.  He jump up and clung to the trunk of a big tree and looked embarrassedly and apologetically at me.  I turned around and ran into the ladies room.  That was all kind of funny if you ask me.
      February 7, 2018 8:56 PM MST

Great story with a happy ending.
    Good that the bear didn't eat you.

February 7, 2018 9:47 PM MST