Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Is a white lie technically a sin per se? Or does the motive behind it also matter?

Is a white lie technically a sin per se? Or does the motive behind it also matter?

Posted - February 15, 2018

Responses

If one tries to classify actions in order to "get around" it being labeled a sin, then they've already sinned.  Sin comes from the heart.
      February 15, 2018 9:59 PM MST

A lie is a lie. Assigning it a euphamism, euphemism, especially a cutesy one, may diminish the negativity of its image, but that's just justifying it, making excuses for it.
      As an aside, being a black person, I was taught from a very young age that this particular euphemism, a "white" lie, is more insidious than it may seem on its surface. It's as if calling it white and meaning its lessor severity makes it excusable, therefore a "good" lie, then its opposite must be coined a "black" lie, and therefore "bad."

black market
    black mark
    black eye (in the figurative sense)
    black sheep
    black hole

:[

This post was edited by Randy D at February 16, 2018 2:03 PM MST
      February 15, 2018 10:19 PM MST

It’s euphemism (the second one), Randy. 
      February 16, 2018 4:34 AM MST

Doh!  You're right, thanks!  It has been edited. 

~
      February 16, 2018 5:54 AM MST

• I think in your "aside" you're stretching the use of the word "black" a little too far. 
    Black is associated with darkness, where traditionally evil lurks (the forces of darkness). Hence black is used as a prefix to denote something bad, something to shun, stay away from, despised, even, perhaps, to be feared. The word "black" was in use in the above sense long before the slave trade and introduction of black people to work the fields and plantations and later as industrial labour.
    The euphemism you mention is a ploy by the black community as a reaction by way of awakening a justfied resentment over the ill treatment and suppression the black people have no doubt been forced to endure over the past few centuries. My father tells me that the boxing champion Muhammad Ali often used to make public statements about what he considered an unfair use of this word.
    No offence intended to anyone, Randy, I hope none taken. 
      February 16, 2018 2:24 PM MST

Thank you, Neelie. If you think I'm taking it too far, that's understandable for anyone who is not black to have a perspective that differs from someone who is.  It's almost as if I were to try to tell you what a woman thinks about being a woman, or how a person from  India should be perceived by others.  Having lived with the term as a constant element of my identity, I have the vantage point from the inside looking out, which can account for observances that others might not see. I heartily disagree with you, but that does in no way mean you're wrong in your opinion. 

I'm not offended at all by what you've written. You and I share mutual respect and have a sort of unspoken pact of honesty and straightforwardness with each other that lets us interact freely, even if and when we don't see eye-to-eye on a particular topic. There every possibility that I may be offending you with my rebuttal, but I assure you it is certainly not my intent. If I have done so, I apologize. 

(Of course, in reality, while "black" doesn't accurately or precisely describe the visual color of a person of my ethnicity, it is one of several long-held manners in which the reference is made. The term is not universally accepted by all people of my ethnicity, nor is it rejected by all of us.)

February 16, 2018 9:48 PM MST

• I'm sorry if I've misunderstood. 
      February 17, 2018 2:51 AM MST

I think it's more difference of opinion than complete misunderstanding. We just have different angles from which we see it. 
    ~
      February 17, 2018 6:16 AM MST

"Sin" is a religious term, so your question must specify what religion you want an answer from. And the answer is "You really should look it up yourself, rather than trusting random people to accurately quote it to you."
      February 16, 2018 2:40 AM MST

Santa Claus is a “white lie”, is he not?

So too, for lack of evidence, is Heaven/Elysium/Valhalla, etc., ...Falsehoods invented to ease the fear of death. 

Is it then a “sin” to advocate these things?

Personally, I don’t care. I don’t live such a trifling existence that such opinions matter. Some people think “honor“ killings are NOT sins. ”Sin“ is a religious term used to promote guilt and shame; think “original sin” -a despicable religious concept and —I hold— a damned (not white) lie. 

There are such things as forgivable untruths. Doesn’t make it right, just amenable to the situation. Sometimes even to serve a greater good. This post was edited by Don Barzini at February 16, 2018 10:39 AM MST
      February 16, 2018 4:41 AM MST

Santa Claus was used to model Christ for children, to illustrate the need for proper belief and the importance of belief.  A German name for Santa Claus was Christkindle (Christ child) which was later anglicized to "Kriskringle". And I think there may have been an earlier pre-Christian mythical figure adapted as well. This post was edited by officegirl at February 16, 2018 10:39 AM MST
      February 16, 2018 4:53 AM MST

It is/was, nonetheless, not true. But we agree a greater purpose was/is served.
      February 16, 2018 5:01 AM MST

I think I like your answer better than my own, Don. In retrospect after seeing the comparison, I was much too harsh in my assessment. I just may delete mine.
    ~
      February 16, 2018 5:52 AM MST

You need not delete it...we all ignored it anyway. LOLOLOL
      February 16, 2018 6:42 AM MST

• I agree with you,  Don, particularly the point you make about forgivable untruths. 
      February 16, 2018 2:34 PM MST

"So too, for lack of evidence, is Heaven/Elysium/Valhalla, etc., ...Falsehoods invented to ease the fear of death."

The evidence is carved into rocks all over the planet and repeated in verbal traditions in every tribe. If you actually study the available evidence you are forced to conclude that people all over the planet were looking at the same things, whatever they were. For instance, ancient Romans, Greek, and Egyptians worshiped planets; right there in the sky for all to see. Their writings suggest that the planets dominated the sky, not like we see them today.

You are the one inventing things.
      May 4, 2018 2:58 AM MDT

Poor Jewels.

Did I offend your provincial sensibilities?

“Carved into rocks”? Really? If that is your standard of veracity then every bit of Egyptian hieroglyphs carved into pyramids and whatnot must be infallible truth.  

Just because masses of early ignorant men believed it, and that their modern successors still do, doesn’t make it true, just expedient to their cause. 

Maybe you are just another stalwart who conveniently writes off what he doesn’t want to hear as “Fake News”. As in the case of a more famous personality with the same preference, it makes you no more effective nor credible. This post was edited by Don Barzini at May 4, 2018 8:09 AM MDT
      May 4, 2018 4:46 AM MDT

It is a sin. 
      February 16, 2018 4:47 AM MST

The phrase "white lie" speaks to the fact that is seems to be both bad (a lie) and good (white).

I agree with Don Barzini about the general triviality of the question---although we know that we disagree about how to classify certain "lies" as to being damned vs white vs truths.

And it keeps people like me who have obsessive tendencies busy when otherwise we would be bored.

Here's two definitions of "lie"

1)  to express what is false; convey a false impression. verb (used with object), 

2)  A lie is a statement used intentionally for the purpose of deception.

If I had to characterize whether a lie were "white," I think the questions of intent and for what purpose would be paramount in my consideration.

February 16, 2018 8:31 AM MST

• I fully agree that the intent of the so-called white lie is paramount. That's why I used the word "technically" in my question. 
      February 16, 2018 2:28 PM MST

What part of not bearing false witness do you not get?
      February 16, 2018 12:19 PM MST

First, the belief that a white lie is “helpful” is rooted in the idea that the end justifies the means. If the lie results in a perceived “good,” then the lie was justified. However, God’s condemnation of lying in Proverbs 6:16-19 and many other scriptures, contains no exception clauses. Also, who defines the “good” that results from the lie? A salesman telling white lies may sell his product—a “good” thing for him—but what about the customer who was taken advantage of?  Telling a white lie to be “tactful” or to spare someone’s feelings is a foolish thing to do. A person who consistently lies to make people feel good will eventually be seen for what he or she is: a liar. Those who engage in white lies will damage their credibility.

White lies have a way of propagating themselves. Telling more lies to cover up the original lie is standard procedure, and the lies get progressively less “white.” Trying to remember what lies were told to what person also complicates relationships and makes further lying even more likely. Little white lies are often told to preserve the peace, as if telling the truth would in some way destroy peace. Yet the Bible presents truth and peace as existing together.
      February 21, 2018 2:48 PM MST

Don't you think that the motive behind a thing is the only thing that does matter?

February 21, 2018 2:50 PM MST

A lie is a lie, no matter the size or color.
      May 3, 2018 11:17 PM MDT