Discussion » Questions » Finance » I do not think churches have the right to tax exemption. They save billions of dollars for what? Because they need money? Oh right.

I do not think churches have the right to tax exemption. They save billions of dollars for what? Because they need money? Oh right.

Posted - February 27, 2018

Responses

They need the money to pay for legal protection for the peadophile priests they employ......none ever face justice ......they much prefer to leave that to god 
      February 27, 2018 1:58 AM MST

Well, the constitution says you are wrong.

The power to tax is the power to control. Any country where the government controls religion is a mess from the start.
      February 27, 2018 3:48 AM MST

The inverse is also true. 
      February 27, 2018 4:41 AM MST

I say let churches keep their ill-gotten gains. They are tax-deductible charitable contributions, after all. 

But accordingly, since they don’t contribute taxes, churches shouldn’t receive the public benefits that tax revenues provide, i.e.: police and fire protection, municipal trash/recycling pick-up, snow removal, etc.
    Parishes should be left to fund such public services from their own (untaxed) resources. This post was edited by Don Barzini at February 27, 2018 1:39 PM MST
      February 27, 2018 4:40 AM MST

It is about keeping government out of religion. Gov uses tax laws for control people and business.

LBJ stopped some of that when he passed the law saying churches cannot be political. He did this because they opposed him. Churches are starting to fight back on this. As they should. 
      February 27, 2018 5:45 AM MST

The constitution says "institutions of religion". The Internal Revenue Code says "non-profit corporations". Both are sloppily called "churches". So you need to figure out what you are talking about, because the treatments are very different.
      February 27, 2018 10:13 AM MST

No, I know what I am talking about. Where did I mention the Constitution? The Constitution doesn't have the phrase "separation of church and state" in it. 
    Tax code is what matters in this topic. All churches which want their congregation to be able to deduct donations are required to be a nonprofit corporation specifically a 501c3. Not all nonprofit corporations are churches. This post was edited by my2cents at February 27, 2018 10:40 AM MST
      February 27, 2018 10:22 AM MST

I refer you to IRS Publication 1828.  It's easy to find online.

Comments on the publication may be submitted to the IRS at:
    Internal Revenue Service
    1111 Constitution Avenue, NW
    Washington, DC 20224 Attn: SE:T:C&L
      February 27, 2018 1:04 PM MST

i dont really know much about all that
      February 28, 2018 2:57 PM MST

GOOD GRIEF!

THIS HAS been one of the biggest pet peeves of my life!

why in the HELL should they have exemptions???????

the land they own for their damn churches? if they paid JUST PROPERTY TAXES ON ALL OF THAT, just think of how YOUR property taxes would go down!!!!!!!

far as I'm concerned, they have 'employees', right? their clergy people!! AND they take money in from their congregations; are you with me so far?

THEN......all the money taken in to pay 'employees' etc., is rather free and clear, as they pay NO TAXES at all.

so why? WHY? WHY? 

you take in money to pay people, same as a business.............

SO TAX THE DAMN CHURCHES!!!

August 30, 2018 8:27 AM MDT