Discussion » Questions » Education » is your gender based on your genitalia?

is your gender based on your genitalia?

if so, what gender are people who have both male and female genitalia? What about people born with none at all? 

Posted - March 25, 2018

Responses

Technically speaking I think those born with both outward genitalia are female. However, that's not really a sufficient answer...I think they are whatever gender they choose to be and that applies to anyone with or without genitalia of any kind
      March 25, 2018 2:38 PM MDT

It is great to have either type or both.  It makes it much easier to pee. Take birds, for example. As I understand it, everything comes outta the same channel. SPLAT!
      March 25, 2018 2:48 PM MDT

My feelings about the matter is mutual, if somebody feels that they need to be the opposite gender and it makes them happier in life and about themselves, by all means do it. 
      March 25, 2018 3:47 PM MDT

Mine is.
      March 25, 2018 4:25 PM MDT

It's an excellent indication ....
      March 25, 2018 5:11 PM MDT

Yes, by the brand you were born with. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at June 22, 2018 1:30 PM MDT
      March 25, 2018 10:31 PM MDT

Show me one and then we can talk about it.
      March 26, 2018 3:48 AM MDT

Yes. Those born with both are intersex. Those born with none are, "baby, you were born this way".
      March 26, 2018 6:24 PM MDT

• It is based according to my genitalia and preference to remain this way. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 27, 2018 3:30 PM MDT
      March 27, 2018 3:30 PM MDT

They are "hermaphrodites", but I don't think they have both male and female genitalia is a fully-formed way, and human hermaphroditism is not the functioning form that exists in many invertebrates.

June 21, 2018 7:02 PM MDT

I am pretty sure that none of you have ever seen one of these freaks that you pretend to know so much about. If you have then get us a link to the story, or a picture. If you check google, you only get uncertainties.

It is a disgrace to pretend to know something when you don't.
      June 22, 2018 2:20 AM MDT

I think that comment about Google applies to a lot of what it finds! At least Wikipedia does suggest where things may not be accurate, by "[citation needed]" and similar advice.

I don't think anyone's "pretending" anything, and it's a bit cruel to label people "freaks" for deformities or disabilities. Obviously I don't know how others here know what they do, but I first encountered this, with the term "hermaphrodite," in a medical or biology text-book. To the best of my knowledge such physical deformities are very rare, but in any case but we seem to hear far less about them than we do about those physically of one sex but mentally and emotionally the other. 

Actually I wonder if it's not a very good use of the term to apply it to human sexual deformity. Animals that are fully hermaphrodite can breed, having evolved to do so in that fashion. We haven't - like most animals we are of one sex or the other unless something goes wrong with our physical development and we end up with a deformed anatomy.

(Similarly with the label "asexual", pinched from biology text-books about organisms that breed non-sexually, to describe humans with fully-functioning bodies but no sexual urges.)
      June 22, 2018 4:54 AM MDT

Hmm actually being born with both genitalia IS a medical fact.. talking of google then a search there would reveal same.. including pics if you so wish.. failing that a review of medical text books will confirm.. I don't personally know of any without any genitalia but I wouldn't rule it out.. 
      June 22, 2018 3:24 PM MDT

Well, I have talked to doctors and they have assured me that there is no such thing in humans. Everybody is either an innie or an outie.
      June 22, 2018 5:06 PM MDT

No the cosmic energies of heaven and earth flowing through me make me a woman in many other ways as well.
      June 22, 2018 5:14 AM MDT