Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Will you be observing the Memorial of Christ death, celebrating Easter, something else, or nothing?

Will you be observing the Memorial of Christ death, celebrating Easter, something else, or nothing?

Observance of the Memorial, Nisan 14,  is this evening in my time zone.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2013926?q=%22Do+This+in+Remembrance+of+Me%22&p=par

Posted - March 31, 2018

Responses

At my church, we refer to it as Resurrection Day.  The term "Easter" has pagan origins.
    ~

March 31, 2018 3:42 PM MDT

Thank you for your answer Randy D. I don't disagree.

(1 Corinthians 11:23-26) For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night on which he was going to be betrayed took a loaf, 24 and after giving thanks, he broke it and said: “This means my body, which is in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” 25 He did the same with the cup also, after they had the evening meal, saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood. Keep doing this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For whenever you eat this loaf and drink this cup, you keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he comes.
      March 31, 2018 3:52 PM MDT

Nope.
      March 31, 2018 5:32 PM MDT

Thank you for your answer.
      April 1, 2018 5:25 AM MDT

I celebrate His death and sacrifice every week, not just one time a year.  
      March 31, 2018 5:45 PM MDT

Thank you for your answer Shuhak. Was the event that he replaced when he instituted the memorial every week or just one time a year?
      April 1, 2018 5:27 AM MDT

Is the "event" you're referring to Passover?  Passover was a yearly celebration for the Jews to remember their rescue from slavery in Egypt.  (a "law" given to the Jews ONLY).  However, when Christ came He fulfilled the law (made it null and void).  By His sacrifice on the cross, He became our (everyone - jews and gentiles) passover by rescuing us from our slavery to sin (a bit weightier matter than being a physical slave in a foreign country).  While it's true that we aren't told how often we should celebrate our "new Passover" in the New Testament (but we are commanded to "celebrate" it), some chose to celebrate it weekly.  I do not condemn or condone anyone on how they celebrate it.  Not my call.

"For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes."  

I choose to proclaim that sacrifice via a weekly observance (but live for it on a daily basis) so I will never forget what He had to go through (voluntarily) because of me (my sins).
      April 1, 2018 9:58 AM MDT

I don't think it is a coincidence but not condemning either. 
      April 1, 2018 11:19 AM MDT

What isn't a coincidence?  
      April 2, 2018 9:29 AM MDT

That Jesus instituted the Memorial at the time of the Passover, Nisan 14.
      April 2, 2018 3:22 PM MDT

"He had to go through (voluntarily)" seems a contradiction. Either way, why exactly was it necessary?
      May 12, 2018 1:36 PM MDT

I will be celebrating Jesus' Resurrection from the dead.
      March 31, 2018 6:13 PM MDT

Seems most do. How?
      April 1, 2018 6:02 AM MDT

We will say a prayer. Have a Bible study and have a nice dinner with the family. 
    Yes we do the eggs coloring, candy and a toy for the kids. We do not do the Easter bunny.
      April 1, 2018 6:32 AM MDT

Is that from the Bible or from man? You do know that the eggs are just as much symbols of fertility in phallic worship as bunnies, right?
      April 1, 2018 7:22 AM MDT

Yes, I know the eggs and bunnies are pagan orgin. 
    As I said we don't do the bunny. 
    And I don't see harm in the eggs as long as we are not doing it as a religious reason...they are just fun.  And gives me a reason to make doubled eggs and potato salad.
      April 1, 2018 7:28 AM MDT

Sure, looks innocent enough on the surface. Just thinking of worshiping with spirit and truth and avoiding unscriptural traditions.
    (John 4:23, 24) Nevertheless, the hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshippers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for indeed, the Father is looking for ones like these to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit, and those worshipping him must worship with spirit and truth.”

Is there any objection to sharing in celebrations that may have unchristian roots as long as it is not done for religious reasons?
    Eph. 5:10, 11: “Keep on making sure of what is acceptable to the Lord; and quit sharing with them in the unfruitful works that belong to the darkness, but, rather, even be reproving them.”
    2 Cor. 6:14-18: “What fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Beʹlial? Or what portion does a faithful person have with an unbeliever? And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols? . . . ‘“Therefore get out from among them, and separate yourselves,” says Jehovah, “and quit touching the unclean thing”’; ‘“and I will take you in, . . . and you will be sons and daughters to me,” says Jehovah the Almighty.’” (Genuine love for Jehovah and a strong desire to be pleasing to him will help a person to break free from unchristian practices that may have had emotional appeal. A person who really knows and loves Jehovah does not feel that by shunning practices that honor false gods or that promote falsehood he is in any way deprived of happiness. Genuine love causes him to rejoice, not over unrighteousness, but with the truth. See 1 Corinthians 13:6.)
    Compare Exodus 32:4-10. Notice that the Israelites adopted an Egyptian religious practice but gave it a new name, “a festival to Jehovah.” But Jehovah severely punished them for this. Today we see only 20th-century practices associated with holidays. Some may appear harmless. But Jehovah observed firsthand the pagan religious practices from which these originated. Should not his view be what matters to us?
    Illustration: Suppose a crowd come to a gentleman’s home saying they are there to celebrate his birthday. He does not favor the celebration of birthdays. He does not like to see people overeat or get drunk or engage in loose conduct. But some of them do all those things, and they bring presents for everyone there except him! On top of all that, they pick the birthday of one of the man’s enemies as the date for the celebration. How would the man feel? Would you want to be a party to it? This is exactly what is being done by Christmas celebrations.
    What is the origin of Easter and the customs associated with it?
    The Encyclopædia Britannica comments: “There is no indication of the observance of the Easter festival in the New Testament, or in the writings of the apostolic Fathers. The sanctity of special times was an idea absent from the minds of the first Christians.”—(1910), Vol. VIII, p. 828.
    The Catholic Encyclopedia tells us: “A great many pagan customs, celebrating the return of spring, gravitated to Easter. The egg is the emblem of the germinating life of early spring. . . . The rabbit is a pagan symbol and has always been an emblem of fertility.”—(1913), Vol. V, p. 227.
    In the book The Two Babylons, by Alexander Hislop, we read: “What means the term Easter itself? It is not a Christian name. It bears its Chaldean origin on its very forehead. Easter is nothing else than Astarte, one of the titles of Beltis, the queen of heaven, whose name, . . . as found by Layard on the Assyrian monuments, is Ishtar. . . . Such is the history of Easter. The popular observances that still attend the period of its celebration amply confirm the testimony of history as to its Babylonian character. The hot cross buns of Good Friday, and the dyed eggs of Pasch or Easter Sunday, figured in the Chaldean rites just as they do now.”—(New York, 1943), pp. 103, 107, 108; compare Jeremiah 7:18.
    Are New Year’s celebrations objectionable for Christians?

(Ephesians 5:10, 11) Keep on making sure of what is acceptable to the Lord; 11 and stop sharing in the unfruitful works that belong to the darkness; rather, expose them for what they are.
    (2 Corinthians 6:14-18) Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? 15 Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Beʹli·al? Or what does a believer share in common with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols? For we are a temple of a living God; just as God said: “I will reside among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.” 17 “‘Therefore, get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’”; “‘and I will take you in.’” 18 “‘And I will become a father to you, and you will become sons and daughters to me,’ says Jehovah, the Almighty.”
    (1 Corinthians 13:6) It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth.
    (Exodus 32:4-10) Then he took the gold from them, and he formed it with an engraving tool and made it into a statue of a calf. They began to say: “This is your God, O Israel, who led you up out of the land of Egypt.” 5 When Aaron saw this, he built an altar before it. Then Aaron called out: “There is a festival to Jehovah tomorrow.” 6 So they got up early on the next day and began offering up burnt offerings and presenting communion sacrifices. After that the people sat down to eat and drink. Then they got up to have a good time. 7 Jehovah now said to Moses: “Go, descend, because your people, whom you led up out of the land of Egypt, have corrupted themselves. 8 They have quickly deviated from the way I commanded them to go. They have made for themselves a statue of a calf, and they keep bowing down to it and sacrificing to it and saying, ‘This is your God, O Israel, who led you up out of the land of Egypt.’” 9 Jehovah went on to say to Moses: “I have seen that this is an obstinate people. 10 So now let me be, and I will exterminate them in my burning anger, and let me make a great nation from you instead.”
    (Jeremiah 7:18) The sons are gathering wood, the fathers are lighting the fire, and the wives are kneading dough in order to make sacrificial cakes to the Queen of Heaven, and they are pouring out drink offerings to other gods to offend me.
      April 1, 2018 8:13 AM MDT

I celebrate nothing other than my wife living another day
      March 31, 2018 7:57 PM MDT

Thank you for your answer Element 99. I hope ya'll find the key to everlasting life.

(Psalm 37:29) The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it.
    (John 14:6) Jesus said to him: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
      April 1, 2018 5:30 AM MDT

I guess I am doomed...I am Jewish.
      April 1, 2018 6:25 AM MDT

Nope, not doomed at all. 
    It was Jewish scriptures that pointed to the timing of the Messiah as well as his death causing offering and sacrifice to cease. Most early Christians were Jewish.

(Daniel 9:24-27) “There are 70 weeks that have been determined for your people and your holy city, in order to terminate the transgression, to finish off sin, to make atonement for error, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up the vision and the prophecy, and to anoint the Holy of Holies. 25 You should know and understand that from the issuing of the word to restore and to rebuild Jerusalem until Mes·siʹah the Leader, there will be 7 weeks, also 62 weeks. She will be restored and rebuilt, with a public square and moat, but in times of distress. 26 “And after the 62 weeks, Mes·siʹah will be cut off, with nothing for himself. “And the people of a leader who is coming will destroy the city and the holy place. And its end will be by the flood. And until the end there will be war; what is decided upon is desolations. 27 “And he will keep the covenant in force for the many for one week; and at the half of the week, he will cause sacrifice and gift offering to cease. “And on the wing of disgusting things there will be the one causing desolation; and until an extermination, what was decided on will be poured out also on the one lying desolate.”

https://answermug.com/forums/topic/18482/are-you-familiar-with-the-prophecy-about-the-timing-of-the-messi
      April 1, 2018 7:25 AM MDT

"At this Peter began to speak, and he said: "now i truly understand that God is not partial  but in every nation the man who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him." (Acts 10:34,35)
      November 13, 2018 11:03 PM MST

I will gladly celebrate that to.....:) 
      May 12, 2018 1:57 PM MDT

You are kind. Thank you.
      May 12, 2018 2:13 PM MDT