Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Tell me, how do you stop World War III by hoarding assault rifles in your house? Disarming was Hitler's answer 60 years ago. HELLO?????

Tell me, how do you stop World War III by hoarding assault rifles in your house? Disarming was Hitler's answer 60 years ago. HELLO?????

Posted - April 1, 2018

Responses

Simple math:
    2018 - 60 = 1958

Simple history lesson:
    In 1938 Hitler passed the German Weapons Act, which only applied to the new qualified "citizen".  Under this law, which applied to all guns and ammunition, it was specifically prohibited for Jews to hold, manufacture, or deal in firearms or ammunition, while making it easier for those in the Nazi regime to acquire and transfer rifles, shotguns, and ammunition. This law exempted holders of annual hunting permits, government workers, Nazi regime members, officials of the central government, states, and employees of the German railway from gun ownership restrictions. The legal age for purchasing firearms was lowered from 20 to 18 years of age, and permits were made valid for three years instead of one. This act did not change the 1928 requirement for all gun manufacturers and dealers to maintain records with information about who purchased guns and the firearms’ serial numbers, which were to be delivered to a police authority yearly. On November 11, 1938, the Minister of the Interior (Wilhelm Frick) promulgated the Regulations Against Jews’ Possession of Weapons which effectively deprived all Jews living in those locations of the right to own a firearm or any other weapon. Historian William Sheridan Allen noted that the Nazis also went house to house confiscating firearms, targeting "subversives".
      So, knowing all of this, did Hitler truly "ban" guns? No, he did not. Some might even say that he made the gun control laws more lenient; for his allies. However, he did ban Jews from owning guns, or even holding them! After all, if you disarm your enemy and at the same time you arm your allies, who can rebel? Fortunately, others stood up to him; but who wants to take the chance, and hope someone else will defend them?

Simple rebuttal:
    By 1958 (or, sixty years ago), Adolf Hitler was no longer legislating anything, because conventional belief is that he died by his own hand thirteen years previously, 1945. It was in the late 1930s that he solidified his stance on restricting firearms for certain German inhabitants, about twenty years prior to 1958. 

Simple moral of the story:
    If you're going to rant, be accurate. Off-the-wall claims diminish your credibility and you lose your potential audience for future rants. 

Signed,
    Randy D. Fact-Checker

~

April 1, 2018 10:29 AM MDT

Someone did some research.
      April 1, 2018 7:33 PM MDT

Lol. As soon as I read "60 years", I thought, wait a minute!  From there, that's when the watershed opened up, and I pulled a Sharonna on Sharonna. 

April 1, 2018 7:44 PM MDT

Not only grammer, but math. Your awesome! 
      April 2, 2018 4:56 AM MDT

(You're)

Thank you. 
    ~
      April 2, 2018 5:45 AM MDT

Erg! Lol
    You're welcome.
      April 2, 2018 5:51 AM MDT

GRAMMAR.
      April 6, 2018 11:47 AM MDT

Lol. Thanks
      April 6, 2018 3:15 PM MDT

April 1, 2018 6:18 PM MDT

Armed lunatic

Kids whose parents went along with the second amendment 
      April 2, 2018 1:21 AM MDT

I offer six million examples, you offer seventeen. Your argument is invalid.
      April 2, 2018 2:01 PM MDT

Just how do you know if all their parents supported or opposed the 2nd amendment rights?
      April 3, 2018 5:12 AM MDT