Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » London is passing "Knife Control". Crazy?

London is passing "Knife Control". Crazy?

2nd Amendment people used to joke that if they get the guns next they will come for your knives. 

No deliveries of knives, gonna do stop and frisk for knives. Sound familiar?

https://www.dailywire.com/news/29179/londons-mayor-declares-intense-new-knife-control-emily-zanotti

Posted - April 12, 2018

Responses

You have got to be kidding me. Another glaring example of just how out of control the liberal left is. What are they gonna try to control next, rocks, clubs, clothespins, pizza cutters, baseball bats, cake decorators? Oh, and lets control paper. That nasty inanimate object that causes those dreaded paper cuts.  Why don't they give a shot at going after the real problems of society, the mentally incompetent deviants hell bent on murder and mayhem. Or those with the power and know how, that have the ability to exact changes that would have prevented these crimes to begin with but don't.. But I guess that's too much to ask and too much work and too logical of a thing for them to comprehend. All their sense of responsibility and common sense have have left the building. I do want to apologize for my rant. I usually don't do that but when enough has become enough, I gotta say something. :)
      April 12, 2018 9:04 AM MDT

This has less than nothing with liberals, or liberal conspiracies and fantasies.. This IS London remember.. it's not America. It wouldn't be *normal* to carry around baseball bats in the street now would it.. there are no similarities. 

Knives and guns are entirely different..  but this is a specific debate on a specific subject.. London and the alarming increase in recent months of knife crime/deaths. There is actually NO evidence that it's mentally unwell people doing this.. more likely it's linked to racial tensions, gangs and drugs as well as a disenfranchised youth and a huge dollop of poverty and deprivation. 

SO, while this is NOT America and the problems of this specific City are not the same as you mention, I think reasonably we would have to accept that a raft of measures are needed to deal with this as it really isn't just mentally unwell people at the centre of this.. it's young people.. 

You, as we all are, entitled to your rant.. but do remember this isn't your problem here so you really don't have to get upset about it nor worry. 
      April 12, 2018 12:59 PM MDT

The liberal left is found in other countries besides the United States and the way it looks, they have the same agenda. Which is why I answered the way I did. :)
      April 12, 2018 5:15 PM MDT

I'll NEVER give up My Swiss Army knife.
    What's next?
      April 12, 2018 11:48 AM MDT

I know twas a joke.. but it's knives over a certain size they would be banning... I have a feeling its already illegal.. just a matter of reinforcing the ban more.

April 12, 2018 12:53 PM MDT

They are gonna stop and frisk for knives...so hope you don't  look suspicious...lol
      April 12, 2018 6:35 PM MDT

DO please remember this is a very different country.. we don't have guns here.. we DO seem to have a knife attack problem at the moment, particularly in London. Please don't try to turn this into something it wasn't and never was.. this isn't about guns.. it never was.. we as I say DON'T have them.. we also don't have the 2nd third or even fourth amendment. we care MORE about lives. they matter, some, (what seems to us) silly thinking about guns and rights really arent in the mix here.. they aren't.  

DO also please rememeber.... that while a knife *can* kill someone, or even several someone's.. it's way, way, way less likely to kill multiple people, especially in a short space of time - simply because if someone comes at you with a knife you DO have a chance to stop them.. even if you don't have a knife AND they have to get very close first in order to stab you... if they fire at you from a distance, you really can't do much about it.. 

Guns and knives are very different things.. .

Now this next bit is more contraversial and really just opinion.... we do have a lot of racial tensions in London, there are factions that really just don't like each other.. and add to that gangs. drugs etc.. those things cause crime... 

So you bet I vote we ban knives.. go for it London... do it NOW, don't wait, don't pussyfoot about.. do it.. and enforce it.. way too many have died already.. .

On that point.. however many we lose to knife crime is too many... it is also way, way, way less than America loses every month to gun crime. 
      April 12, 2018 12:51 PM MDT

I agree. Yes, it was a joke.
      April 12, 2018 12:57 PM MDT

In America so far this year ... there have been 2 knife attacks at schools where over 20 people injured.
    That is in addition to the ones where fewer people are injured.
    Yet the news media doesn't cover it.

As to the 2nd Amendment ... I believe England doesn't have something like it, is because at one time it was actually required for the people to furnish their own weapons (based on social class, of course).  So it would be kinda silly to say the people MUST furnish their own weapons, AND they have a right to bear arms.  ;)  
      April 12, 2018 1:34 PM MDT

To be fair I don't think most of us here realised how many deaths there had been in recent months due to knife attacks.. it is important not to sweep that under the carpet - I think they are thinking some are connected, or at least there is a pattern, such as drugs and gangs. 
      April 12, 2018 1:39 PM MDT

I read somewhere that the main reason people join gangs, is the "sense of belonging".
    Which IMO raises the question ... why don't they feel they belong to their family and community?  And how can we change that?

I also wonder if the increased social isolation due to technology is a big reason for the increase in people willing to kill others?
      April 12, 2018 1:43 PM MDT

Very good points... but sadly a much, much wider problem than we, or anyone else can easily solve. There are other factors too, such as poverty and deprivation - these knife crimes do tend to be associated with areas where there is more poverty = deprived areas.. and that feeds into the whole thing, education, how successful, or otherwise is it in overcoming social deprivation. I don't think we can assume people don't feel they belong to family - I am sure they do, but that there are a lot of pressures on family and on these young people that mean they end up feeling they have no alternative but to belong to gangs. 

I don't think isolation due to misuse/over-involvement with techology is a good thing.. I agree with you on that.. but generally speaking these tend to be poorer people, those who don't have good education, don't have all the latest tech.. but I do think on a wider level the use of tech can lead to people being less empathic and able to consider others feelings
      April 12, 2018 1:54 PM MDT

I was thinking of the isolation factor, as it relates to mass shootings here.
    The shooters always come from a middle-class background.

Of course, the rate of violence (including gun-related) is higher in low income areas.
    But it doesn't get as much media attention, because that is "normal".  And the news doesn't report on "normal".
      April 12, 2018 3:04 PM MDT

I see your thinking.. but the joining gangs and stuff tends to be opposite of isolation, the knifings are I think more associated with gangs and drugs not necessarily mentally unwell people..  In the cases of the knife crime these are usually people from deprived areas of london, where there is a lot of crime, poverty and tension... some racially motivated. 
      April 12, 2018 3:16 PM MDT

OOh another reply since this is about my country albeit not my city, (personally I don't like London, it's not the London it was and imo it can be a dangerous place now what with the mix of problems ) 

But yea.. ban knives.. frisk people.. that IS actually how it works... always has, this isn't anything new.. I am pretty sure it's always been illegal to carry a knife over a certain size.. There IS however a very big difference between having a knife at home, delivering a knife to a shop and carrying a knife because you intend to harm someone or to protect yourself from others carrying knives..  

This isn't anything new, although the number of deaths is new, it's a phenomenon, and enforcing bans IS the way to go, it's worked before.. .and has again.. 

In other news...  interesting I should find this here today... my son was attacked last night, fortunately I live in a sleepy town, but the man threatened to stab my son.. fortunately he didn't... but I can tell you right here and right now.. I would MUCH rather my son face a knife than an idiot wielding a gun.. my son WOULD have been dead without question if a guy pulled a gun on him.. if the guy pulled a knife then my son at least had some chance of fighting it off.. As it was my son was only hit in the face... but ya forgive me here for wanting to make sure MY son is safe.. reinforce the ban... now..  I personally don't give a fig about people's so called rights, (*and we don't have that silly law here) I care way more about my son's life
      April 12, 2018 1:07 PM MDT

PS  sloppy reporting.. a number of inaccuracies.. knives never were weapons of war in this context.. and the knives they are wanting to prevent deliveries of are specific ones, not ordinary culinary ones 
      April 12, 2018 1:11 PM MDT

I know there was mention of the "zombie knives" but when I was looking I saw an article that says those have been illegal since 2016.  So what exactly are they banning? This post was edited by my2cents at April 12, 2018 7:45 PM MDT
      April 12, 2018 7:06 PM MDT

Sorry about your son....glad he is safe. 

Do you not see how " There IS however a very big difference between having a knife at home, delivering a knife to a shop and carrying a knife because you intend to harm someone or to protect yourself from others carrying knives.. " is not exactly the same arguements used  in the gun control debate in the USA? We have said for years that if they got rid of guns criminals would use another weapon such as a knife and then they would want to ban those too.
    Would you  not want your son to have been able to defend himself with a knife or other weapon? 
      April 12, 2018 6:51 PM MDT

I believe to carry any knife in England other than a small bladed penknife is illegal.....I'm sure it been like that for since before I was born ....

Im pretty sure if you were young and carring anything that could be used as a weapon and  the police saw you walking the streets late at night ,they would automatically stop and question you....

The latest craze is robbing people using acid.....
    Why do you need new laws, does never common sense prevail.... ? 

April 12, 2018 1:12 PM MDT

Yep, 100% agree.. it has always been illegal, well certainly a long, long time, I am ancient so I remember stuff like knife amnesty, where people could hand in knives that became illegal in.  I see NO reason for carrying a knife over a certain size, especially a concealed weapon. And you bet I'd be happy to be stopped and searched if anyone suspected, or even just wanted to check whether i have a knife. Law-abiding citizens have no need to fear, (if you carry a knife for your profession you can have an exemption certificate) only baddies need worry and personally, I care much less about them than I do about those who are law-abiding and who have a right to feel safe. This post was edited by Adaydreambeliever at April 12, 2018 4:31 PM MDT
      April 12, 2018 1:37 PM MDT

It's time punishments were made to fit the crime I think.....it feels to me that the police and local government ,Government just want money....Get a parking fine and you'll be hounded until you die.....
    The English police had a cash reserve of five and a half billion pounds two years ago..god knows what it amassed to now....

Go 1 mph over the new 20mph speed limit in London and you get points and huge fine....drive like a deranged halfwit and nothing ever happens to you.....All cameras are used as instant cash machines only....:( 
      April 12, 2018 4:42 PM MDT

Definately agree...they are way to soft on crimes that need cracked down on and too hard on stupid stuff. This post was edited by my2cents at April 12, 2018 7:42 PM MDT
      April 12, 2018 7:08 PM MDT

If they are already illegal  then what are they passing?
      April 12, 2018 7:03 PM MDT

Well said.

Knife amnesties are still held around the country from time to time. I think Dorset Police ran one recently, though I didn't see any reports on the outcome.
      April 20, 2018 8:57 PM MDT