Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Does protesting actually work anymore?

Does protesting actually work anymore?

Posted - April 17, 2018

Responses

Decision makers are quick to find ways to be immune to demonstrations. At the grass-rots level it works spreading awareness of the problem, and when that snowball, then even the decision makers have to listen (but it rarely does).
      April 18, 2018 2:04 AM MDT

*GRASSROOTS
      April 19, 2018 11:38 AM MDT

Oops, not a dig at eco-activists, just spelling error
      April 19, 2018 1:57 PM MDT

Heart felt matters perhaps.  All of the protesting we have seen this year have been orchestrated with paid protesters bussed in.  As sad as the Parkland shooting was, the Soros people were on the ground the day it happened talking to parents and kids paying for some good gun control crap.  Shame on parents who let their children be used that way. Some students reported that CNN told them how to answer their questions.    Did you notice the big student march in D.C. was only 10% kids?  In this country things are never what they seem.  It's all acted drama, day after day.................all in the name of an agenda and with Americans having contempt for each other.  I never thought I would see such a thing in this country. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at April 18, 2018 7:15 PM MDT
      April 18, 2018 2:13 AM MDT

You know, that is one thing that is hard to find out all the way from where I am. The media rarely mention how the protesters get there. I have hear of a lot of tea party rallies, but never heard a word about how their 'getting there' is organized. Would you check it out please? You seem to know just how find out
      April 19, 2018 2:10 PM MDT

This falls under the topics I don't discuss with foreigners.
      April 19, 2018 5:56 PM MDT

April 20, 2018 12:59 AM MDT

You protest by what you do with your life, how you spend your time, what you spend your money on, who you work for or keep company with.  So it is most effective as an individual thing. 
      April 18, 2018 6:01 AM MDT

Well, if the protests have real substance that address real issues and not leftist media-fabricated issues, and are carried out in a "peaceful" manner, then yes, they can and do work. It's a First Amendment right. However, the First Amendment does not provide the right to conduct an assembly at which there is a clear and present danger of riot, disorder, or interference with traffic on public streets, or other immediate threat to public safety or order.  Statutes that prohibit people from assembling and using force or violence to accomplish unlawful purposes are permissible under the First Amendment. :) 
      April 18, 2018 6:20 AM MDT

And 'someone' have to determine what that is It is hardly as simple as any dogmatic stand about which protesting people are 'good', and which protesting people are 'bad'.
      April 20, 2018 1:04 AM MDT

Not at my wife.
      April 18, 2018 9:00 AM MDT

U just have to perform when she says so ? (headaches should be a "human right" )

Oops, they are, aren't they ? This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at April 18, 2018 3:54 PM MDT
      April 18, 2018 9:25 AM MDT

Scientific research ... and personal experience ... has shown one of the best cures for headaches is s*x.
      April 18, 2018 9:43 AM MDT

If you are referring to sex...she isn't interested anymore. This post was edited by Element 99 at April 18, 2018 10:22 AM MDT
      April 18, 2018 10:21 AM MDT

Yea here it does.. .I think because the government is charged with listening to the people.. so if enough complain and campaign against something then they change their minds .. this HAS happened on a number of occasions... 
      April 18, 2018 3:56 PM MDT

• Depends on what you determine the function of protest to be. It also depends on the outcome that the protesters themselves desire.

If protesting is for venting frustration, then it has always worked as I'd suppose most people involved in a protest vent their frustration. If it's for raising awareness, the news attention that many protests get seems to fulfill that function. If it's for meaningful social change, that's less apparent, but even then a protest is often a spark that ignites a movement that later leads to meaningful social change. It's not necessarily going to be the case that the change is effected immediately following or even during the protest.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 23, 2018 5:04 PM MDT
      April 19, 2018 6:18 PM MDT

We can only protest peacefully if we disagree with something or face getting arrested, I the government quake in their boots at people holding placards....and we call this freedom?

April 23, 2018 4:51 PM MDT