Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » I'm extremely fond of the channel TCM (Turner Classic Movies), but I have one glaring complaint:

I'm extremely fond of the channel TCM (Turner Classic Movies), but I have one glaring complaint:

Why do the hosts give such a detailed synopsis of the next movie they're introducing?  A little backstory, some interesting facts about the performers, or the production, or the studios, or the public's reaction, fine.  I wouldn't mind a word or two about the movie, a thumbnail view, it's just that they practically tell me everything I'm about to see onscreen, which to me defeats the purpose of watching the movie!  If I wanted someone to tell me what's about to happen before it happens, I wouldn't be watching it.  
  I always hit the mute button when they start their spiels, and once the opening credits roll, I turn the volume  back up. 
~

Posted - April 24, 2018

Responses

April 24, 2018 8:41 PM MDT

• 1.  They're just doing their job.
    2.  They want you to realize why the movie is considered a "Classic."
    3.  They do it so that you'll have time to prepare snacks for the movie.
    4.  Figuring that the viewers will be the older section of the viewing audience, they do it in case you fall asleep before it's over.
      April 24, 2018 8:47 PM MDT

Four swings and four misses. 
    ~
      April 25, 2018 4:36 AM MDT

• No problem ... never did like baseball.  :)
      April 25, 2018 5:23 AM MDT

I think it's just that they (TCM, its employees and subsidiaries) are such authorities and pundits of the medium of film, especially classic film.  Think of it the same way as a college professor explaining a master work of art.  They present facts about the artist, the model (if relevant), the era, the media, the technique, the application and any social or political impacts that may have affected the art or that the art may have affected.

April 24, 2018 9:07 PM MDT

Thank you. I'm not sure if you're trying to convince me or have me look at a different perspective or something along those lines. I don't like being told finite details of the plot of a movie that I'm about to see, or one that I haven't seen, it's as simple as that.   I do understand that others see it differently, fine. That's why I mute the volume during that portion. 
    ~
      April 25, 2018 4:35 AM MDT

Spoilers?  Perhaps they assume most everyone has already seen the movie.
      April 24, 2018 9:30 PM MDT

I like going into a movie ready to be dazzled or surprised or mesmerized or entertained by it. I also like seeing a movie that I've seen before to reminisce, to pick up on things I might not have noticed before, to enjoy. I don't like to have it laid out to me beforehand. 
    ~
      April 25, 2018 4:31 AM MDT

Agreed.  However, many older movies are being forgotten - especially by the newer generations.  Telling about the movie helps keep it "alive".   Like in a history class.  Plus it may give the viewers something to look for in a movie (certain scene, sub-plot) which they hadn't considered (or noticed on their first viewing).  Granted they say way too much (I too hate spoilers).  On the other hand, if they waited until after the movie, their audience would be significantly less as most people tune out at the end of a movie or just after the credits (this is why newer movies have started adding more movie during or immediately after the credits). 
      April 25, 2018 9:32 AM MDT

A movie usually has to be padded to fit a time slot. There is nothing to do that except talk. If they could run a commercial, they would do that instead.
      April 25, 2018 12:30 AM MDT

It's not the amount of talking; there are zillions of other things they could be saying. They spend a few minutes on backstory, and then just before signing off and the start of the movie, "In this next picture, you'll see the tale of . . . "
    Grrrrrrr. 
    ~
      April 25, 2018 4:25 AM MDT

("public' teaction"?)  
      April 25, 2018 1:02 AM MDT

April 25, 2018 4:22 AM MDT

Thanks for catching that, Dear. It's been edited. 
    :)
      April 25, 2018 4:38 AM MDT

When do you ever not have any glaring complaints.....:( 
    We would all think you were broke if you stopped complaining........

Now if your getting short of the ole spondooleries just ask.....   :)D 
      April 25, 2018 2:37 AM MDT

What the heck are spondooleries?  Can't someone keep this Cockney chick from finding my questions?

~
      April 25, 2018 4:22 AM MDT

Cash ...... I can't believe I still have too explain every things to you Yanks......it's a good job for yew that us cute Brits are always in a good mood.   :)D 
      April 25, 2018 11:57 AM MDT

I'd think the same if I were watching.
    It's the main reason I go to the snack bar and get snacks for my movie mates during movie trailers/"coming attractions." I can't stand to see or hear practically anything from/about a movie before I see it.

Two movies in particular ended up being incredibly wonderful movie experiences for me because I had seen nothing from either movie and knew nothing about the specifics of their plots - - the original "Cloverfield" and "Bug."
    :)

Keep that volume down . . . 
    This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at April 26, 2018 6:23 AM MDT
      April 25, 2018 8:47 AM MDT