Active Now

Reverend Muhammadovsky
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Family » Think about your immediate and extended family members; do you ever wonder if you were switched at birth with someone else's baby? ~

Think about your immediate and extended family members; do you ever wonder if you were switched at birth with someone else's baby? ~

I am referring to personality, demeanor, mood, mannerisms and character traits, not physical attributes and/or facial features. 

Posted - April 28, 2018

Responses

My mum has an identical twin ,they both fell pregnant at roughly the same time.....I have a cousin that looks like my twin sister ......13 years ago when we all went out together ,it use to get very confusing.....:) 
      April 28, 2018 8:01 AM MDT

OMG...two NJs.
      April 28, 2018 9:57 AM MDT

Well...more kind of four really......just the one loopy one though...:( 
      April 28, 2018 10:07 AM MDT

That being you of course.
      April 28, 2018 2:09 PM MDT

When I look around at those outside of it methink I would have been no better off.
      April 28, 2018 8:05 AM MDT

Sometimes.... sometimes!
      April 28, 2018 9:07 AM MDT

No...there is a strong resemblance throughout the Davis clan. Even my long lost and now found baby sister.
      April 28, 2018 9:59 AM MDT

I was referring more to personality, demeanor, mood and character traits than physical attributes and/or facial features. 
    ~
      April 28, 2018 5:44 PM MDT

I hate fine print. We are all crazy, sarcastic know-it-alls. High intelligence runs rampant, as does a low tolerance for stupidity and ignorance. And most of us like to fish. Oh, most of us have a twisted sense of humor.
      April 29, 2018 6:29 AM MDT

No, but I would like to be able to prune the family tree with regard to a few in-laws.
      April 28, 2018 11:27 AM MDT

I am considered the 'normal' one in my family. I used to hope and pray that I would find my real family, but I finally had to face reality.
      April 28, 2018 6:20 PM MDT

Lol!

~
      April 28, 2018 6:22 PM MDT

HUGE GIGGLES!  Even DON is Laughing OUT LOUD!
      April 28, 2018 7:53 PM MDT

Yes. I look like my dad and everyone else looks like my moms side of the family. My dad died when I was two, so all you have is me to look at. With that said, I look like I was adopted. ;+
      April 28, 2018 6:31 PM MDT

I was referring more to personality, demeanor, mood and character traits than physical attributes and/or facial features. (I have just edited the question to reflect that.)

April 28, 2018 7:39 PM MDT

As far as personality, demeanor, mood and character traits, it's hard to say about any traits I may have carried from my father's side.  I didn't know him but from visitation rights.  They divorced when I was 2 and I haven't seen him in over 40 years.  He is now dead so there is no way to find out.

However, on my mom's side, between my Grammie, mom, my sister, and myself, there is NO way I was grabbed by a different mom.  My sister and I don't look at all alike but our smiles, our mannerisms, and our sentence structure when we speak, let alone our laughs are identical to our mom.  
    Even though my sister and I don't live near each other or spent any long-span of time together over the last 38 years, we are always surprised by how similar we are.  We carry many of the same flaws and benefits. This post was edited by Merlin at April 29, 2018 1:41 PM MDT
      April 28, 2018 8:09 PM MDT

Thank you.  One thing about sentence structure: even though speech is an innate ability, language is a learned entity, one that is determinate upon environment.  The ability to talk is one thing, the way one talks derives from hearing first and imitation later.  Those two aspects, speech and language, are not based on the amount of intelligence one has, as evidenced by the fact that children learn to speak first and to read/write later.  That means that sentence structure is a product of what one is surrounded with, along the same lines of accent or dialect.  A baby who is primarily exposed to Southern drawl, Boston twang, Cockney intonations, Midwestern idioms, tonal Mandarin, et cetera, will most likely develop the exact same speech patterns in the way he or she talks.  The same is largely true of grammar-related idiosyncrasies, such as sentence structure.  The closeness and intimacy of a parent-child relationship almost guarantees similarities in the way the child learns to talk and the things that he or she says.

April 28, 2018 8:43 PM MDT

So True! So True!  "You pawk ya caw" in Boston while "warshing" your clothes in Missouri.  "You guys" know what I'm talkin' about, right? in Oregon and "Y'all just come back now, ya hear?" in Texas.  An array of colorful slants we all seem to understand on the English language and sentence structure.
    I absolutely agree.  I'm sure your children will have quite elegant  speech and writing abilities.  Big hugs and loves to you and your lovely wife and children!  I'm off again for a little bit.  Love, Merlin
    :) :) 
      April 28, 2018 9:22 PM MDT

Dang...no mistakes.
      April 29, 2018 1:42 PM MDT

Well, it certainly isn't every single day, but still and all, you usually have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat ye olde Randall D. 

~
      April 29, 2018 1:47 PM MDT

If it weren't for physical attributes and being certain that my mom would never have stepped out, I would wonder about belonging to my dad and most of his side of the family. 
      April 29, 2018 7:20 AM MDT

Not in my case, I'm my mother in male. My daughter is a carbon copy of my baby sister right down to voice and mannerisms, so much so that my brother-in-law once mistook her for his wife (which was awkward).
    We did wonder if my brother James and cousin Jennifer were changelings - both look like they belong in the other family.
      April 29, 2018 10:25 PM MDT

no cause i look just like my parents
      May 21, 2018 5:56 PM MDT