Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Language » Some people refer to wives as "the wife". I never hear anyone refer to husbands as "the husband". Why is that? ~

Some people refer to wives as "the wife". I never hear anyone refer to husbands as "the husband". Why is that? ~

Posted - April 30, 2018

Responses

I have no idea how she refers to me when I am not around. Probably something like "That a**hole".
      April 30, 2018 1:45 PM MDT

I refer to mine as Hubby.  I never thought about why but it sounds better than "the husband".  The Husband sounds like it should be the title for a movie.

Hubby never referred to me as "the wife".  With him it's just "my wife" or "Livvie".

"The wife" kind of makes it sound like they're putting her in the same category as "the car" or "the boat".
      April 30, 2018 1:48 PM MDT

I hear it frequently.  The husband.

I never liked the old lady/old man thing.
      April 30, 2018 3:05 PM MDT

You've really heard it that way?

I've heard examples such as: "How did you and the wife do on selling your vacation property?"
    Or
    "I let the wife know your party will be planned for this weekend. 
    ~
      April 30, 2018 5:19 PM MDT

A thousand times.  I probably said it myself.  
      May 1, 2018 3:12 AM MDT

• "I don't think I've ever heard a lady talk about her husband like a possession either."
      April 30, 2018 3:13 PM MDT

She's my better half. I'm incomplete without her.

Occasionally "my wife", never "the wife". She's not a thing.
      May 1, 2018 1:12 AM MDT

Some are things....Tony Blairs wife Cherrie for one....she's a real cringed :( 
      May 1, 2018 1:33 AM MDT

I have heard that usage but never thought anything of it.  Just as I have heard (not recently) "the parents". 

I do think many of us tend to view a husband as an achievement -  we don't get married every day - so is something we are proud of rather than just something that we can replace.  I waited 53 years to have a husband.  So we are more likely to say "my husband" or, with people who know him, mention him by name.  I think that is more affectionate. 

Might depend too on who is our audience.  Talking to another man there might be a sense of oh yes that is what wives are like or what they do.   Where when we talk among ourselves about our men we are more likely to mention certain behaviors and chuckle affectionately over them and that is one way we bond. 
      May 1, 2018 5:07 AM MDT

not sure why
      May 20, 2018 5:31 PM MDT