Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Why do landlords seem to be so cruel?

Why do landlords seem to be so cruel?

Posted - May 22, 2018

Responses

I think it's inbuilt into the species... people are just a source of money to them and if they can get better money elsewhere they will, if you have any problems they will find a new source.... basically they don't care...

On the other hand we have pub landlords here as in the people who rent the pub or lease it or whatever.... they tend to be very nice :)
      May 22, 2018 10:57 AM MDT

• "Because you're not one."
      May 22, 2018 11:27 AM MDT

I've never had a cruel landlord.
    I've had some that wouldn't put up with ridiculous **** being asked of them by tenants, though. This post was edited by my2cents at May 22, 2018 7:28 PM MDT
      May 22, 2018 3:30 PM MDT

I have only rented my home for the few years  when I was in Washington.  My landlord and I became friends.  My husband and his family for generations were real estate investors and owned many hundreds of rental units.  They were not cruel and before my husband finished graduate school and joined the company tenants were allowed to get behind and stay behind in their lease obligations.  A lot of the units were low-rent and my inlaws would not kick poor people from their homes.  My father-in-law would go around and ask if they had any rent for him.  Sometimes they did and he was happy to get a piece of homemade pie with that $.90 rent payment.  I don't expect to ever know anyone like him again in my life.  
      May 22, 2018 6:37 PM MDT

Is it cruel to expect the rent money his tenant agreed to pay, without heartache? Or cruel to expect a tenant to respect the property? To honor a contract? 

Having been a landlord myself, I can tell you will be hard-pressed to expect either of these, if tenants don’t believe you have the stones to enforce the rental agreement. 
    It’s business, not charity. 
      May 22, 2018 6:56 PM MDT

I've mostly rented trough airbnb when people are on vacation or here on a long-term stay from Europe.  I've gotten along well with all but a few of them and those I don't get along with I just leave alone.  Now we have a house rented to locals on a lease.  We expected to become friends with them but they are the cold ones.  They pay the rent and are taking good care of the place so I leave them alone.  It could be a friendly arrangement but with them it's all business.
      May 22, 2018 7:12 PM MDT

They are not cruel, they are defensive. Renters are the least responsible people. Here is the book:
    https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=william+nickerson
      May 22, 2018 7:34 PM MDT

Some are, some aren't,  like everybody. My current landlord is friendly and quite reasonable, my previous landlady a hard-a$$ed b*tch.
      May 22, 2018 9:52 PM MDT

not all of them are like that, you just got unlucky
      May 23, 2018 2:46 PM MDT