Active Now

Randy D
Danilo_G
Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » How do you personally distinguish between disagreement, criticism, and hatred?

How do you personally distinguish between disagreement, criticism, and hatred?

Where is the line? 

Posted - May 27, 2018

Responses

Disagreement is when they disagree with me.  Criticism is when they criticize me.  Hatred is when they try to belittle and discredit and charge me with all manner of untruths simply because I disagree with them.  
      May 27, 2018 1:35 PM MDT

I think disagreement is simply when the other person/s say or believe something which I don't agree on - we disagree. It can be mild disagreement or fundamental disagreement.

Criticism - I believe that's when someone points out something negative about you, you are doing or saying something that they believe warrants criticism. It can be constructive or not.  Criticism is one I have done a lot of personal development on... I used to be ever so sensitive about - I couldn't stand any form of criticism, Just hated anything negative, even if well intentioned..  Now, because of the particular course I am on, I get criticised or critiqued all the time - and I have come to see it as a positive thing.. Nasty criticism is probably still nasty... 

Hatred - well that's a category above nasty criticism. It's usually not about the person being subjected to hate, but more about the person doing the hating. There's something within them that cannot tolerate in a reasonable way people who are different, people who disagree or people who criticise. They are often insecure and feel overwhelmed quite easily.
      May 27, 2018 2:09 PM MDT

I don't consider them to even be synonymous with each other.  
      May 27, 2018 2:19 PM MDT

• Ideally, they shouldn't be. I often criticize positions I agree with because I want to test the limits of the argument. And I can do either without hatred. 
      May 27, 2018 2:41 PM MDT

I don't see a line connecting them. But I am quite literal and and immune to innuendo. But I can detect a hidden agenda in an argument at times.
      May 27, 2018 2:51 PM MDT

• Disagreement is healthy. Criticism should be constructive, meaning solutions are offered. Hatred is what you find here: Bigoted, bitter, bellicose, prejudiced, inflammatory, discriminatory coarse, vulgar and seething with a lynch mob mentality. 
      May 27, 2018 3:48 PM MDT

Yes. Its quite unpleasant.  ;)
      May 27, 2018 3:49 PM MDT

The speaker will tell you which one he/she is.
      May 28, 2018 12:53 AM MDT

not sure since they all sound the same
      May 28, 2018 3:44 PM MDT