Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Are you ever hypocritical?

Are you ever hypocritical?

I can be hypocritical at times.

I tell my child to eat healthy, but I eat junk when he's in school.

I get irritated when some drivers get too close behind me.
Then when I'm in a hurry I get irritated about other people being in my way.

I get mad at the cat for killing animals in the yard then I go eat a chicken burger.

Just a few examples.

In what ways are you a hypocrite?

Posted - June 14, 2018

Responses

i try not to be
      June 14, 2018 3:29 PM MDT

• It's hard to always live up to one's own ethics.
    ~

I place a high value on Non-Violent Communication as a means of avoiding and/or resolving conflict.

And yet when I'm emotionally triggered I still over-react and forget to use the methods. By the time the conflict has erupted, the only thing I can do is take time out and come back to the repairs later. Rarely happens with others, but happens frequently with my husband.
    ~

I value open-mindedness. Yet recently, I ended a correspondence due to radically different points of view. It became too difficult and too much of a struggle after the same issue had arisen three times in different guises. 
    I can't tolerate sexism - and so that value outweighed my value for tolerance. Now I'm questioning myself, trying to work out if I was being fair and realistic or acting out of past trauma.
    ~

I'm a vegetarian - but I've been known to sometimes eat something with flesh in it so as not to offend a hostess (mother of a friend) who's gone to a lot of trouble with the cooking.
    ~

I value honesty - but, on occasion, I have lied.
      June 14, 2018 7:16 PM MDT

Thank you for sharing.
    I think it's very important for people to be able to at least recognize if they're being hypocritical in some way.
    I think it's part of how we grow and improve as human beings.

June 14, 2018 9:11 PM MDT

Seems to me you're just being human. We're at a disadvantage being imperfect. As hard as we may try. (Romans 7:21) This post was edited by Autumnleaves at September 28, 2021 8:37 PM MDT
      June 18, 2018 10:48 PM MDT

I think that all of us, in one way or another, are hypocrites.
      September 28, 2021 8:37 PM MDT

I'm sure that I am, but I forget. So it's ok.
      September 28, 2021 8:41 PM MDT