Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Music » It's funny the songs that pop into our heads, seemingly for no apparent reason... What song in in your head or heart today?

It's funny the songs that pop into our heads, seemingly for no apparent reason... What song in in your head or heart today?

Here's mine and boy is it weird! Weird because I wasn't even aware I even knew it.. I must have heard it somewhere along the way... but for some reason it really speaks to me today.. which is also odd because it's almost the opposite of how I feel, with a mountain of worries and stress.. Maybe, just maybe it's telling me that this is how I SHOULD feel? Who knows!

Posted - June 19, 2018

Responses

I'm a right clumsy little bird ,so the old  ABBA song is always on my mind....it's called ...'Slipping through my Fingers'     :(
      June 19, 2018 2:52 PM MDT

Aww I am sure people don't see you as you see yourself and I am sure you are more like Abba, Dancing Queen or Voulez Vous
      June 19, 2018 2:58 PM MDT

That might be more apt .....lol
      June 19, 2018 3:04 PM MDT

"Head music" can be triggered by sounds/tones, odors, flavors, things, events or even places.   Our brains store memories with "tabs" (so to speak) for quick retrieval.  The tabs are usually associated with the 5 main senses - taste, sight, hearing, touch and smell.  When we experience something, our brain quickly opens up a tab to "jar our memory".  This is how we recognize things (fire, food, chair, friend, and so forth).  For example, if we see someone we know, we can get a feeling - happiness if we like them, anger if we hate them. 

Our brains like to associate smell and music to memories more than anything else.  This is why music help us remember things.  You probably remember the tune to "Happy Birthday" more than you recall a lecture you attended 4 days ago
    Since these memory tags are made subconsciously, we usually don't know what they are.  Thus a certain smell, item or a place can suddenly trigger a memory aht we haven't has in a long time (such as your song).  
      June 19, 2018 3:17 PM MDT

I love that explanation. I am sure there's a reason a lot of the time, if not all of the time.. it's doing a job of some kind, be it bringing back a memory or giving us a message.. I really think mine was telling me that I shouldn't stress so much.. or not let it affect me so much. 
      June 20, 2018 10:10 AM MDT

It's "simply" my favorite song by my favorite group
    :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 20, 2018 1:05 PM MDT
      June 19, 2018 3:23 PM MDT

Nice! I like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljIQo1OHkTI
      June 19, 2018 4:35 PM MDT

God, yes, SavvyAnsley!! This one is practically my second favorite! I even asked a question about it on answerMug - - go answer the question, now! Ha!

Just kidding -- but here is a link to my question I asked about the song.

https://answermug.com/forums/topic/57458/alive-and-kicking
      June 19, 2018 5:35 PM MDT

I was on vacation when you asked. I've now responded. :)
      June 20, 2018 4:47 PM MDT

No worries!
    I loved your answer!
      June 20, 2018 4:54 PM MDT

That's got quite a haunting feel to it... It reminds me of the old folk songs my mum used to sing me...  It's not the kind of song I would have thought would come from Simple Minds but that just shows how little I know about the group.. I think I just associated them with their hit back in the 80's or so.
      June 20, 2018 1:07 PM MDT

I love that big hit they had, too -- I assume you mean "(Don't You) Forget about Me."

Simple Minds rarely, if ever, have ever disappointed me as far as albums, songs, etc.
    And lead vocalist Jim Kerr has a voice I never tire of hearing.

"Belfast Child," here, strikes me the same way it strikes you - - haunting and folk-like. (and if I'm not mistaken, I think I read somewhere that the melody to this song is, indeed, a folk tune from somewhere that Simple Minds adapted).

Oh - - and I have to check --  but I saw some Simple Minds tour dates and they may be playing a site just an hour away from me. I should go! I've got to check that out again. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 20, 2018 4:48 PM MDT
      June 20, 2018 4:37 PM MDT

Stouthearted Men...          https://youtu.be/jOGShSNsVdA
      June 19, 2018 3:49 PM MDT

This came to mind as I was thinking about our disgusting POTUS and his gang:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYa1eI1hpDE
      June 19, 2018 4:37 PM MDT

Love it, love it.. I'd not heard that one but have always liked Taylor Swift as a guilty secret,. I first heard her and shared with daughter who now considers that I am too old to like Taylor Swift :P 
      June 20, 2018 1:13 PM MDT

I'm not really a fan, but I enjoy the hel! out of that song. Very fitting for Donald Chump, too. :)
      June 20, 2018 4:50 PM MDT

Who Wants to Live Forever (Queen)

June 19, 2018 4:47 PM MDT

Oh cool, I absolutely love Freddy Mercury and the album this comes from is my favourite of all. I love the film too :)

June 20, 2018 10:07 AM MDT

• I've only heard this song a couple of times, but it's back again!

Shakira - La La La

June 19, 2018 5:24 PM MDT

Very much like that - and it's another new song that I hadn't heard.. I sometimes wonder where I've been to have missed so many great songs. 
      June 20, 2018 1:39 PM MDT

• I know exactly how you feel!!  I just discovered Celtic Metal music and its been around for ten years. First Metal Music I've ever liked! .....   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5u9glfqDsc
      June 20, 2018 3:22 PM MDT

That's very cool too.. love metal, it's one of my top two favourites so I really appreciated the celtic metal. I was lucky to have had a friend who introduced me to lots of different metal genres - stuff like viking metal, piratical metal, operatic metal and he even taught me how to tell the difference between UK and US metal :)
      June 20, 2018 3:50 PM MDT

This one just popped up as I read your question.

This post was edited by Element 99 at June 20, 2018 1:44 PM MDT
      June 19, 2018 7:38 PM MDT

A fabulous smooth lovin vibe there :)
      June 20, 2018 1:45 PM MDT