Active Now

Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » Have you ever lived in a place without air conditioning? If so, how did you stay cool?

Have you ever lived in a place without air conditioning? If so, how did you stay cool?

Posted - June 24, 2018

Responses

Yeah...two US Naval vessels. USS Hunley and USS Yellowstone. Cool? We just got used to it.
      June 24, 2018 5:41 PM MDT

Yikes. That experience must have stunk. ;O
      June 24, 2018 8:54 PM MDT

Literally. And we only got one brief shower a day.
      June 25, 2018 6:52 AM MDT

Not only that, Shipmate, they were Navy showers*, right?

Reminds me of my single days when I dated a woman who knew absolutely nothing about the military.  She was living on a tight budget, and was always yammering on and in about ways to save money, so it seemed logical to me that I should introduce the topic of saving water. (Besides, we lived in a drought area anyway.)  Save water, your water bill is lower, right?  
      Carbie, Shipmate, and anyone else who reads this, you would have thought I suggested that she beat kittens and puppies with sharpened two-by-fours and then throw them down an incinerator chute!  She thought I was the most insane person she had ever met, only because it was something she had never heard of before.

*Look it up, for those of you who don't know what it means. 
    ~

June 26, 2018 6:14 AM MDT

Yep...good ol' Navy showers.
      June 26, 2018 6:18 AM MDT

If you don't have air conditioning, you get used to the heat. The body learns three tricks: sweat more, sweat sooner, and grow 50% more blood volume. The process takes about three weeks and is called "acclimatizing".
      June 24, 2018 8:34 PM MDT

I noticed that. I was far more uncomfortable during the first week or two when the weather started heating up. I barely notice it any more. My son would pass out from the heat up here. Its neat how people can get acclimated to weather. ;) 
      June 24, 2018 8:53 PM MDT

Humans are the most adaptable species on the planet. 

~
      June 24, 2018 8:55 PM MDT

Yes, thank goodness. ;)
      June 24, 2018 8:56 PM MDT

That's because we can change our environment. I saw a documentary about cats. It was determined that they are the most adaptable.
      June 25, 2018 6:55 AM MDT

• "Yes ... Arizona."  "Moved to California."  :))
      June 24, 2018 9:32 PM MDT

Hey Alf.  I grew up in Phoenix and went to school in Tucson - and you?
      June 25, 2018 7:40 AM MDT

• My parents initially moved to the Tucson area and we lived there for about four years.

As an adult, I moved back to the Phoenix area, from California, and lived in Peoria for a while. The company I was working for based me out of Phoenix, so the move seemed to be a logical one.

Anyway, I've always liked Arizona.  The most picturesque U.S. desert, in my opinion, and the prettiest sunsets. They're amazing!

June 25, 2018 8:07 AM MDT

After Hurricanes Jean and Frances, we were without electricity for two weeks.  I worked all day in the heat cleaning up debris but before going to bed at night I would take a nice cool bath to help me go to sleep.
      June 24, 2018 10:52 PM MDT

Went most of my life without air conditioning.  When I could afford them I used electric fans which I still prefer for general everyday use.  Never had an air conditioner until I was in my later 40s.  Which was a few years less than I went without a husband. 
      June 25, 2018 6:07 AM MDT

Yes for about a week Had a bad AC it kept freezing up. I took lots of showers. 
    My husband did not think it got that hot during the day (he was at work). I kept his home one day and we were off to the store. Purchased a brand new AC and a pool. 
      June 25, 2018 8:39 AM MDT

HAHAHA Typical. ;)
      June 25, 2018 4:18 PM MDT

holy crap.....IVE NEVER LIVED ANYWHERE WITH A/C!!!  my present little apt. has one in the bedroom, other than that, NOTHING....I use fans i every room and am quite comfortable...

it's not the end of the world if you don't have A/C, really!!!!

for the rest of us who don't have it, learn how to use open windows and fans to pull the air thru your place.

when I was growing up in the 1940/50s, we had a huge house with a wonderful attic fan.......I loved to pull the big rope at night before going to bed, and hearing that wonderful 'whoosing' sound that meant, 'nice and cool for sleeping'!!!!!

so yes, it can be done.......

and don't forget ceiling fans help a lot, too..

But as for me, I've lived without it all my life, and am 76 now, & lovin' it!!!!

June 25, 2018 9:09 AM MDT

We had an attic fan with a basement house....was wonderful to pull that cool air up from the basement.
      June 25, 2018 4:50 PM MDT

You never visited southern Arizona, did you? Phoenix has always been known as the cooler capital of the world. Cooler stores line the streets like used car lots. I mean back when the world had used car lots.

When I was young and strong I didn't pay much attention to the temperature, although I did wear sunglasses because the sunlight is so bright here. Now I am old and frail, so I turn on the ac when the inside temperature goes above 95F. That usually corresponds to an outside temperature above 110F. In the evening when the outside temperature drops below the inside temperature, I turn on a fan in the window to pull outside air through the house. That keeps the electric bill down.
      June 25, 2018 9:03 PM MDT

we have the AC at home but so far it hasnt been too warm ... we live in canada so the climate is cool here
      June 25, 2018 4:07 PM MDT

yes, when i first moved here my apt building didnt have it the first summer, i had this cooler i got and would put water in it, id run my fan and open windows, the following summer they decided to put them in the apts cause some people were getting sick from the heat, and they turn it on before summer and shut it off in the fall
      June 25, 2018 4:43 PM MDT

Throughout my entire childhood. I sweated and got used to it - there was a ceiling fan in the living room but that was all. I never had air conditioning until I married and got a place of my own.
      June 25, 2018 5:21 PM MDT

We didn't have it when I growing up.  We played with the garden hose a lot.   I spent half of the summer with my best friend whose family had a summer house at the river so it didn't matter....we were swimming and skiing all day.  
      June 25, 2018 10:05 PM MDT