Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Is there such a thing as a minimalist hoarder? Are you minimalist or a hoarder/collector?

Is there such a thing as a minimalist hoarder? Are you minimalist or a hoarder/collector?

My daughter is moving bedrooms to a much bigger room, she is wanting bare shelves but is finding it hard to throw out anything... the two are inconsistent but I perfectly understand how she feels as I would say I vary between collector and minimalist... I aspire to minimalist but love to collect things and treasure mementos that have special memories.. 

What's your style? 

Posted - June 27, 2018

Responses

... I guess a "minimalist hoarder" would have NOTHING.
      June 27, 2018 7:15 AM MDT

I like to think that I am a minimalist. (I really need to get rid of some of my tools I never use anymore.)
      June 27, 2018 7:16 AM MDT

I have participated in a few forums of that type, and almost all discussions are about what exactly their thesis means.

For instance, Motley Fool had a forum called "Living Below Your Means" and the most common topic was "Is this LBYM?" One fellow posted a pic of a wristwatch that cost $3500 and described how the people he wanted to hang out with were discerning enough to notice his taste in watches, and they could offer him business to produce enough profits to afford such a bauble. The discussion lasted several weeks.

* I posted at LBYM with the headline "LBYM dilemma: SUV half price". Arizona was paying half the cost of a new SUV for people who modified it to run on fuel other than gas. LBYM members couldn't figure out what to think about that.

Facebook also has a group for "Frugal Minimalism". Those two concepts are somewhat contradictory, and a lot of space is spent discussing which is what.
      June 27, 2018 8:20 AM MDT

BTW I have no furniture in my living room because I simply don't go there. But I spent years planning a bookshelf to display my plate collection. I kept putting it off because I am not up to the labor of building such a thing, and I didn't want to pay someone to do it for me. But I ran across a cheap system at Amazon and sprang for it. So now my plates are displayed and it only cost me 200 bux. Actually, I measured wrong and ordered almost twice as many units as I needed. But that's ok, I'll just hoard the extras.

98 plates. I think. I keep counting different numbers. I bought the first plate in San Francisco in 1962 when I went there to see my girlfriend, and after that I just bought a souvenir plate wherever I went.
      June 27, 2018 8:27 AM MDT

i used to be a hoarder in some type... i was collecting old videogames , and had many boxes of it in my room... i was reselling them for profit on ebay, but i stopped doing it.. one day , i should not have done it, but i put everything in the garbage... so i lost aall those videogames.. i shoudl had keep them and sell them all on ebay but instead i put them in garbage.
      June 27, 2018 11:19 AM MDT

probably
      June 28, 2018 3:39 PM MDT