Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Emotions » I understand that counselling is considered more acceptable in the US? Is that right or do people still assume it's for people who are nuts?

I understand that counselling is considered more acceptable in the US? Is that right or do people still assume it's for people who are nuts?

Or in some way weak? Here in the UK things are changing but many still believe counselling is for those who are weak, or who don't have any friends, or who are a bit mad... 

Posted - July 18, 2018

Responses

Q: Where are you going?
    A: Crazy. Wanna come with?
      July 18, 2018 4:06 PM MDT

It's quite fun to be crazy now and then :) Although technically counsellors don't deal with people who have serious mental health issues, they go to psychiatrists. 
      July 19, 2018 1:27 AM MDT

How do you define counselor? To be qualified, one must be a social worker, psychologist, or psychiatrist.
      July 19, 2018 3:41 AM MDT

I am afraid that is not correct. A psychologist is a psychologist, a psychologist a psychologist.. A counsellor SHOULD be someone who is specifically trained and qualified in the field of talking therapies.  
      July 19, 2018 3:51 AM MDT

I'm afraid that it is correct. Social workers, psychologists, and psychiatrists all may engage in counseling as part of their practices. You also may add clergy to that group. Who else is qualified?
      July 19, 2018 4:18 AM MDT

Factually, anyone can call themselves a counsellor here.. However that is entirely different to one who is a qualified counsellor. Factually a social worker MAY, but usually will not, call themselves a counsellor. They may have dual qualifications but unless they are a qualified counsellor they aren't a qualified counsellor, and that is not factually so.. A qualified counsellor is NOT a social worker, a psychiatrist etc.. A qualified psychiatrist or even psychologist is likely to earn a lot more than a counsellor, so there would be no point calling oneself a cousnellor... 

A social worker may USE or utilise counselling skills within her practice, and ditty a psychiatrist.. however they are not qualified counsellors and their remit, agenda and abilities are not those of a qualified counsellor.

But the point is you said a counsellor MUST be a psychiatrist, social worker etc.. and that is factually untrue.
      July 19, 2018 4:29 AM MDT

• I think a mature and sympathetic listener can make a very good counsellor. More often than not, a troubled mind needs someone to share his/her burden, and mature listening goes a long way to lighten it. 
    And I disagree about the "nuts" part of your question. With today's tremendous personal and professional pressures, everyone comes across situations which cannot be coped with alone and need help to deal with. That doesn't mke a person "nuts". This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 12, 2018 6:32 AM MDT
      July 26, 2018 6:37 PM MDT

OK, but it wasn't my question. You should address that part of this to the asker, Adaydreambeliever.
      July 26, 2018 10:08 PM MDT

ADDB- Many people in America (too many in my estimation) are eaten up with political correctness (PC), you‘d be surprised. What probably started out as a well-intentioned idea involving not offending people, has become a tool for wily politicians and control freaks to police what people say and think. A complete affront to Free Speech. 

As an example, in my youth, kids with learning disablilities were “retarded“, now they’re “intellectually disadvantaged”.
    By the same token, “in counseling” is now basically a blanket method of equivocating what was once called “crazy” or “mentally ill”, as lesser problems, lumping them in with people who aren’t crazy or mentally ill.

So many people are in “counseling” of one type or another in the US, it has become something of a banality, like pubic waxing. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 9, 2018 5:41 PM MDT
      July 18, 2018 4:25 PM MDT

I don't mind being called mentally ill. To me, if counseling helps, go for it, possibly banal or not.
    I have. It's helped. 
    I'm not disagreeing with your answer, Don Barzini --  in fact, I'm just saying I don't really mind what someone might call what I do to get help. (Heaven knows I've been called a myriad of names for other reasons.)
    I'm also to the point to possibly calling myself mentally ill. But I'm a damn nice potentially mentally ill person who can laugh at himself.
    :)
    I appreciate your answer, Don Barzini. Got me thinking on some stuff and that certainly is a good thing.

July 18, 2018 4:37 PM MDT

Welby,
     I agree that being mentally ill in itself, is not a sin (under the common definition of “sin“) nor is it an indictment of a person’s character, but the term “mentally ill” is an uncomfortable label for some who are. That’s where my point lies, avoiding offense at the expense of calling a spade a spade. 

I applaud your self-awareness, and your (too rare) ability to laugh at yourself and approach your life with humor. Hope it rubs off on others. This post was edited by Don Barzini at July 18, 2018 6:58 PM MDT
      July 18, 2018 4:48 PM MDT

Ah! Thanks for adding more details. That helped me out.

Thank you, also, for giving a better-written self-affirmation I can give myself - -  what you wrote "I applaud your self-awareness, and your (too rare) ability to laugh at yourself and approach your life with humor" is indeed how I approach myself and life. Some days are better than others. I appreciate again your taking time to reply. 
      July 18, 2018 5:02 PM MDT

My pleasure.
      July 18, 2018 5:52 PM MDT

Interesting perspective.. I know that there it's now pretty commonplace to be referred for counselling.. so it's normal now? Here things are only just taking off..  Counsellors don't deal with people who have severe mental health issues, they need psychiatrists. 
    Learning disabilities are called learning difficulties or learning disabilities here :P  And with many of them, like Dyslexia and ADHD the person can actually be incredibly intelligent, even gifted intelligence but there is a typical mismatch with some areas they perform less well at.. 
      July 19, 2018 1:31 AM MDT

Many try to push counseling in the US, but there are a lot of barriers that not everyone feels comfortable crossing.

One is that turning to others (especially strangers) and admitting you need help goes against the grain.  It's admitting you're weak - and NO ONE wants to be seen (or labeled) as being weak.  Weakness wounds one's sense of pride.  This is especially true among males.

Another barrier is that the "just get over it" attitude is very prevalent in today's society.  If someone is having a problem or is going through a rough patch in life, the prevailing cry is "just get over it", not "seek counseling".   If one can simply "get over it", then it means they're strong.  Unfortunately, no one can simply "get over it" - despite what many may claim.

July 18, 2018 5:11 PM MDT

That's very insightful, thank you.. so it seems that the same barriers exist there as here. people fear it's a sign of weakness, and stigma that people feel they should, 'just get over it' - that's very sad because in reality we all need someone to talk to, and much as we love friends and relatives opinions, they often cannot be truly objective and often have their own agenda. 
      July 19, 2018 1:35 AM MDT

I have been to a couple of counselors. They are neutral parties to whom I can speak with about things I cannot share with family. They don't judge, just listen. Kind of a purge. I suffer from bi-polar, but it is being treated medically with great success. That is quite different from counseling.
      July 18, 2018 5:40 PM MDT

Absolutely spot on... you said that brilliantly. The power of just being listened to and not judged cannot be underestimated. 
      July 19, 2018 1:37 AM MDT

I'm sorry, but I must roll my eyeballs at the prissy Puritanical nonsense that is still held as "correct" in some places. 

In this day and age where all information is easily obtained and, let's face it, insanity abounds and everyone has at least one addict in the family.  Everyone knows some criminal somewhere.  In other words, mental anomalies are rampant on every street.  So, why would the idea of DENIAL which never works, be embraced by the sensible Brits?

Do NOT get it.  I believe you should not overdramatize, but the exact opposite is oppressive and brings its own can of worms.  We cannot supress emotions for too long.   Something will give.  It may be in the form of an extra glass of the bubbly, or an addiction to shopping or sex or something to fill that hole in your gut.

July 18, 2018 6:58 PM MDT

Well said.. I have seen on here that others mention the, 'just get over it' and perception that it's weak to talk about your problems.. here we have the old, 'stiff upper lip' which basically means, the same thing, don't make a fuss, carry on as usual, pretend everything is ok.. it stems still from the idea that not to do so  could reveal a sign of weakness.. 
      July 19, 2018 1:41 AM MDT

I went to a psychiatrist for major depression.  I was not out of touch with reality; I really had something to be depressed about.  That resulted in adrenaline depletion and a cascade of other neurochemical problems.  The MD gave me an SSRI and within a few weeks I was much better able to cope with the stress and saw the situation through to a successful conclusion.  Still my old, old father, an MD himself, treats me like I'm a nut case.  most younger people do not, not that I'm aware of.
      July 18, 2018 7:02 PM MDT

I can't speak for the greater population, but I don't personally know anyone who hasn't seen a mental health professional at least once. I think it's par for the course. Sure, some involves treating mental illnesses, but we all have struggles in life. It can be helpful to get outside perspective and have someone to bounce thoughts off of from time to time. 
      July 18, 2018 7:12 PM MDT

Absolutely and another perfect response.. 
      July 19, 2018 1:42 AM MDT

AFAIK counselling means "We wanna beat the snot out of you, but that ain't legal any more."
      July 18, 2018 8:36 PM MDT