Active Now

Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Demonizing

Demonizing

Why is it most of us, if not all of us seem to demonize people who they disagree with? This question has nothing to do with this site or the Internet. Just an observation I have noticed among our society. 

Posted - July 19, 2018

Responses

• Because we see people we disagree with as threatening. They threaten to upend our way of life, so they can't be tolerated, they have to be demonized, insulted, and destroyed. 
      July 19, 2018 12:51 PM MDT

This is destructive. We need to earn how to disagree respectfully while respecting the opinions of others. I’d much rather be engaged in a civil exchange of ideas and beliefs. 
      July 19, 2018 12:53 PM MDT

• So would I. But all one has to do is look at the state of modern politics and wonder if civility is even possible anymore. It may be between friends, but I think on a national level we are letting go of it. And it's unfortunate. 
      July 19, 2018 1:45 PM MDT

We all have insecurities.  Some times people let those insecurities take over their point-of-reason and go into defense mode.   It can be very humiliating and sometimes leave permanent marks on a person.  Normally, it is all about the person demonizing and really has nothing to do with you. 
    It does more damage to them than to the person or subject they struck-out on.  It makes them seem unapproachable, irrational, and very one-sided.  Most people don't want to affiliate with a person like that. 
    Even if you don't agree, it is always good to let the other state their opinion too.  Every one has a right to that and every one's opinion matters. This post was edited by Merlin at July 20, 2018 8:45 PM MDT
      July 19, 2018 12:57 PM MDT

My belief mirrors Merlin.
    This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at July 19, 2018 1:56 PM MDT
      July 19, 2018 1:13 PM MDT

Not even almost everyone does that.  I don't.
      July 19, 2018 1:58 PM MDT

I dont do that either. 
      July 19, 2018 4:32 PM MDT

I am a debater, reasoned debate, put forward articulately.. but I confess I loathe Trump and enjoy being mean about him... However, I do find that what I encounter online is far short of respectful and in most cases where I encounter someone with strong opinions that are the opposite to my own, things degenerate rapidly when the other starts bringing personal insults into it... I always call that out, which really ends the discussion.. 

I will say another thing -  different nationalities do tend to behave differently.. this is a huge generalisation but some are more polite and civil...and I also find that people in real life behave much better and more civilly.. In general I find Brits tend to be fairly tolerant, get mad less easily and more actively avoid insults, perhaps because traditionally politeness is drummed into us.  

What does irk me is when people try to claim opinion as fact.. I can probably tolerate other's opinions, it's when they spout them as if they are fact... 
      July 19, 2018 2:16 PM MDT

Oh yeah.  That is me.

You should see me demonize.  All a person has to do is rip kids from their mother's breast because the mother needs shelter, side with our most feared enemy against our Laws and the Intelligence agencies that try and protect us, denigrate black people and Muslims and Mexicans and just in general be a NATIONAL DOWNER on a minute-by-minute basis.

I'm such an unfair demonizer.

And when I talk to a party that defends this against truth, justice and the American way, boy do I ever turn into a demonizer.  I call them stupid and retarded even.   Waking people up from the brain-dead state they choose to live in, may just save their pathetic lives.

I am not going to help them ruin mine any further if I can help it.

People who worship a DEMON are already deomonized, HONEY.

AND? THAT'S WHY!

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 20, 2018 9:19 AM MDT
      July 19, 2018 2:25 PM MDT

Our academic system originated in a sacred grove near Athens. The name was Akademos and it was sacred to the goddess of wisdom. The most famous member was Aristotle. Members thought they owned all knowledge. Anything discovered by outsiders was rejected. Oh, and "knowledge" meant anything they had figured out. Observations were considered "practical", not academic.

So you have a system that is focused on itself, inventing its own material, and claiming to be a source of authority concerning knowledge.

Luke 4:5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. 6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.

"Delivered unto me," get it? Satan is the god of earthly authority.

Are you starting to see some connections here? Knowledge and opinions are the same thing, based on authority instead of right/wrong, and miscreants are to be condemned and punished.
      July 19, 2018 2:54 PM MDT

You may be interested in listening to this:  https://soundcloud.com/youarenotsosmart/122-tribal-psychology
      July 20, 2018 8:47 PM MDT

i dont do that
      July 22, 2018 4:29 PM MDT