Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » Have you ever been anywhere really posh? Are you a culture vulture?

Have you ever been anywhere really posh? Are you a culture vulture?

I've been to the opera, and ballet and to a really posh place called Glyndebourne where for some reason you had to to bring a very posh picnic and had to stand up to watch the show!  These are not my normal stomping grounds but I did enjoy a bit of culture vulturing and have got a taste for it..  What made me think of this is that there is apparently a  Netflix like subscription thingy to an Arts based on demand thingy.. Marquee tv.. I wondered if anyone had ever heard of it, or tried it - it's apparently available in the US and Canada too.

Posted - July 20, 2018

Responses

Well I would not consider the arts "posh" because they are available in some form or other to anyone interested.  But yes we do spend a good amount of money on concert and opera and theatre tickets.  I envy your having gone to Glyndebourne!   Also over the years I have been fortunate enough to acquire a number of paintings and prints which we hang alternately in our home. 
      July 20, 2018 10:33 AM MDT

Well, I only went the once to Glyndebourne but it was definitely an experience to remember. Shakespeare's theatre is free if you are willing to stand in line.. Many of the museums have been free in the past, which is great, I used to visit the Natural History museum in my lunch break sometimes. 
      July 20, 2018 11:04 AM MDT

• I've been to posh areas, like Beverly Hills, Atherton, and Pac Heights, but they are places more to marvel at the opulent dwellings of the moneyed rather than experience high culture (unless you consider buying a $400 Versace belt sophisticated lol. I have been to the Polo Club in Atherton; now that's posh!). That said, I've long been a supporter of the fine arts. My parents have been taking me to the symphony and opera in San Francisco since I was a kid; I've also been to the ballet, seen a number of plays, and I enjoy going to museums. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 20, 2018 11:00 AM MDT
      July 20, 2018 10:36 AM MDT

That's cool, I think that passing on a love of those things, or at least to be able to allow them to experience those things to our kids is a wonderful thing. I never had that, and so didn't pass them on to my kids, my sons grew to love arts via their other gran and at uni.. I came to these things late. 
      July 20, 2018 11:01 AM MDT

When I was in the Navy we tied up in Naples then an overnight bus trip to Rome was arranged. 'Course we got a guided tour of the Vatican including the Sistine Chapel where Michelangelo painted on the  ceiling. Fabulous! 

The least posh place might have been the Golden Fleece Tavern in Portsmouth England where they serve a very cheap kind of beer made from apples called scrumpy. Had kind of a sour taste and would make you barf without warning after one or two pints -no time to run to the washroom so they had a false wood lattice floor which provided the convenience of patrons to just turn around and barf while keeping your seat. Guys would go there just to see how much they could consume before puking. Fun place!
      July 20, 2018 10:54 AM MDT

Ha ha Portsmouth is a pretty rough place but the Historic Dockyard is very cool, when my sons were little we'd take them there almost every weekend but erm I'd avoid the pubs there :P  Scrumpy is actually a rough kind of cider, made from apples, it's quite harsh but an acquired taste - unless there's a beer of the same name? Scrumpy is famous here :P
      July 20, 2018 10:59 AM MDT

ooh forgot to say, yes the Sistine Chapel is truly a sight to behold. 
      July 20, 2018 11:05 AM MDT

Yes -that was almost 50 years ago when I visited Portsmouth.  I've heard of scrumpy became a better quality product than it used to be. 
    That's one of the places I'd like to revisit some day.
      July 20, 2018 11:11 AM MDT

They are probably all posh now..and the lattice floor considered quaint :P
      July 20, 2018 11:14 AM MDT

• Culture vulture?  "No"  I live in a neighborhood where the people have more money than sense, but I just live there because it's a nice, quiet neighborhood.

July 20, 2018 11:08 AM MDT

Similar here.. most people from where I live have loadsa money and big expensive cars... Not me.. I just live here because at the time my Victorian house wasn't fashionable so it was affordable 
      July 20, 2018 11:41 AM MDT

I get taken to quite a few swanky places....Mostly I go to accompany my partner. ....in all my life I've never seen so many people so far up their own arse's that they are beyond saving....
    I cringe when I hear them speak and then  slyly look around to see if any faces are taking note of them....

It's  humours and also blatantly obvious they are following the camera guys about trying to get in on the shots being taken....lol

July 20, 2018 1:15 PM MDT

Depends on your definition of "posh".  I'm more into nature than frivolous shows of money and "culture".   The swankiest place I've ever saw was moss covered rocks beside a cooling waterfall, all hidden behind a canopy of trees.  The culture I enjoy are operas of frogs and crickets on a summers night.  Walking through galleries of forests and meadows silhouetted by snow-capped mountains.  Watching fish swim in a crystal clear mountain stream.  If that counts as "posh", then yes.
      July 20, 2018 1:21 PM MDT

I love nature too and yes, you cannot beat it. Ponds, ocean, lakes and waterfalls are my favourite and to see something you don't often see, be it a flower or a moth... I guess I was thinking posh as in there is a set etiquette and/or something highbrow... I don't say the latter is better for sure 
      July 20, 2018 2:25 PM MDT

i mightve but i cant remember
      July 20, 2018 4:30 PM MDT

I don't do posh. Sorry.
      July 20, 2018 4:31 PM MDT

When we travel abroad, posh is on the menu.

Most recently, my wife and I took her parents to Malta, for 8 days in May. We stayed at the Hotel Phoenicia in Valletta. Had a sea view suite. Swan-ky. Steps from oldtown, talk about culture...

I know you’re in the UK, ADDB, we vacationed in London about 4 years ago, stayed at the Corinthia in Whitehall. Really posh. Maybe you’re familiar?

This post was edited by Don Barzini at July 20, 2018 8:02 PM MDT
      July 20, 2018 7:10 PM MDT

The arts, even the so-called "high arts" or "highbrow", are not "posh" despite some of the arts critics you read or hear liking to give an air of superiority - though thankfully most don't have the pretentiously plummy accent affected by Brian Sewell! 

Their ticket prices may be high - but so are those for big-name pop and rock performers in major venues. 

Some venues may have traditions like formal dress - why not? It's a treat to yourself to get togged up for some occasion now and then even if not directly linked to the performance itself, and even though as audience member you are invisible to the performers beyond the front couple of rows.

The arts may be difficult to follow - but that's their challenge and it is not all that difficult to gain sufficient basic knowledge to help you understand hence enjoy it better. It would be a boring world if every cultural endeavour was as physically, emotionally and intellectually as simple as the motorway services' khazis' piped music and van-leasing adverts.   

Some arts reviewers laud their use of the word "accessible", implying many of the arts are somehow "inaccessible". They are all accessible to see or hear, but I think these critics mean "easy to follow". Yes, you have to make the effort to understand many art-works, helped by such aids as synopses, and for music actually listening to the appropriate radio programmes. Perhaps some reviewers, and indeed some publishers, think either effort on the part of the viewer or listener is wrong; or that their intended audience is incapable of following anything the least bit tricky. Though they may have a point, with the latter - some are, to use the managerial clap-trap, not only "consumers", but ones who want no mental nourishment from what they consume. Fair enough; it's their choice and they like what they "consume", but also their loss.

Some reviewers burble on about the arts needing to be "relevant", or to "attract a younger demographic". Relevant to what or whom, by whose criteria, and anyway, why? The latter is as patronising as it is poor English: all the arts are on offer to all ages, and most people's tastes and interests change and usually broaden, over the years anyway.

So "somewhere posh"? I suppose I could claim that if I explored the Sandbanks suburb of Poole - one of the most ostentatiously costly housing-estates in Britain.

Or a "culture vulture"? No. Vultures eat dead animals. I prefer my culture alive and healthy; actively such as in my hobbies, or in relaxing by appreciating some art-work whether modern or centuries-old.
      July 27, 2018 5:23 AM MDT