Active Now

Zack
Spunky
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Music » Can you give an example of a musical child prodigy?

Can you give an example of a musical child prodigy?

She's 14. o_O

Posted - August 1, 2018

Responses

• Yes, but it's not a recent one. Mozart was performing on piano at age 3. But then, he was a special form of genius.
      August 1, 2018 12:29 PM MDT

Indeed. Thanks.
      August 1, 2018 12:35 PM MDT

Love the special forms of genius.  :  )
      August 1, 2018 1:59 PM MDT

• "Amira Willighagen"  (she was twelve years old at this performance)

At age nine, she entered the Holland's Got talent show and won with the only training coming from watching YouTube videos and copying them.  No formal singing experience.  (here's that performance, in case you're interested) ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDqTBlKU4CE

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 1, 2018 5:55 PM MDT
      August 1, 2018 12:45 PM MDT

Here she is aged nine - watch the expressions on the faces of the judges. They simply can't believe what they are hearing - the voice of Maria Callas issuing from the throat of a baby.

And again, in the final

This post was edited by Slartibartfast at August 2, 2018 1:07 AM MDT
      August 1, 2018 4:26 PM MDT

• Thanks Slartibartfast.  Something you might not know about this event is that this poor girl was ridiculed by music coaches/teachers for attempting to do this without formal training.  They were worried that she could have ruined her voice forever. In truth, I suppose that was a possibility, but this was something that she wanted to do ... and they chastised her for it.

Now, almost five years, she has/is taking lessons, singing to vast audiences and is almost a fourteen year old millionaire (successful).  It would have been a real shame if she hadn't decided to do this.
      August 1, 2018 9:33 PM MDT

I did know that - and read comments from so-called experts bewailing her muddy diction, broken phrasing and poor breath support for the low notes. She was NINE, ffs. Of course her diction was spotty, she knew no Italian. Had no training for the breath to carry the phrases and support the mezzo range - but that voice of guileless purity no training can provide, it's a gift. Hup Amira - I just hope to God they don't burn her out pushing her too hard, too young.
      August 2, 2018 5:37 AM MDT

• I couldn't agree more.  :)
      August 2, 2018 7:10 AM MDT

August 1, 2018 1:08 PM MDT

This three-years-old boy can really feel the music and he conducts well!
    :)

August 1, 2018 5:55 PM MDT

August 1, 2018 6:37 PM MDT

One of my all-time favorite musicians.:
    Little Stevie Winwood. Born Stephen Lawrence Winwood on May 12, 1948, in  Handsworth, Birmingham.[7] His father, Lawrence, a foundryman by trade, was a semi-professional musician, playing mainly the saxophone and clarinet.
    The young Winwood became interested in swing and Dixieland jazz as a boy, began playing piano when aged four, and also soon started playing drums and guitar. He first performed with his father and his elder brother, Muff, in the Ron Atkinson Band at the age of eight.

Muff later recalled that when Steve began playing regularly with his father and brother in licensed pubs and clubs, the piano had to be turned with its back to the audience to try and hide him, because he was so obviously underage

While still a pupil at Great Barr School, Winwood was a part of the Birmingham rhythm and blues scene, playing the Hammond C-3 organ and guitar, backing bluessingers such as Muddy WatersJohn Lee HookerT-Bone WalkerHowlin' WolfB.B. KingSonny Boy Williamson IIEddie BoydOtis SpannChuck Berry and Bo Diddly.

He modeled his singing after Ray Charles.  He went on to join the Spencer Davis Group.  After the success with "Keep on running," he was able to finally buy his own Hammond B-3 organ. In 1966 he was asked to Join Eric Clapton and The Powerhouse.  He had a great friendship with Jim Capadli .  This was the birth of Traffic.
    Over the band's history, Winwood performed the majority of their lead vocals, keyboard instruments, and guitars. He also frequently played bass and percussion, up to and including the recording sessions for their fourth album.[18] While still in Traffic, Winwood was brought in by Jimi Hendrix to play organ for "Voodoo Chile" on the Electric Ladyland album

Winwood formed the supergroup Blind Faith in 1969 with Eric ClaptonGinger Baker and Ric Grech.  
    This list of his contribution to the music business is phenonminal.  I'm sure most of you know most of it.  So, instead of reading about him, how about listening to some of his stuff.  
    Thank you Steve Winwood for sharing your talents with all of us. :):)
    Here are a few classics you might recognize....

August 2, 2018 1:06 AM MDT

I like Steve Winwood a lot.
    :)
      August 2, 2018 5:44 AM MDT

YYeeeAAAAA!   He's got talent pouring out of every pore in his body.  He's so subtle with his low-key attitude many would never know.  I stopped about a 1/4 of the way through his credentials.  I didn't even mention his solo achievements.  Another cool thing I find Very impressive about him or with ANY person in the business is he never got caught up in the "glitter" of it all.  He has a had the same wife and four kids and doesn't make a spectacle of himself or his life.  He does it because he loves what he does.
      August 2, 2018 10:41 AM MDT

Great post followed by two songs, thanks for your introduction to the man (his story) and his music.  Just finished listening to the music with my coffee, they went VERY-WELL together...
      August 2, 2018 7:31 AM MDT

Hi Beans~ I'm so glad you enjoyed him.  I smiling, thinking, it is a nice way to start the day.   I turned him on and did the same. :) 
    In fact, I'm out the door to work which is a little over and hour drive and I'm going to take ol' Steve with me.
    Another great band to listen to if you get a chance is Steely Dan.  I can mix Steely Dan and Steve Winwood together and give my ears a fabulous treat all day!  I hope you have a great day and continue to listen to Steve Winwood when you think of it.  I'm tickled  I was able to expand your listening enjoyment. :) :) 

August 2, 2018 11:03 AM MDT

Now the day is over,
    Night is drawing nigh,
    Shadows of the evening
    Steal across the sky.

Now the darkness gathers,
    Stars begin to peep,
    Birds, and beasts and flowers
    Soon will be asleep. - Sabine Baring-Gould

Hope you had a good day.  I'll take your advice on the music.  Take Care:)
      August 2, 2018 4:02 PM MDT

I'm beaming! :)!  Can you feel my smile?  

Thanks Beans :) :)
      August 3, 2018 11:39 AM MDT

Just came by delivery:)
      August 3, 2018 1:32 PM MDT

Mozart was one.  Violinist Yehudi Menuhin. 
      August 2, 2018 8:18 AM MDT

dont know of any
      August 2, 2018 4:44 PM MDT