Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Legally speaking... if an ex leaves things behind at your house, how long do you have to wait before you can burn it all?

Legally speaking... if an ex leaves things behind at your house, how long do you have to wait before you can burn it all?

(I'm asking for a friend.)

Posted - August 1, 2018

Responses

Aha Aha Ah ha ha!!! You should do stand up.

August 1, 2018 8:44 PM MDT

Legally speaking you cannot burn it just yet anyway. 
    In most states you have to send a letter telling him/her where the items are and that they have until such date to pick them up. If not then they will be considered abandoned and disposed afterwards. 

Personally I would send a text....get your stuff or it is going to the dump. This post was edited by my2cents at August 2, 2018 9:57 AM MDT
      August 1, 2018 9:00 PM MDT

I keep telling you that I plan to stop by there and pick up all my tildes SOME DAY!  How could you even for a minute think of burning them?  That's just cruelty, plain and vindictive cruelty!   Grrrrrrrrr. 

~
      August 1, 2018 10:12 PM MDT

Keep that attitude up and I'll drown them!
      August 2, 2018 3:47 AM MDT

And people wonder why you and I broke up.  (Hint: it's not me, it's you.)

__
      August 2, 2018 4:04 AM MDT

I've never even considered waiting.
      August 2, 2018 1:12 AM MDT

Not sure what the laws are in our state, but I would think that serving a 30-day notice to remove the items or they will be disposed of at your discretion should satisfy legal requirements.  Frankly, rather than burn whatever it is, why not consider donating them and taking the tax deduction (if that's still allowed).
      August 2, 2018 9:59 AM MDT

I wish I could give AP twice. The donation option is genius! 
      August 2, 2018 11:42 AM MDT

Thanks. :)
      August 2, 2018 1:33 PM MDT

Remaining in a house or apartment filled with reminders of your former relationship can be tough, and there is a natural urge to get rid of it all and start fresh. However, before you start piling their possessions on the front lawn, you should take heed. While you are, as an occupant, legally entitled to dispose of items that are abandoned in your home, you have to first make sure they are abandoned. To do this, you have to give reasonable notice to your spouse that you intend to get rid of the possessions and give them a reasonable opportunity to make arrangements to retrieve their belongings. Once you have done both, and your spouse fails to take advantage of the opportunity, you are legally entitled to dispose of the items. If you dispose of the items before doing those two things, you may be liable for the cost of replacing the items. In the worst case scenario your ex could have your criminal charged with theft or mischief if you impulsively destroy or get rid of valuables that do not belong to you. In all scenarios, it is best to consult with a knowledgeable family lawyer as to whether you have complied with these requirements.

August 2, 2018 1:57 PM MDT

not sure but she needs to contact the guy and ask the guy to get all his stuff
      August 2, 2018 4:39 PM MDT

not sure but she needs to contact the guy and ask the guy to get all his stuff
      August 2, 2018 4:39 PM MDT

Send a letter of liability addressed to example: (Mr B A Knob)  informing them that they have 30 days to pick up their things, and if you do not hear anything from them within this time then you will take this to imply that they do not want those things, and will therefore destroy them. print your name, date it and sign it. This post was edited by kjames at August 3, 2018 5:11 PM MDT
      August 3, 2018 5:05 PM MDT