Active Now

my2cents
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Do you think there are many people who consider a cleaner environment more important than the economy?

Do you think there are many people who consider a cleaner environment more important than the economy?

More production means good for the economy but probability of more pollution for air, land and water. Does that matter? 

Would a government that put clean environment issues ahead of firing up the economy get much support? 

Posted - August 2, 2018

Responses

There are, and there’s no reason the two concerns have to be mutually exclusive. 
    It does matter, because at some point, likely in the not too distant future, our civilization will need to come to grips with uniting the two causes or civilization itself will grind to a halt.
    Befouling and depleting the planet is a course for disaster if nothing is done to mitigate the causes and move toward a more sustainable solution. 

In many places now, private industry is making strides in this direction, govt would be wise to get behind them, but we shouldn’t be holding our breath for that. Particularly under the current regime. This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 2, 2018 7:22 PM MDT
      August 2, 2018 4:34 AM MDT

Define "many".  There may be a few of them, there may be a lot of them, but how would I know?  Are you asking relative to quantity, percentage, ratio, etc.?
    ~
      August 2, 2018 4:35 AM MDT

'Many' is like on a sliding scale as people becoming aware and consider serious harm that pollution causes. A matter of caring as well. 
      August 2, 2018 4:48 AM MDT

The activity I describe is occurring in places around the world, from wind turbines in various seas, to solar farms and greenhouses in the desert in Spain, to the rise of electric cars, to countless small companies and farms converting to more sustainable practices.

You’re internet savvy, Randy, Google it. This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 3, 2018 12:15 AM MDT
      August 2, 2018 4:53 AM MDT

Why would I run to google just because someone posted something about it here?  You may be assuming that the question sparked my interest to the lint that I'd seek more, but that would be an incorrect assumption. 
      Thank you for the nod about my alleged savviness, but it might be undeserved. I'm not sure I possess that quality, as I'm not as adept in nor am I as enamored with google as the average person might be. 
    ~
      August 2, 2018 5:00 AM MDT

I do apologize for overestimating you, Randy. Be assured, I won’t repeat it.
      August 4, 2018 6:38 AM MDT

• "There used to be a lot of them, but we killed most of them ... you know, the Native Americans."
      August 2, 2018 7:34 AM MDT

Right. 
      August 2, 2018 9:34 AM MDT

I agree with Don Barzini.  There are definitely ways in which we can protect the environment without causing unemployment.  It would mean the possible re-training of people to work in a different area.  The wildfires in California and other parts of the southwest are a sure indication of environmental changes, some of which are man-made and some of which occur naturally.  Wind farms, solar energy, etc. are definitely worthwhile things to think about as opposed to the burning of fossil fuels. 
      August 2, 2018 9:55 AM MDT

i think so
      August 2, 2018 4:37 PM MDT

No, shareholders only care about profit.

Despite the amount of people requiring medical treatment for smoking relating illnesses, the government will never stop selling tobacco, the reason for this is because shareholders make billions of pounds off of it, and our taxes pay for the health care, in fact the cost of health care is for smoking related diseases is less, and the profit is extortionate. Smoking makes far to much money for the government to ever ban it, smoke for your countries ladies and gentlemen your country needs you! Even the electronic cigarettes have been lied about, all these do is make you more susceptible to upper respiratory cancer like that of the oesophagus which again studies show, yet your government denies, too much money folks, smoke, smoke, smoke until your grave!

Many countries are pushing smart meters into our homes in the billions, smart meters work on RF radiation, the IARC and the WHO class ALL RF radiation as a 2B carcinogen which increases your risk of cancer, because RF can cause cancer seen in heavy mobile phone users after 15 years of use. Now, imagine the increase of RF radiation in our environment in the last 15 years, wifi, mobile phone masts, television, radio, mobiles, and smart meters, microwaves, xray's etc, amazingly this increase has never been measured in it's entirety baring in mine, RF is a 2B carcinogen and increases your risk of cancer. 

Now, most RF devices are of choice, you can choose to buy them and use them and turn them off therefore the makers can omit liability, except smart meters, they are being forced into our homes, even made mandatory in some countries and the shareholders are NOT covered for liability for radiation, and it's done under the guise of saving energy and so the environment. But studies of mice and rats show that RF radiation causes tumours in the brain, heart, and liver, lowering of melatonin, sperm count, and heating of body tissues even in low RF radiation. The IARC didn't make the classification on a whim, they made it on the basis of thousands of studies that showed the link to cancer, yet Big energy companies and our governments only care about their shareholders, because if they are forcing smart meter's into our already RF filled homes, and RF increases the risk of cancer, how can that be good for the environment? (That's without the countless safety breaches of the devices which have already been shown to be hacked since 2009, and for which you can buy hack devices online).

Last night there was a program on about the UN who have employees in third world countries, raping children, and even paying for the children that come from them rapes. Yes the very people who are meant to be helping these poor poverty ridden countries are raping the children instead.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/united-nations-soldiers-paedophilia-un-child-rape-ngo-staff-a7648791.html

https://news.sky.com/story/charities-still-ignoring-sex-abuse-of-young-girls-and-women-by-aid-workers-11454893

This also brings up the child abuse in the catholic church were again, the perpetrators were never brought to justice.
    https://www.iicsa.org.uk/investigations/investigation-into-failings-by-the-catholic-church

Then there was the child abuse case that was thought to run through celebrities, MP's and possibly royalty, which again was never investigated.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/vip-paedophile-ring-abused-teenage-4721479

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10950111/The-alleged-paedophile-ring-at-the-heart-of-the-British-Establishment.html

So my answer is no, I don't think they give too hoots about the environment, or us and our families, I think the people running the show, are sick in the head and only care about their twisted perversions, money and power, and people should wake up and smell the filth.  They are NOT beholden to our laws, they have no law for them.

August 2, 2018 5:37 PM MDT

Pretty interesting -thanks. 
      August 3, 2018 12:18 AM MDT

I think most people are for taking good care of our planet.  We are charged with that responsibility. I'm thankful that so many are able to keep perspective and think for themselves about everything, including environmental issues. 
      August 2, 2018 6:03 PM MDT

Yes you want good clean air, land and water to be truly proud of one's country. 
      August 3, 2018 12:50 AM MDT

If you are trying paraphrase my answer you failed.  That comment of yours is yours only.  Your premise has nothing to do with my answer.  
      August 3, 2018 11:59 AM MDT

Oh.
      August 3, 2018 2:11 PM MDT

Are you talking about the same government that tried to stamp out drug use?
      August 2, 2018 6:39 PM MDT

It's a messy issue. Big Pharmacy wants to make tons of money pushing legal drugs and the other crooks are also doing well at pushing their product. 
      August 3, 2018 12:22 AM MDT