Discussion » Questions » Environment » What do you think could/should be done to help clean up and improve the environment?

What do you think could/should be done to help clean up and improve the environment?

A list of the 'greenest' countries: Iceland Switzerland Costa Rica Sweden  Norway Mauritius France Austria Cuba Columbia Finland..

And what are they doing...

https://www.conserve-energy-future.com/greenest-countries-earth.php

Posted - August 2, 2018

Responses

I have a real issue with styrofoam not being recyclable.  It just boggles my mind. 
      August 2, 2018 12:18 PM MDT

Styrofoam can only be recycled for reuse such as packing material.There are facilities that do accept certain styrofoam material. 
    Very useful stuff but unfortunately not very recyclable. I onetime cut up styrofoam containers , glued it all together -made a nice piece of art work and gave it a coating of grout put in the courtyard of the building I live but had to remove it when management informed me the stuff is very flammable. This post was edited by Kittigate at August 5, 2018 9:58 PM MDT
      August 2, 2018 1:10 PM MDT

Artwork, sounds wonderful. I ever thought of using grout like that.  Very clever. 
      August 4, 2018 4:54 AM MDT

I think every state in the US should have a facility that burns waste and turns it into energy.
    The Swedish do it, and have to import trash from other nations.
    Talk about sustainable energy!
      August 2, 2018 1:17 PM MDT

That's pretty good. 
      August 2, 2018 1:27 PM MDT

Make recycling mandatory. Have a recycle pick up crew who picks up recyclable items. This way people can put in bottles, paper, cardboard, etc. separate from their trash.  
      August 2, 2018 1:21 PM MDT

A lot of places have been doing that for years now  -although can only be encouraged,  probably not be made mandatory. 
      August 2, 2018 1:31 PM MDT

True. It’s wishful thinking. 
      August 2, 2018 1:33 PM MDT

It could be made mandatory ... especially if you use technology.
    Scan the address code on the garbage/recycling bin ... scan the items being dumped ... fine the address for illegal items (or items in the wrong bin).

We have technology now to sort garbage/recycling on conveyors.  Give it a decade, and we could do it at the curb if we wanted.
      August 2, 2018 3:46 PM MDT

We do already have that but it would be even nicer if all 50 states did. I agree.
      August 5, 2018 10:00 PM MDT

First, people need to be educated about the particulars, what they can do as individuals and companies to reduce their own footprints.  
    Widescale recycling and pollution mitigation and clean up should be incentivized by gov’ts at all levels to support it as industry, like what was done in the ‘30s with such smaller efforts as the Tennnesee Valley Authority and others. Put people to work in paying jobs restoring the environment. 
    Large industrial concerns that create large scale waste problems need to be held to account and required by law to engage in the maintenance of their local environments. Many do, but all need to. 

August 2, 2018 2:14 PM MDT

just hire people to clean it
      August 2, 2018 3:55 PM MDT

First figure out what you are talking about. "Clean up the environment" is like saying "theory of everything" - grammatically correct but too broad in application.
      August 2, 2018 6:27 PM MDT

'Cleaning up the environment' is a good way to make one's country great again. 

Next challenge: clean up the whole world and make Earth great again. 

Global cleansing.

So next time the aliens visit un they'll say: "man, what a clean planet you guys have!" This post was edited by Kittigate at August 5, 2018 10:01 PM MDT
      August 3, 2018 12:04 AM MDT

BTW you don't clean up the environment by making things mandatory. You have to find an actual correction to the problem. Making things mandatory is the choice of people who don't even know what the actual problem is.
      August 3, 2018 1:40 AM MDT

Part of the problem that pollution increases health care expenses and people are not making that connection. 
    I think it does make sense to enforce some things like corporations to cease or reduce polluting the air, land and water. 
      August 3, 2018 8:48 AM MDT

Recently I heard that Washington state has banned plastic drinking straws. Today I ran across this:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/the-new-york-times-sources-a-9-year-old-child-to-peddle-fear-of-drinking-straws

We got the same thing a few years ago when The Mother Earth News joined the movement opposed to high-flush toilets. The first thing they learned after the law was passed was that the pipes didn't work with low-flush toilets.

Same with freon in air conditioners. The ban was passed before any studies were completed, and it eventually came out that the danger was not as much as it had seemed at first.

Before that it was "Silent Spring" leading to a ban on DDT, and that is why we have a mosquito problem now. It eventually came out that DDT was not the danger they thought it was.

This is usual when you advocate a law. Lawmakers are simply incompetent.

August 5, 2018 11:19 AM MDT

No more plastic straws..?? How can I do my morning beer fix when my hands are too shakey to pick up a glass? 

Interesting. 
      August 5, 2018 12:50 PM MDT

Plant more Alder trees because Alder trees are one of the best trees at taking in carbon and releasing  oxygen. Alder trees are also good for improving the soil around them. Cheers and happy weekend!
      August 3, 2018 9:40 AM MDT

Then you can chop them down and use their wood for smoking salmon, thus releasing some of that precious CO2 back into the air.
      August 5, 2018 8:03 AM MDT

Simple answer...Mass human extinction. Let nature start over again.

August 5, 2018 8:06 AM MDT

Right. Hello Element99.. glad to see you back after a few days. 
      August 5, 2018 8:55 AM MDT

Thanks, eh. It's good to see everyone is still alive.
      August 5, 2018 10:23 AM MDT

Right On Element!  I back you up on this thought 100%. 
      August 5, 2018 10:04 PM MDT