Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Sports » I know it's just my opinion, but I think I may be the only one who finds Mixed Martial Arts just a violent beat-each-other-to-a-pulp sport?

I know it's just my opinion, but I think I may be the only one who finds Mixed Martial Arts just a violent beat-each-other-to-a-pulp sport?

I was at a restaurant with friends yesterday and the sport was on a TV. I was literally shocked and had to keep looking away. And I wanted to run in and save the bleeding guy being sat on and punched hard repeatedly.

No doubt, though, that every guy I saw seemed to be in great physical shape.

This image represents well what I saw.

Image result for mixed martial arts

Posted - August 8, 2018

Responses

I enjoy boxing and some of the MMA stuff. I get bored when they are just rolling around on the floor. 
    I also know that the ref will stop it if it gets to rough on one of the fighters.
      August 8, 2018 3:01 PM MDT

Rizz, above, also mentioned about the refs.

I might like seeing these greatly-in-shape guys "just roll around on the floor"!! Ha!

You can check out my comments in other answers, too -- I let it upset me. I only really saw it yesterday for the first time at that restaurant. The visual of it all seems to me to be just two people beating the daylights out of each other.

I'm not finding the exact words --  other than I know I didn't enjoy watching it at all. Other than the attractive guys themselves, ha!
    :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 9, 2018 6:26 AM MDT
      August 8, 2018 5:16 PM MDT

i dont watch stuff like that
      August 8, 2018 5:26 PM MDT

I don't blame you. At this point, I don't plan on watching it much, either.
      August 8, 2018 5:39 PM MDT

I just can't stand it or even regular boxing.  I watched Cinderella Man last night and was sick at my stomach when I went to bed.  That sport is just stupid, in my opinion.  Jimmy Braddock was right in his premise that it is only popular because "men like you" found a way to make money off of it.  That's probably true of all pro sports but I prefer college sports, but even those now are just training grounds for the NFL draft.  I want to see it changed back to no early draft prior to graduation or use of four eligibility years.  Some of the best players, unquestionably, come from the ratty ghettos and never intend to finish college. So rather than the sport talent providing a way to a better life, it just propels those kids into large contracts with no understanding of how to handle such a life situation.  I hate reading story after story about it.   Scholarship rules, at the NCAA level, need to change.  Sorry, I got carried away.  
      August 8, 2018 10:32 PM MDT

I don't do so well with boxing, either.
    This MMA sport seems to have made money of the brutality of it all to me. You're much more in tune with the in's and out's of college sports than I am, I do know that.

I haven't seen "Cinderella Man" - -  I looked it up. I won't watch it. I watched "Raging Bull" once and had trouble watching that one.

This all ain't no beach music. (Though I guess that had rough spots emotionally for me, too.)

You didn't get carried away. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 9, 2018 12:51 PM MDT
      August 9, 2018 5:42 AM MDT

For example.

https://russian.rt.com/sport/article/543777-nurmagomedov-makgregor-ssha-boi
      August 9, 2018 2:59 AM MDT

Thanks for the link. I don't know that language, I'm sorry. But like I referred to in another comment, the guys themselves are enjoyable to look at, so, I can enjoy the photos of just the guys standing there or whatever.
      August 9, 2018 5:31 AM MDT

So then is your question do we agree with your assessment?  Don't know because have not see it.  But certainly many people love sports and competition and many people  seem to  love violence so they would be catering to an existing audience.  
      August 9, 2018 5:26 AM MDT

I think my assessment would be that I may be in the minority in my opinion. It's a strangely-worded question, yes. I was just trying to fit my thoughts into a question format.
    Your answer and "take" on the sport is probably true for some people.
    I was just terribly uncomfortable watching the little of it that I saw.
      August 9, 2018 5:34 AM MDT

As I am watching not only many things that pass for entertainment in this day and age but so much of what goes on in people's daily lives. All we can do is avert out eyes and not watch but we can't pretend those things do not exist. 
      August 9, 2018 6:49 AM MDT

Well-said, officegirl.
      August 9, 2018 10:58 AM MDT

It scares and saddens me too Welby.  I find nothing appealing about it at all. :( :(.  If I want to watch people beat each other up, I'd rather do it by watching People's Court.  I don't even like the Jerry Springer show. 
      August 9, 2018 7:12 PM MDT

I don't always do so well with those shows, too.
    Oh, my imagination flies - - in this mixed martial arts stuff -- I can think of many more much lovelier activities for two hot guys to engage in. And the guys I've seen are all attractive.
    ;)
      August 10, 2018 5:59 PM MDT

I cannot think of absolutely anything positive to say about it. I'm not even a boxing fan, and MMA is much worse than boxing. 

~

EDIT: the irony is that as a society we supposedly decry the rampant violence that occurs daily, yet we also glorify it and expose our children to it until they're completely desensitized to it.  By the time they grow into adulthood, they're completely indoctrinated into seeing violence and aggression as viable methods for resolving problems. 

This post was edited by Randy D at August 10, 2018 6:00 PM MDT
      August 10, 2018 2:24 AM MDT

Though I enjoy reading the responses I've gotten, there is very little, if anything, that I, too, can find positive to say about this sport, either (from the little I've seen of it).
    Strange hurtful stuff to me.

(No offense to those who enjoy watching it.)
      August 10, 2018 6:03 PM MDT