Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Language » Has an accent or pronunciation ever confused you?

Has an accent or pronunciation ever confused you?

Me: "Has Osama Bin Laden gone from terrorist to martyr?"
American friend: "We say tomayto".

Posted - August 14, 2018

Responses

SMH!

We are not all that stupid! (Even the ones who call tomatoes "maters" and potatoes "taters" aren't all that stupid... although saying "maters and taters" makes them sound as if they are)
      August 14, 2018 7:39 PM MDT

August 14, 2018 10:38 PM MDT

Me too. 

:|
      August 15, 2018 12:34 AM MDT

Nope, not this time. :)

The SMH (shaking my head) was at the quality of the joke. (to martyr/tomato)

I stand by what I said about "mater/tater" people. 
      August 15, 2018 5:34 PM MDT

I'm a dad, what do you expect? Mom jokes?
      August 15, 2018 10:12 PM MDT

• It reminds me of that commercial featuring an American ship sending a mayday message to a German ship: "We are sinking! We are sinking!" to which the German on the radio replies "Vat are you sinking about?"

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 15, 2018 7:15 AM MDT
      August 14, 2018 7:45 PM MDT

When I was about 19 or 20 years old, I was chatting up a young lady from a foreign country who was in the US attending college.  I asked her what kinds of things she liked to do, what were her hobbies, that sort of thing.  She rattled them off, they were the usual things for someone of our age group, but the last one really threw me for a loop.  Almost as an afterthought, she said, "Oh, yes, and I love cocaine."  I blinked, startled as could be.
      When I found my voice, I asked her, "Wait, you know that's illegal, right?"
      "Why would it be illegal?" she returned.
      "Because it just is, that's why!"
      "So you mean Americans don't like cocaine?" she asked me.
      I had to admit, she had me.  "Well, sure, some do, but it's still illegal."
      "That's silly.  Even my mother does it, she's the one who taught it to me."
      "WHAT?" I flipped my wig, "Your own mother is into cocaine too?"
      "Yes, and she's very good at it.  What's wrong with you?  People can't survive without cocaine."
      My jaw dropped, but she went on.  "All I know is that I miss my mother's cocaine, and it's hard for me to do here because I live in the dormitory," she said.
      "See, that's exactly why it's illegal!"  My head was beginning to hurt.
      "Lots of women do it in China, not too many men."
      "Here, it's illegal for everyone." I said, but she had already stopped paying attention to me.
      "Instead of making my own, I have to buy it already made," she continued.
      "S...so, so you're ... um, ... you're addicted to it?" I stuttered.
      "That's stupid, I just do it sometimes, not every day.  I've never heard of anyone being addicted to cocaine," she was quickly getting fed up with me.
      "LOTS OF PEOPLE ARE ADDICTED TO IT, THAT'S WHY IT'S ILLEGAL!" I wanted to get away from this druggie. ((Chinese women are crazy,)) I muttered under my breath, but I think she heard me.
      "I have to go, I'm hungry and I want to go see what they're cocaine for lunch in the cafeteria, don't be here when I get back, and don't try to find me, bye."  ((American men are crazy,)) I heard her mutter under her breath,  She KNEW that I heard her.

~
      August 14, 2018 10:39 PM MDT

SMH at this, too! 
      August 15, 2018 5:36 PM MDT

• An Arkansas State Trooper pulls over a pickup truck, walks up to the vehicle and says to the driver, "Got any I.D."  The driver replies, " 'bout wat?"
      August 15, 2018 1:55 AM MDT

An older guy I had to work with one time always wanted to talk about God;  at first I thought he was talking about a goat -due to his thick accent.
      August 15, 2018 2:18 AM MDT

I'd prefer goat talk! 
      August 15, 2018 5:37 PM MDT

Happens all the time. I hit back with my Scottish accent. 
      August 15, 2018 2:36 AM MDT

Och aye the noo
      August 15, 2018 3:04 AM MDT

I had a coworker at the prison and it took me a couple of years to understand one of my coworkers. He had a thick African accent coupled with one of the deepest voices I’ve heard. It was impossible to understand him on the phone. I finally was able to understand what he was saying. I was far from the only one who couldn’t understand him. 
      August 15, 2018 5:39 PM MDT

not yet
      September 12, 2018 3:54 PM MDT