Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Was there ever a time in your life where you felt 'defective'?

Was there ever a time in your life where you felt 'defective'?

Whether it was overall, from abuse, from work, in a relationship or growing up... did you overcome it, and if so, how did you not identify with what 'happened ' to you?

Posted - August 16, 2016

Responses

• defective? ... as in realising you have fears and doubts like everyone else ... That you're not the next player of sports or not quite the sharpest tool in the shed?
    Of course. .. Then I realise that most People are like me but we stumble through life looking for answers and take enjoyment where we can and learn what we can .. One of life's great ironies is there is no instruction manual. .. It's all on the job training. ..But we survive and grow and often look back and laugh at ourselves
      August 16, 2016 9:35 PM MDT
  • D&D

Every day. I'm only a product of cum and a bang, and so are you all. 

August 16, 2016 9:44 PM MDT

Defective as in you are not good enough for certain things, because of identifying with something very negative that happened to you. Where you feel like others are full, capable, worthy beings, but you are not.. I do like how you said that we also have to take enjoyment where we can, and learn what we can :) Ty so much Oz *hugg

August 16, 2016 10:03 PM MDT

• All of it.

August 16, 2016 10:11 PM MDT

There really is no reason for me but alot of times I ask myself why. Why bother? Why wake up everyday? Just why? Im a Christian and this alone keeps me going. Dont get me wrong I have an ok life. I really should be greatful but I feel I could have done better in life. Not let so many people down in my life.
      August 16, 2016 10:58 PM MDT

• Similar events can happen to two people. .. One shrugs it off and the other is traumatised by it ... Shakespeare once said nothing is either good or bad, thinking only makes it so ..... I do believe the key is how you view the event ... and if that is true then possibly changing your viewpoint can change your reaction to the event ... How to do that? I think it's probably different For each of us ... its probably a voyage of self discovery ... Don't forget to pack something warm :)
      August 16, 2016 11:35 PM MDT

*like*
      August 17, 2016 12:05 AM MDT

Yes.  I'd say for the first half of my life. :-)

August 17, 2016 3:05 AM MDT

August 17, 2016 3:06 AM MDT

• And it has endowed you with wisdom and gripping writing skills.

August 17, 2016 9:15 AM MDT

Does that feeling ever prevent you from not doing normal things, like it does for me? I never ever date or have had any real love b/c I feel unwhole/defective. I want it so much but then feel like I'd be a joke as a gf b/c I have had so much anxiety, abuse... and even though I would give so much love, wouldn't someone eventually want someone who doesn't have anxiety or abuse in their past? I'm so sorry you felt defective all your life ... I know deep down, we are NOT defective, we are amazing , wonderful beings; yet my fear subconscious seems to want to trump what I know the truth is :/

August 17, 2016 10:26 AM MDT

• I remember feeling a bit "defective" for being too introverted and shy, for having almost no sex drive, and for having too much anxiety (which only increases anxiety)...although I've felt this way in the past, I can't say I ever feel this way now. 

August 17, 2016 10:29 AM MDT

That is not a word I associate with myself.  It sounds like  broken, damaged and something is wrong. 

I have had every negative emotion and feeling possible, but that particular word just never came to mind.  I'm more likely to feel like I was surrounded by others whom I deemed to be defective.

August 17, 2016 10:30 AM MDT