Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Political advertisements

Political advertisements

Is anyone else living in America sick and tired of political ads? Do people really base their voting decisions on commercials? If so, why?

Posted - August 19, 2018

Responses

They're full of lies, lies, and more lies, regardless of "positive" slant or "mudslinging" slant.  I can't stand them.
    ~
      August 19, 2018 4:58 PM MDT

I couldn’t agree more. 
      August 19, 2018 5:06 PM MDT

Of course. But get used to it, as the election cycle is about to launch into full tilt mode. We should remain cognizant of the bias inherent in each, and weigh our vote accordingly. 

There are factions of political parties who are convinced that incessant repetition of a message, true or false, can control the minds of the masses.  If we draw from the example of inculcated religions, there’s some truth to be found there. People don’t do their own research, and the sheep are many. 

August 19, 2018 5:29 PM MDT

I know it’s only going to become worse. I switch the channel when political commercials are aired. It amazes and concerns me people actually believe these commercials. 
      August 19, 2018 5:36 PM MDT

Maybe you could see it in the light that the political commercials will, for a time, bump out the tiresome pharmaceutical ads. 
      August 19, 2018 5:42 PM MDT

Both are equally nauseating. 
      August 19, 2018 5:43 PM MDT

Or, as I mentioned in my answer, auto insurance ads.
      August 23, 2018 7:16 AM MDT

Political advertisements can go the way of the doo doo bird. This post was edited by Zack at August 23, 2018 7:15 AM MDT
      August 19, 2018 5:44 PM MDT

I don't watch TV so am not bothered by such things.
      August 19, 2018 11:34 PM MDT

I am rapidly becoming tired of all things political.
      August 20, 2018 7:56 AM MDT

Hello RIZZ
    Fortunately I have not had to suffer through any political ads as of yet. I do not have T.V. service, or a t.v. for that matter. 
    However, when I hear any politician speak, in any circumstance it sounds just like a political ad complete with pandering, talking points and hyperbole. Everyday since they were first elected has been spent campaigning for their next election. I am sure every word of every answer or statement has been scrutinized and practiced to ensure they offend the least amount of people in whatever base they are trying to reach at the moment while at the same time spouting empty promises of "glittering prizes" to a gullible crowd. They assert their moral superiority with anger and disgust over their opponents exaggerated moral deficiencies.  
    Yes, I am sick of it, No, I dont believe it and
    No, I do not base my vote on anything they say..rather on how they have voted themselves. This post was edited by designer at August 23, 2018 9:55 AM MDT
      August 21, 2018 9:51 PM MDT

It amazes me that we elect any of them.  They act like 5 year-olds calling each other names and throwing slaps at one another. 
    Another thing that eludes me is how much money actually goes into to advertising themselves.  I tend to want to vote for a person whose actions speak louder than the TV station I am watching at that moment.  Besides, they cut my movie just so I could hear what they have to say.
    The way to get my vote is no TV advertising.  Save that money so I know once in office you aren't going to frivolously spend it.  Put on your shoes and show me how you are going to make a difference.
    Almost anyone can read a script someone else wrote for them.  That isn't talent.  That is trained behavior.  With the right lighting and make-up, we all look 110 % better than in real life. Show me who you really are not what the TV make-up artist can do.  
      August 21, 2018 10:16 PM MDT

Not as much as auto insurance ads. Each company claims to offer the best and cheapest insurance. They can't all be telling the truth.
      August 23, 2018 7:18 AM MDT

i dont look at thenn
      September 9, 2018 4:55 PM MDT