Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » What is the worst physical pain you have ever felt?

What is the worst physical pain you have ever felt?

Posted - August 30, 2018

Responses

Once I got swarmed  by a gang in Vancouver it was pretty painful until I did something punky and passed out. Guess I'll go with  #6 on the pain chart. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at August 31, 2018 9:16 PM MDT
      August 30, 2018 8:58 PM MDT

• I've had intestinal cramps that were so debilitating I had to do everything to keep from screaming. Additionally, I once fell off my bike (or rather, on it) and the gear jammed into my leg (the scar was visible for years); that caused a searing pain that was enough to make me cry at age 16. 
      August 30, 2018 8:58 PM MDT

Labor was quite a challenge.  I did it drug free the first go around. 

Bone on bone arthritis in my knees, living in a three-story house, was very painful at times. 

Abscessed teeth hurt so badly you just wish to be unconscious.

I experienced tremendous pain after knee replacement surgery during the rehab with both knees.  I understand there is a new procedure that allows much less pain and a shorter recovery.  That is wonderful for those who are going to have that surgery.  It is wonderful, life changing surgery.  Hip replacement as well.  I have not needed that, and don't expect I will.  My knees were bad starting at age 14.

Arthritic basal joints (thumb/wrist) were extremely painful and kept me from being able to use my hands in many ways.  I've had surgery on both of them and really felt like I had my life back.  Folks, take care of your hands. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at September 3, 2018 1:47 AM MDT
      August 30, 2018 9:01 PM MDT

Thanks. Now I know what I am in for. I need a new shoulder, wrist and lower back. A can't decide which to fix first. I will be using that insurance I have.
      August 30, 2018 9:05 PM MDT

People in my family have had back and shoulder surgeries and are all better for it.  I sure wish you well.  I guess you are talking about Medicare.  I didn't have that when I had surgeries; I was still on the AT&T insurance at that time.  

The wrist surgeries didn't cause me pain but it was inconvenient as hell because you are an invalid for two months (four total months).  My doctor wouldn't consider doing both at one time which now I'm glad he wouldn't.  
      August 30, 2018 9:11 PM MDT

Medicare/Tri-care for military retirees. (free). Let's slice and dice me.
      August 30, 2018 9:18 PM MDT

Reading certain posts on AnswerMug. (Don't worry; yours are not included on that list.)

~ This post was edited by Randy D at August 31, 2018 7:18 PM MDT
      August 30, 2018 11:45 PM MDT

• I'll go with "intense."

August 31, 2018 4:51 AM MDT

The first time I broke a wrist, on a scale of 1-10, it was a 37. It was was a Colles Fracture and I was in the ER forever before I saw a doctor and got a shot for pain. They didn't do surgery and even after  it was set, I was in a lot of pain for weeks. In contrast, with my second broken wrist (a reverse Colles fracture - done at the same time I broke the opposite shoulder), I got a shot for pain in the ambulance, had surgery and very little pain during recovery.

Colles Fracture:

This post was edited by Jane S at August 31, 2018 11:23 AM MDT
      August 31, 2018 5:38 AM MDT

Probably a migraine. I couldn't move a muscle or even open my eyes or else there would be horrendous, debilitating pain surging through my head. Even sounds and lights triggered unbearable pain. Thankfully the ultra hardcore migraines don't happen often anymore.
      August 31, 2018 5:51 AM MDT

About a month ago I swallowed a bit too much ice cream and the brain freeze felt like a knife was stabbed into my head but only lasted less than a minute.  If that is anything like what a migraine feels like I don't know how anyone could tolerate that for hours or days ongoing. But I been fortunate never had servere pain that lasted more than about an hour or so.

I think it is interesting that nature can create various molecules to produce toxins for plants,  insects and reptiles to cause extreme pain and death for victims but why not create a molecule to produce a substance that would relieve extreme pains. Like suppose one is injured or burned etc the substance would go to the brain or area of pain to give some relief so the person  (or any species, not only human) is at least not screaming in agony.
    Nature -or God the creator if he exists- seems indifferent to suffering when relief could be made possible you might think. 
      August 31, 2018 8:39 AM MDT

Marijuana works well.
      August 31, 2018 10:09 AM MDT

Yes but me and pot have never got along well together.  I tried smoking many times for pleasure but usually just makes me feel drowsy and even sick sometimes  I did medical marijuana tea for muscle pain and it was effective for a time but I began having undesirable hallucinations. I eventually discovered kratom which has been working fine. It is a legal opiod and the problem is one develops tolerance and may have to keep taking more. Year and half ago I did 3 grams now need about 10 grams to be effective. Addictive too seems when I went off ithe stuff for a while i couldn't get sleep for a few days and sweating a lot. This post was edited by Kittigate at September 1, 2018 11:32 AM MDT
      August 31, 2018 10:38 AM MDT

Actually in cases of extreme injury that is what happens. I crushed 3 vertebre in my neck and it did not hurt at all. The large bruise on my hip hurt much more. Because my brain did not block it out. Doctors said it was because of the trauma my body blocked the pain from my neck to protect me. And that it allowed me to free the hip because it was not as major so feeling it would likely be alerting me to a problem I could fix. 

September 1, 2018 11:07 AM MDT

The subconscious has ability to block pain in certain circumstances and fortunately that happened for you in this instance. Extreme pain can kill a person sometimes; was a noted instance of a young healthy soldier dead from a heart attack after struck on the kneecap by a bullet.
      September 1, 2018 6:08 PM MDT

Passing a kidney stone was about a 12 on the 1-10 pain scale.
      August 31, 2018 9:48 AM MDT

My pain is all mental. The worst kind.
      August 31, 2018 10:31 AM MDT

When I had pneumonia several years ago. I was I never the hospital for a week. My pain was a 9.5. My Dad hand to come pick me up and take me to the doctor. It took me 15 minutes to walk from the living room outside to the driveway. It hurt to move. It hurt to cough. It hurt sneezing. That was absolutely awful. 
      August 31, 2018 9:19 PM MDT

Passing a kidney stone
      September 1, 2018 8:10 AM MDT

I can only imagine.  I hope that in the past....the way past.
      September 2, 2018 11:22 PM MDT

Child birth.
      September 1, 2018 6:20 PM MDT

gallstones
      September 7, 2018 2:47 PM MDT