Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » What was your last humbling experience? If you don't want to describe it - how did it make you feel/what was the impact?

What was your last humbling experience? If you don't want to describe it - how did it make you feel/what was the impact?

Sometimes the unexpected can hit us square between the eyes and lead to a valuable and humbling lesson..  For me it came from a Netflix series.. There was a large amount of corruption leading to injustices.. I really hate injustice, I have a problem with it.. People made, what I consider bad choices.. which betrayed others..  And that never sits comfortably... But I began to question.. if I were in their position.. would I do the same? I'd hope not but can I really know? I can't, I cannot know their life history, their experiences and the things that led them to betray..  

I felt very down about all this.. I hate to think that people are so easily corruptable.. where's moral fibre gone.. .where's loyalty..  but if I cannot guarantee that I wouldn't do the same, say to protect my family... and I am as bad as them... then surely I cannot judge others for their betrayals? Their lack of loyalty?  

I talked to my current counsellor about it.. He said that to betray, to be corruptable.. is human.. maybe to sit and believe we wouldn't do this or that is also human.. But it has made me think and it has been a very humbling experience..

Now I should add..  I almost never watch tv and I really don't DO series-es, but this one was recommended for me years ago by my son's ex-fiancee and I got hooked.  

Posted - September 7, 2018

Responses

when i had a colonoscopy done and later they gave nne this folder with the results, later on that night i was looking at it and realized 4 of those 7 papers werent even nnine, so i ended up nnailing it back to the hospital with a note explaining how i got thenn. and i called thenn nnonday to tell thenn it was in the nnail. i didnt know what else to do, i didnt want to trash thenn
      September 7, 2018 1:23 PM MDT

I'm curious, how did you know 4 of those photos weren't yours.
      September 7, 2018 1:31 PM MDT

cause under the patients nanne it had sonneone elses nanne on it
      September 7, 2018 1:33 PM MDT

I thought that might be it.
      September 7, 2018 1:40 PM MDT

I've known for years (read it a long time ago) that what happens to you in life is less important than what you tell yourself about what actually happened.

I found myself making a doctor appointment to get on a short term regiment for depression.  The few days before my appointment, what I stated in the first sentence above finally dawned on me as a present reality and I was out of my depression and had myself righted within a week.

It's humbling to know that you can know and preach something and still fail to realize you have slipped into doing it anyway.

[As F. Sheed once observed in Theology and Sanity, we possess our being in parts---(and) it is a great limitation.]
      September 7, 2018 1:40 PM MDT

So very true and I think we have all been there. 
      September 7, 2018 1:46 PM MDT

Yesterday, but I won’t discuss it. It’s personal. Extremely personal. Only those extremely close will know about it. My last humbling experience before that was I went up for a promotion at work. Lieutenant to be exact. I was arrogant and wrongfully felt entitled to the position. After the interview boards were over, after the decision were made, they called me in. They said I knew the answers and our policies by the book. The problem they had was my arrogance during the interview. They rightfully said that isn’t a good trait for someone looking to promote. It put me in check, humbled me, and reminded me there’s a fine line between confidence and arrogance. I have checked my ego.  
      September 7, 2018 1:52 PM MDT

Agreed some things are not for sharing.. and the important thing is that you can reflect upon it.. Re the promotion.. that must have been an unpleasant experience.. but the positive is that you learned from it..and grew as a person.. I used to find it impossible to take criticism. too. I have learned to do so and to use it to improve. Constructive criticism is definitely a blessing in disguise. 
      September 7, 2018 4:11 PM MDT

I can honestly say I have been open to constructive criticism in my adult life. I draw rhe line when it turns into demeaning people, insulting them, and putting them down. I’m a huge believer in constructive criticism. I’m also a bigger believer in giving praise when it’s earned. We need to know when me make mistake. We also need to know when we’re doing a good job.  

This reminds me of a story when I was a rookie at work. I was barely a few weeks in the job and out of training. This was the stage where you were moved around to different posts every day to learn every post. I was put in a unit with an old school corrections officer who was in charge. I made a small rookie mistake. Rather than use constructive criticism he chose to belittle me, cuss me out, insult me, and put me down in front of inmates and other coworkers. I told him to meet me in the office alone. Before he could say anything I said, “I don’t give a **** who you are, you will not ever speak to me like that again. Especially in front of others. If you ever speak to me like this again we will have major problems. Don’t make me losing my job by beating your a**.”  He never disrespected me again. Had he been constructive I would have been receptivk accepting, and calm. 
      September 7, 2018 4:24 PM MDT

I can't remembered the last time I was humbled. I don't let it happen.
      September 7, 2018 1:53 PM MDT

Interesting... I used to be a little like that.. 
      September 7, 2018 4:12 PM MDT

It was back when I was young and stupid and I picked a bar fight with a Patricia. The Princess Patricia's are part of Canada's light infantry  their motto is We Shall Find A Way and he found away to  avoid every thing I threw at him. It made me feel humble and kind of punkie plus I got called Rocky Racoon for awhile (he blackened both my eyes). Cheers! 
      September 7, 2018 4:49 PM MDT