Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » DO men have a problem with being objectified?

DO men have a problem with being objectified?

This was raised on Radio 4's weekend women's hour.. I never heard the answer.... so I wonder... 

Posted - September 8, 2018

Responses

It's not confined .. I am happy always to read any thoughts around the subject.. 

Tee hee your comments remind me of my aunt who is 73 or was at the time..  She was caught flirting with one of my facebook friends.. the guys ahem girlfriend contacted me and told ME off.. I said it had nothing to do with me and I didn't know anything about it.. I contacted my aunt.. and she said.. well the day I stop flirting will be the day I die.. I love her attitude :) And anyway the guy was flirting with her too so as I see it it was mutual. 
      September 9, 2018 11:46 AM MDT

Perhaps you need to explain just what that means to you.  I think (from my point of view) many men are objectified and perhaps most would like to be if only they could be. 
      September 9, 2018 6:26 AM MDT

Good point but I suppose for me.. while I assumed it was referring to objectified as sex objects I didn't actually know what it meant to them and so I didn't and couldn't know what it meant to people on here..  I was interested to find out.. It may be possible to answer the question on many levels, I don't know.. 

I just had a look to see if objectification can mean several things.. wikipedia says, ' In social philosophy, objectification is the act of treating a person, or sometimes an animal, as an object or a thing. It is part of dehumanization, the act of disavowing the humanity of others.' (not usually a fan but in this instance I concur in that it fits with what I had in mind, which hopefully answers your point) 
      September 9, 2018 6:39 AM MDT

• I'm sure some do, yes. Anyone can be objectified, regardless of gender. Sometimes I go to a party and it seems like I'm looked at like I'm just a hot piece of ass. What about my personality?! *tsk tsk*

September 9, 2018 10:32 AM MDT

I have the exact opposite problem: women seem to think that all I am is a brain. I'm tired of being seen as a sense object, I happen to have a body, you know, and I would like to be drooled after for it! Grrrrrrrrr. 

~
      September 9, 2018 11:51 AM MDT

What its not enough for us to drool over your brain?
      September 10, 2018 6:45 AM MDT

LOL, no. 

:)
      September 10, 2018 6:54 AM MDT

Well I'd have to day YES if they have a HUGE cock and know how to use it.........just like a gal with big titties, etc.,  same damn thing!!
    both can be objectified!!!!

:-D

:)

September 10, 2018 8:45 AM MDT

Well a lot more than just those can be "objectified".   And I would point out that while a few of us may be what I think are called "size queens" that for most of us a man's size is more just a novelty or a conversation piece like his car or the brand of clothing he wears rather than anything more vital or important. Even if he does know how to use it!
      September 10, 2018 8:52 AM MDT